Intense Uzzi VP Freeride Full Suspension

Available At

ReferredTo asThe “swiss army knife” of mountain bikes,The Uzzi lives upTo its reputation by providing unparalleled versatility onThe mountain. With its 7”-7.5” adjustableTravel and adjustable G3 dropout, you can do anything with an Uzzi, from downhillTo enduro riding.NOTE: Complete bike picture for illustration purposes only.Features: 6061-T6 Aluminum frame using proprietary EastonTubes Comes with FOX VAN RC rear coil shock VPP (Virtual Pivot Point) suspension design yieldsThe perfect bal

[Feb 28, 2012]
Spencerstutzman
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Much lighter than equivalent products (7 inch bikes), Strong, plush suspension.

Initially thought it was the rear had some flex, and then realized i was only running 20 psi.

Excellent bike. My first all-mountain/light DH bike and it's a night and day difference from a 5.5 inch bike. Handles everything, inspires confidence, and the build quality is out of this world. On a side note, i love that it's a small company and an hour from my house. Much better customer service than trek...

[Oct 09, 2011]
ndinh

OVERALL
Strength:

Super plush travel, adjustability, climbing efficiency, raw finish is almost indestructable

little flexy in rear but will probably be unnoticable when I put a 12mm thru.

Amazing is the best word for this bike. I built it pretty light because where I ride, climbing is a must. It's at 7 fr and 7 rr which is perfect. This bike climbs better than every bike long travel I've owned in the past including my Rogue which I thought climbed well. I noticed that I was climbing in a higher gear than usual and wasn't dying at the top as usual. Pedaling efficiency is spot on. Pointing down, it tracks and carves turns like my SS and soaks up everything underneath from rocks to ruts. Intense recommends the bike sit at around 30% sag which is the perfect plushness. The DHX air with its on-the-fly propedal switch and Joplin 4R both make this the perfect AM bike. Can't wait to put the CCDB on for Big Bear. Highly recommended frame but sadly, my other bikes will be put on the auction block this week because they'll never see dirt again.

Intense VPX, Ellsworth Rogue, Foes FXR, Intense SS

[Sep 28, 2011]
Antonin
Downhiller

OVERALL
Strength:

An awesome style and a real quality design!
Beautifull weldings! INtense quality!

When I see some guys who said " more stiffness for the rear triangle" It make me smile...

A great great bike!

Intense Slopestyle, Intense 951

[Jul 03, 2011]
ogormley

OVERALL
Strength:

Versatile, adjustable, VPP platform is excellent for pedaling and descending. Paint is nice.

Yep, flexy back-end

OK, three months in and I can safely say this bike kicks ass. Fiddling around with the G3 drop-outs and adjustable travel, I've been able to trail-side convert this bike from a all-mountain pedal-happy climber to a wailing sick bag of downhill demonics.

My I9 wheels don't hurt but the frame is really capable across all types of terrain. It carries speed through energy-sucking loam pits and accepts heavy square hits with gratitude while remaining flickable over the chunder and agile in the tight corners.

Riding Burke this morning, I was struck by the speed and grace of this bike and wanted only to come home to brag about how good it is to a bunch of other dirt-lovers.

The Works Blue paint is gorgeous - I've never washed a bike so often just so I could stare at it.

I've heard Intense suck at customer service and their website looks a bit like a closed door but if I keep up a rigorous maintenance schedule I'll never need to find out.

Nothing

[Jun 12, 2011]
markp

OVERALL
Strength:

Weight, Looks,

Rear triangle far too flexy.Zerk grease fittings don't work. Low end shock for expensive bike. Seat post not reamed, crap FSA headset came stock, threw it out after 6 months replaced with Chris King

Wanted do everything bike capable of climbing up and descending the North Shore. Frame is just not made for serious riding. Rear triangle flexs like crazy and makes the steering feel very sketchy.

