Intense Uzzi Freeride Full Suspension

Available At

Intense UZZI XT Complete Bike: The Uzzi VP features the next generation VPP suspension design, balanced geometry, adjustable suspension travel from 7.0" - 7.5". 1.5" headtube, and grease fittings for easy bearing maintenance. ISCG 05, and Hammerscmidt compatible...

[Jun 26, 2013]
Sonse

OVERALL
Strength:

Adjustability, strength, VPP suspension, amazing look, weight, climbing ability

Tough to run a chain guide, rocks collect in the lower pivot and have to be removed during rides, Intense is a little slow on getting things like the manual out.

I am on my second full season with the 2012 Uzzi. I have a Marzocchi 66 Ti, CCDB, Saint w/dual chainrings, Code breaks, DT Swiss FR 2350 wheels, MRP dual ring guide, 135 spacing, 2.4 High Roller EXO front, 2.5 DHF EXO rear, and Chromag bits.

The bike is amazing. I bought this as my do-it-all bike. On x-country rides it climbs very well without any bob. The CCDB once tuned correctly can remove any pedalling efficiency issues. It is heavy though (at least how I have it setup 36 lbs) so I am faster on my old Intense 5.5, but well worth it once you're at the top. Once pointed down this bike really shines. The rear triangle was redesigned and stiffened up so I have never had any "wet noodle" issues as others have mentioned. The travel feels endless while still providing feedback from the trail. I run the longer wheel base setting and full 7" of travel exclusively.

On the local jumps this bike is a blast. It inspires confidence and has saved my butt a few times by soaking up errors.

Some problems I have had relate to the chain guide. Because VPP has a lower pivot right where your chain guide goes very few models work. MRP is the recommended guide and I have the dual ring model. It kind of works but not that well. Rocks also collect in that same lower pivot. They get wedged against the frame and will just grind the crap out of it or break if you don't remove them. It can actually prevent the pivot from moving once enough get in there. Kind of a pain so I am going to try and cover it with something (ghetto rig).

Overall I would definately recommend this bike if you have the change. It is expensive but you're supporting a hand made frame from right in Cali. Not to mention a proven suspension design only available with Intense and Santa Cruz.

[Dec 24, 2012]
nd

OVERALL
Strength:

Great pedaling bike considering it's made primarily for going down. Adjustability in the rear and for the travel.

It's difficult to run a chain guide.

Love this frame. When I bought it, it came for a DHX-air which, with the G3 dropouts in the middle setting, it was the perfect all-mountain sled. By switching the compression 'lock-out', it climbed almost as well as some XC bikes. I then swapped the shock to a CCDB, changed the G3 to the slacker setting and it was perfect for lift assisted rides. Basically, it's a solid frame, numerous adjustability and light enough to do almost anything. My only gripe is that it was impossible to run a chain guide. To the reviewer below.....what does Intense have to do with [email protected] wheels and a bent axle? Rate the frame based on it's performance overall, independent of your choice of damaged parts.

[Dec 15, 2012]
Mike

OVERALL
Strength:

The frame is blue and overall performs ok. Basically I like the Intense geometry

Wheel set that came with the bike is C#@P!! Shimano Deore WH-776 what a load!!!!!

This all mountain bike is pretty much right on but I have a huge complaint regarding the stock Deore WH-776 wheel set. I thought the set would be good. I got the standard bull S#$T sales pitch from Belmont wheel works were I WAS a customer.
After a single season of riding this bike about five times I noticed something going on with the rear wheel. There appeared to be a wobble between the wheel hub and cassette. So as a pretty efficient mechanic I took a closer look. After removing the cassette, I threw it on a truing stand. Dam something was wrong. After a tear down I found it. The rear axle is bent!!!. WTF. After 10 rides in two years and I am not talking serious down hill either. So I checked with Shimano. They stated the wheel set is for XC and not all mountain riding. So Intense and Belmont wheel works again WTF you both lost a customer for life.

Intensse 951, UZZI SL, 6.6

[Nov 04, 2012]
Magnum Opus

OVERALL
Strength:

instant confidence. great fit, awesome looks. rugged, do anything, go anywhere

?

I rented an intense uzzi on a trip to teton village, near Jackson hole wyoming. the bike was set up with heavy duty bits for dh use, and I felt very much at home on it immediately. You can see it in action on you tube. the video is called "the Jackson hole experience 6-17-12" I would definetely recommend to a freind. and am planning on an intense for my next frame.

[May 16, 2012]
travis Carter

OVERALL
Strength:

2012 everything bike is perfect

cutomer service sucks

this bike does everything well if you are unhappy with this bike then you are way to old

santacruz blur

[Mar 02, 2012]
treebasher

OVERALL
Strength:

weight, adjustable CS length/HA

flimsy rear, paint and decal quality, HA steeper than listed

Intense's 'Swiss Army Knife' bike, listed under their Downhill bike section (also listed under Enduro/Trail category). This bike was so flimsy in the back end on DH/FR trails that I was repeatedly checking for loose spokes to explain the wet-noodle feel. The calculated HA was 1/2 degree steeper than listed (so 66.5 in 'slack' G3 position) - definitely noticeable. The matte black paint was terrible and showed every contact with anything more solid than water; the decals started to peel off in muddy conditions by the end of the second day. I bought this bike with high hopes that I could indeed use it for everything (as advertized), but with the back end being so flimsy, I ended up selling it within 6 weeks for a Knolly Delirium.

I could see this bike being acceptable for all-mountain use, or for a really light rider...but there are better options for an AM bike.

Truly NOT worth any money if you're over 150lbs and use it for FR/DH. For 2012 Intense has slackened the HA and stiffened up the rear end - spend the extra cash for a 2012 and avoid getting a left-over 2011 Uzzi - despite the sale prices for a 2011, it's still no bargain.

Demo, Devinci Wilson, Knolly Delirium

[Dec 26, 2011]
Aldo

OVERALL
Strength:

Looks very nice with Blue Works paint! DH stability. Weight.

Very high price (USD2,200 for frame and rear shock!). Low quality. Bad customer service. Climbing shorcomings, especially on technical climbs.

The bike does look great. It look hungry and that Blue Works paint job which is semi-transparent and shows the alumimum underneath is the bomb!

The bike does a great job of eating up stones, steps, lunar type obstacles (and snakes) on DH. I compete in races and easily place in my age group, yet leave better riders than me in the dust on downhill sections. It is also reasonably stable (although not fast) on difficult cross country runs.

But for technical climbs, it is a mule. When I gave up my Commencal 666 (with same or similar components as the Uzzi), I felt I was learning to ride all over again. Clearance is also a major issue and I am always getting my pedals caught on low obstructions.

My riding style and speed is extremely hard on bikes and I had cracked some frames because of metal stress. (Not fall related, thank you!) I had a good history with Commencal which had replaced two frames under warranty. I bought the Uzzi based on some recommendations that it was built tough and comparable in ability. Such was not the case...

I broke the rear triangle after maybe 6 months of riding. When the triangle was finally replaced (took months), they did not provide bearings, some of which had been damaged due to the lateral stress created when the rear triangle broke. I ended up paying labor for two separate installations of the rear triangle plus for a new set of bearings. I had been in contact with Intense's customer service department to get a new set of bearings but the e-mail correspondence from their side usually took weeks (I still have the records) and was simply intended to wear me out. I eventually gave up.

The bike has some positive points but at that price, one would expect a minimum of customer service. Never again. There are other good frame manufacturers out there who earn their business.

Commencal 666!!

• Available At

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.