Giant VT 1 Freeride Full Suspension

[Nov 03, 2015]
tony92231
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Great geometry, suspension design, very easy to ride.

Not made anymore, would have been nice to see this with a tapered headset and 27.5 wheel size

This is my second mountain bike, first full suspension. I didn't want to spend 3000.00 to 4000.00 for a new mountain bike. I found a VT1 on E-Bay for 600.00. I did some research, and read all of the reviews on this bike, so I got it. It Came with Marzocchi Bomber All Mountain 150mm travel, Manitou Swinger 4-way shock, WTB Speed Disc wheels with Specialized Captain tires, and full XT/XTR component set. My first time out on the trails was great. Bike rides smooth, jumps easy, and handle great. Very happy with this purchase. Great all around mountain bike, but excels in free riding.

Giant Talon 27.5

[Sep 06, 2013]
splatgraphics
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Lasts a life time .. or at least it has felt like it.
Cant be built up light *27#'* but strong enough for most blues in Whistler BC.

They no longer make this. The tech for the shock was sold and is now under the name *Knuckle Box* but still not as good as this.

This bike was bought 2004, it's now the fall of 2013, I have replaced EVERYTHING on this and have built it up as best as sanity will allow me to afford.
2012 Crossmax ST wheel set
XT drive train and breaks
Thompson Seat, stem and handlebar
Fox 2011 Talas fork and 2012 Float RP23 shock
2.5" Nevegal tyres

SOLID ride and has flown with me on every trip. i put about 1000 KM of dirt under this bike a year.
Sadly it is getting to be 10 years and will be used for "less active" rides when I look at something newer next spring... maybe..

Santa Cruz XC Blur Carbon
Santa Cruz Nomad
Lynsky 650 - 140

[May 15, 2013]
ozzie
Downhiller

OVERALL
Strength:

LEGENDARY cheap, awesome, tough, awesome...

eh... no...

:D

[Apr 29, 2011]
dimitrin

OVERALL
Strength:

Geometry, travel, weight, durability, does it all, the bike makes me a good rider

No longer made

Haha...I love this bike!!
All the recent trail/all mountain bikes use this bikes geometry! With the wheels, tires, seat post and suspension upgrades this old bike smokes the competition, a true do it all bike that keeps me grinning from ear to ear. If you find a clean one, buy it!

pivot mach 5.7

[Apr 29, 2011]
dimitrin

No longer made

Haha...I love this bike!!

pivot mach 5.7

[Sep 06, 2010]
maddog7

OVERALL
Strength:

Incredibly durable, Great geometry, Unusual looks, Great for humpin' brand snobs tho I have nothing against brands snobs, In fact I am one! Much better than I am at everything!

Wank paint as mentioned in other reviews, the logo on the head tube corrodes, bearings susceptible to corrosion. No lock out on the shock.

I was wondering what/if to replace this with and thought about a Blur LT but doubt it would be any better since the VT is already much better than I am. I really love it to bits and feel it owes me nothing especially since I got it brand new for 240 quid with the shock! Massive talent is the only thing that makes a (very few) of my friends any better than me on the mountain despite some of them having much more expensive bikes.
In fact F"(K it Nick, I think I'll keep it!
Awesome

Stumpy FSR.

[Feb 22, 2010]
dangmtb

OVERALL
Strength:

versatile, fast, lots of travel

squeaky rear suspension pivot point, a little on the heavy side

Climbs ok, bombs hills and single track sooooo well. This bike is so much fun and gets through sticky situations with ease. The 6.5 inches of travel leaves you with lots to work with and take off drops and boulders and such. I love this thing

GT i-drive 5.0 (not really similar but this is only my second F/S)

[Aug 02, 2008]
rob

OVERALL
Strength:

Good looking and durable,Fairly low maintenance for full suspension

Prone to corrosion from humidity and sweat in the suspension pivot area below the saddle

An awesome set-up for anything you may want to use it for,unless of course you are a weight weenie,just change the tires for use on the road,I use kenda kwest high pressure semi slicks,and have put about 12,000 miles on this bike using it to commute 33 miles to and from work for a good 3 years,and the occasional insane air antics when I go a bit crazy.I never have to slow down for anything...
Aside from the shock problems,and the fairly minor corrosion problems which cannot be avoided,it has served me flawlessly for about three years of constant use in all weather and terrain conditions.

None,my first F/S bicycle

[Jun 24, 2003]
sing

OVERALL
Strength:

efficient, well built

not yet observed

I bought the vt for a week and I ride the bike for a few miles only, but i fall in love with this bike already, it is very efficient, easy to pedal, and doesn't bob while you remain seated! the XTR is very smooth but produces some noise which is annoying, may be setup problems. The only weakness of the bike is probably me......

nil, a 30 years old beginner

[Aug 26, 2003]
Cory Feggestad

OVERALL
Strength:

Awsome components and geometry. This bike does it all. Makes climbing seem effortless. The SPV shock is a true must for any rider!!!

Tires and the weight, not so much the weight though. I can live with 30# if the bike is a dream to ride.

Although on the expensive side, it is a hell of a deal for what you get. I'm not knocking Specialized, the FSR is a great bike too. But the VT1 had me sold almost instantly. The wheelset and components make up the price, and the rest is basically free!!!! The trails In Wisconsin can put the bike through its paces and she did just fine! This bike is a great buy for all types of riders. Its comfortable for just an easy ride or for flying down rocky singletrack.

Specialized FSR

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.