Really wish I bought the Nomad

?????????/

[Aug 17, 2010]
KO

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, Strong, Good looking frame, Super plush VPP, Geometry great for aggressive single track

Still looking

I own many bikes and have ridden Intense (and Santa Cruz) in the past, Blur, Blur LT, Spider and 5.5, and was not sold on VPP, it seemed overly harsh in the beginning of its travel. The other edge was that it was/is very efficient. Having said that I love the Uzzi, 2 inches of sag allows the suspension to work well on any bump. I ride it only at Whistler and wanted a bike that was closer to my cross country roots than a dedicated downhill bike. Mission accomplished, it eats up single track is stable at speed and jumps as well as I want. It is built too light for regular bike park use but obviously this is not its intended use. I have built it "heavy" but can still pedal it effectively. The bike has been bombproof, I am relatively light 155lbs, but it is not unusual for me to do 14-16 runs a day, I do not stop and chat, and the Uzzi has held up well. With a lighter build this would be a great go anywhere do anything bike. I highly recommend it.

First FR bike

[Jun 10, 2010]
forceyoda

OVERALL
Strength:

Decent weight for the amount of travel. Adjustability. Looks nice.

Rear end was crooked. Flexy in the rear. Poor finish quality for the price.

Not worth the money. Rides pretty good but they put the same kind of progressive spike as the 951 in the design so it is virtualy impossible to get full travel without running 50% sag and you feel the suspension spikes riding it. The seat post was unreamed and I could not insert a thomson seat post without honing it myself. Rear end was crooked at the linkages and the rear end was flexy. Also numerous reports of the earlier designs cracking. Overall quality is not what a $2500+ frame should have.

Save your money and get a nomad, reign etc. Or pay the same and get a diferent north american brand that is focussed on quality.

Intense is just selling their image lately most TW made frames have better finish quality and ride better.

Nomad, Scratch, and Heckler. Currently on Knolly

[Oct 23, 2009]
stepenliem

OVERALL
Strength:

Head tube and seat tube angle of 65/66 degree makes it possible to do more aggressive DH just like its pure DH bike.

None the frame itself

1. Configuration:
Frame: Intense Uzzi VP
RearShock: Fox DHX 4 Coil.
Fork: Totem soloair 180 1.5
Brake: Magura Gustav M
Brake: Magura Gustav-M disc brake, rear - 190mm
Brake: Magura Disc pad set, Gustav-M - 1.2 endur pr
Shifter: SRAM X.0 Trigger ESP 1:1 rear shifter, 9sp - right (sil)
Shifter: Truvativ HSchmidt/X.0-Trigger front shifter, 2x - left
Cable: Shimano Stainless
Housing: Shimano Housing
Crank: Truvativ HammerSchmidt FR
BottomBracket: Truvativ HammerSchmidt FR
Cassette: SRAM PG970 Red.
RearDerailleur: SRAM X.O
Grip: LizzardSkin, Transition Bikes end Cap - gold
Seatpost: Thompson Elite
Saddle: Selle Italia YUTAAK

2. What I am looking for:
I am a XC rider who already own TURNER Flux, does a couple of amateur races a year, and mainly rides between 20-40 miles a week.
Last summer I went to Northstar at Tahoe and tried downhill biking. I enjoyed it very much and love to do more. Since I live 4 hours a way from Tahoe, obviously it will be difficult to do this alot, but if I can do at least one or two trips a year, that will be good. So, I am looking for a bike that I can use to do downhill, but not a dedicated DH bike. A bike that is more burly than my Turner, but not a DH bike that I cannot use it for trail riding. So, being able to handle Northstar and still can climb hills, are my deciding factors. After a few months of research and reading the forum at MTBR, I decided to go with the new Intense UZZI VPP.

3. My expectations:
My expectations and my review are based on 3 test conditions: downhill test, on a paved road test, and up the hill on a fire trail test.

3.1. Downhill: I have used GIANT Glory-0 freeride/DH bike before in Northstar, so my expectation is that this new UZZI should handle Northstar very close to the way Glory-0 handles Northstar. (realizing, of course, that it is not a dedicated DH bike).

3.2. Road: I don't have a lot of high expectation here. I expect that the new UZZI will be heavy and I will have to go a lot slower than my Turner. The paved road that I have to go through before I hit the off road trail park, is about 5 miles long, so I will be testing it here.

3.3. Uphill fire trail: again, my expectation is low to somewhat hopeful based on some review in this forum. I will be testing it in fire trail with inclination ranges from 10-15%, elevation to 1200 FT, distance of 5 miles. I expect that I may have to walk my UZZI through these hills.

