Jamis Parker I Freeride Full Suspension

Parker is whatBMX bikes wantTo grow upTo be—flickably light, incredibly stiff, withjust enough suspensionTo let you whipThrough a dual-slalom course likea greased snake, powerThrough corners like Jamis ProTommyT, and landcleanly when launched atThe bike park. But it’s Parker’strail riding versatilityThat’s its real strength. Designed not just forgate racers or slopestyle flyers, but for riders looking for somethingin between an XC and freeride bikeThat’s builtTight for ab

[Jun 10, 2012]
orangedotz
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Looks SWEET!!! Very Plush. Extremely stout frame construction.

A bit heavy.

2009 Parker 1: Very nice bike. She flies down hill with the best of them. The bike can easily be used as an all mountain bike as well. The Candy Apple Red paint job cant be beat. She is a little on the heavy side. She hugs the corners like a champion. Launching is a little tricky as the rear geometry seems made for landing large drop ins.

[Nov 07, 2011]
chelboed

OVERALL
Strength:

-2:1 suspension leverage ratio feels like much more than 100mm
-Descends very well
-Nimble
-Tough
-Versatile

-Heavy
-Short seat tube, seatpost, and crank arms make for tough climbing.
-FSA / Gravity Step Up crankset is a full lb heavier than something like an Atlas FR.
-Formula / Alex wheelset (though really tough) is 1-2lbs heavier than my Pro2/EX5.1d wheelset

This bike could theoretically be built as a 30-31lb slopestyle rig with a little patience and cash. 36.25 as it sits.

I bought this bike b/c I moved away from my city with nearby trails. I had nothing to do but urban. This bike is great on stairs and walls.

Within the last month or two, I have found some new trails around a local lake. Smooth and flowy with some baby-head sections...some shoreline trails with 1-3 foot boulder drops. This bike is fun on all of it. It pedals well for a 36lb 4oz ride, but will wear me out on the climbs. (granny gear works well...use it) It's fun on slow techy trails, slow techy climbs, flowy singletrack, stairs, 2-6'ledges, etc... Very versatile. My only regret is that i didn't spend another $500 and get the Parker 2. 2.5lbs lighter with a little more adjustability.

The 2:1 leverage ratio eats up drops really well...feels like much more than 100mm of rear travel. Great compliment to the 160mm Domain 302 U-Turn fork. I swapped out the Domain spring for a firm b/c of my weight, but only need around 160psi in the rear shock thanks to the 2:1 ratio. This leverage will prolong the air seals and becomes very progressive at the end of its stroke for big drops.

The wheelset really impresses me. It's heavy, yet pretty tough for an inexpensive wheelset. I'm generally not one to do drops-to-flat b/c I'm 200lbs+ and know what it does to equipment, but I've done 4' to flat with it and not had to touch a spoke wrench. Over the past 6months or so, I've only had to touch up the wheelset one time as a 100mi retension.

My plan is to eventually swap out the wheels for something a tad lighter to reduce rotational weight. Replace the crankset with 175mm arms and an external type BB. This will save me 1lb alone, not to mention the more pedalable longer arms. The seatpost/saddle combo is about 5oz heavier than it needs to be...given the nature of the bike, it's not really an issue. If you are planning on making this a good "do it all" bike...the saddle is an easy place to save some weight...and the seatpost will yield me full pedal extension with a 400mm post. I'm considering moving to an Easton EA70 bar. I've never broken a Monkeybar at my 200lb rider weight. The HiRise is perfect for me, and saving 1/4lb in a bar is pretty significant.

These changes will put me in the 31lbs range. I had thought about selling it and trying to find an AM/Trail rig, but this bike with the "Curnutt leverage ratio" is just way too fun. 100mm of 2:1 travel is absolutely perfect for me.

The silly weight weenie stuff doesn't make this bike a bad value at all. It still performs very well bone stock.

Canondale single pivot's
GT dually's
Jamis XLT
Stumpy FSR

[Jul 23, 2011]
Will Saylor

OVERALL
Strength:

Everything

Brake pads suck

I'm not sure what year this review page is for but I bought the 2010 Parker 1 from Jenson USA and it was worth every penny. I do a lot of all-mountain riding but I still want a bike that bombs the downhill course and freeride parks as well. This bike is it. Yes it's a little rough on the uphills, but that's a small price to pay for a bike that does this many things well. And if you drop the rock shox domain fork down to 115mm, it rides much more like an all mountain/cross country bike, which helps on those hills. Also, the 2.35 Kenda Nevegals do everything well. Buy this bike if you are a little closer to freeride than you are to all mountain.

[Jul 11, 2011]
svtspeed

OVERALL
Strength:

Can scream downhill, can take pretty much anything you throw at it. I did an xterra race last week and people couldn't hang on the decents.

HEAVY! But it will definitely build up your legs. Cables are all over the place as well. and the way that the rear suspension is set up makes it difficult to get on certain bike racks, check before you buy a bike rack to make sure the Parker will fit on it.

Fun Bike, jumps like a dream, goes downhill like a dream, works you like a mule on the climbs, but is well worth it on the decents.

[Jun 27, 2011]
bome

OVERALL
Strength:

Confident booster! Plush suspension, burley, and just overall fun to ride

hayes ryde seem to lack in the power department. I plan to switch them out, and upgrade the domain to the 318 is needed.

For the price you cant really beat it. It's is great for anyone trying to be diverse. I've hit DJ's, urban rides, and xc trails and it was fun on all the different riding disciplines.

transition bottlerocket

[Nov 05, 2010]
mrniceguy42

OVERALL
Strength:

2:1 ratio, good geometry

heavy

I bought this frame one year ago (first gen frame 2008) and i thought id give my 2 cents. First off, if you have been contemplating buying the frame on jenson because its so darn cheap, just do it so you can be ridin already! I bought this frame for mostly XC use but i have ridden it just about everywhere. This bike climbs well oddly enough, however, it is meant to go down. Even though the frame only has 4", the 2:1 leverage ratio and the slack geometry with a low bb makes descending feel like a longer travel rig. Its a bit heavy but itll only make you stronger. The linkage bearings are kinda weak but swap em out and youll be good to go. I havent touched the rockshox bar in the back, still running strong after 40 days or so of generally rough riding.

reign, stumpjumper, fuel

[Sep 02, 2010]
joey462

OVERALL
Strength:

lots it is really all around good for me

this bike is really good i just ordered it because i wanted a better bike than my diamondback hardtail but i wanted to do everything on it and man its really good i went on a xc ride with tons of climbs this morning then went dirt jumping after work it worked amazingly on everything

[Feb 03, 2010]
insanitylevel9

OVERALL
Strength:

suspension design, name brand stem bars and seat post, the fork is very plush and the u turn spring is very useful.

stock tires and grips are trash and the rear shock is just ok.

great bike i use it for just about every thing, from long xc rides to light free ride(in other words all mountain). i have 2 other mountain bikes and i really only ride this one just flat out fun bike to ride.

demo'ed a few other slop style/all mountain bikes

[Jan 09, 2010]
XxWIZDOMxX

OVERALL
Strength:

great suspension design, awesome color, beefy chainstay and head tube, very maneuverable

slightly on the heavier side, shock could be upgraded but otherwise is fine

great bike, worth the money!

none so far

[Dec 06, 2009]
blooregard

OVERALL
Strength:

very solid all around bike has the potential to be built for almost anything

the shock kinda sucks

great bike

GT avalanche

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.