So, after thrashing, how does my new UZZI compare to my expectations?

4. Findings:
4.1. Downhill test: Exceeded my expectation by far! I have to say that it performed just as well as Glory-0. In fact I can't tell the difference while riding it. It feels just like the real dedicated DH machine. First, I tried the easy rock garden/single track trails (Woods), then a more advance ones (Flameout, Karpiel), then the most difficult (Dog Bone--btw, I had to walk in the last part of this trail, its just way too difficult for me). After that, I tried the fast trail (Livewire). UZZI, performed remarkably amazing, it ate up all the rocks and bumps, I feel like I am riding a big cadillac, very smooth even though the rocks and the jumps are brutal. There is a part of the trail (Competition, after Woods) where you have to pedal quite a bit, this is where I thank my Hammerschmidt. It is flawless. Hammerschimdt adds significant weight to the bike, but going through the single tracks in Northstar, I can very quickly switch back and forth between drive and over-drive. Sweet! I tried these trails before using my Turner Flux also, and the big difference there is in the head tube and seat tube angle. Flus has approx 70 degree angle, while this one is about 65/66 degree. Big difference!!

4.2. Road-test: Meet my expectation. It is slower, and heavier. My average speed on this particular road using my Turner Flux is around 15-18 mph. But using the UZZI I can only go about 10 mph. Note, however, that I am using DH tire 2.35 inch (Maxxis Minion DHR/DHF), front and back. I suspect that if I change the tires to a more XC friendly, the ride will be much smoother. So, this may not even be a reflection of how the UZZI frame performs, but rather on the Maxxis Minon DH tires perform on a paved road. The difference between Flux and UZZI on a paved road is similar to the difference betwee riding a road-bike versus riding Flux.

4.3. Uphill fire trail test: Just slightly below expectation. For this first test I pick the least steep hill. On my Flux, this is very easy hill. But on my Uzzi, it has turned into a nightmare. The biggest problem I have is with the Hammerschmidt. In short, it kills me! Not only that the Hammerschmidt makes the whole bike twice as heavy, but more over, I could not find the right combination of front-back gears. I run on a granny gear in the front and back all the way up hill, and the bike still crawl. I had to walk the bike in some steep area. Walking this bike is another struggle that you have to do due to the weight. Again, this may not be a reflection of the UZZI frame, but rather the setup that I have with this bike (DH tires, Hammerschmidt). One thing I learn from this test is that Hammerschmidt is a good concept and work great in a single track/DH scenario, but don't put that on if you think you will do a long distance uphill.

5. Conclusion:
Overall UZZI does meet my expectation. I am very satisfy with it. I dont intent to use it for XC racing, or even long distance trip (more than 10 miles). My plan is to use my Flux to do the 20+miles XC trip once a week, and then the second day use UZZI to tackle some trails that has the worst DH track, perhaps around 5 miles or so. And then, of course, whenever I have a chance I will take it to Northstar.
Comment on Hammerschmidt: I have a second thought now, I should have put Shimano Saint. Unless you are doing DH most of the time with the bike, Hammeschmidt is NOT recommended.

Giant Glory-0

[Oct 04, 2009]
snakesterhk

OVERALL
Strength:

Pedals great, likes the berms and bottomless feel on the drops.

Flexy rear and isn't as bob free as some vpp designs.

Great bike. Yeah it flex's but do you grab the wheel and pull on it while you are on the trail? You don't notice it and the rear end is very plush especially in the long travel position. It does pedal great but in the long travel position it will bob and does put the seat back on top of the back wheel. If you keep your body quiet it still pedals great. It pedals better through the rough terrain better than any bike I've been on. In the short travel position it puts the seat post further forward and stops the bobing. In the climbs the front end wanders a little but if you can get your weight forward it will steer better. In the bike park this thing is fast. It really likes the berms and is very fun in the air. It descends the steeps very well and if you extend the wheelbase it is even more stable with almost no brake jack. It's not a downhill bike and not a cross country racer but a great all round bike. I use it to climb an hour for the trails and then come down and know I can drop anything my junk will let me. This was a replacement for my heckler and It really fits well. I like the small bike feel when I'm climbing and doing single track but still has the big bike feel on the descents.

Heckler, SX trail, Scott, Nomad, Reign x

• Available At

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.