Giant AC 2 Freeride Full Suspension

[Sep 08, 2020]

OVERALL
Strength:

It’s a great bike, been riding it in it stock form for 3 years now! I added a dropper post and it made the bike even better! Great climbing up the hill even better riding it down!!!

None that I can see!

[Jan 11, 2013]
E-ROG
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Everything: this bike was WAY ahead of its time.
Frame Geometry
Rear Travel
Chain Guide Brackets
Cable Routing
Strength to Weight ratio

Stock Fork was 130mm.
This bike is MUCH better with a 140 & perfectly balanced with a 150mm

Best aggressive XC/AM frame for several years.
This frame was WAY ahead of its time. The current Yeti 575, Trek Remedy, Intense Tracer 2, and Specialized Stumpjumper all take cues from this frame and mirror what the AC had 7 years earlier.
Mine was completely stock with the cool rear shock and Manitou 130mm fork.
It performed amazingly and the value was insanely good.
Over 2 years of playing with different set-ups I tried a bunch of configurations.
I did a 1x9 Freeride setup with chain guide, short FR stem, piggy-back coil rear shock and a heavy 145mm fork, the bike was a blast.
I did a 2x9 XC setup with a Fox Float RP2 rear shock, bike was great.
But the best setup is the one I currently have:
Full Shimano XT shifters, XT derailleurs, XT crankset 2x9 w bash ring, XT hydraulic brakes
Fox Float 32 150mm fork w Thru Axel
Fox Float RP23 rear shock
Shimano 31.8 Carbon Pro riser bars
Thomson Elite 90mm Stem
Thompson Elite Seatpost & Seatpost Clamp
Mavic Crossmark wheels
Maxxis 2.35 Highroller rear
Maxxis 2.4 Ardent front

My current setup is amazing and I would advise anyone with an AC or looking to get one to try this configuration.
I also loved running the same setup with a Manitou 145mm thru axel fork paired with a Manitou Swinger 4 Way air shock.
I swapped the Manitou parts to another bike and shaved anothe lb off the weight of my AC when I went to the Fox setup.
Only bike that keeps up with my AC is my tricked out Trek Remedy.
LOVE the AC!

Trek Remedy, Yeti 575, Intense Tracer, Specialized Stumpjumper

[Nov 30, 2009]
Anonymous

OVERALL
Strength:

Seriously strong, plush, neutrally balanced, and great in corners.

For an XC bike its probably a little on the heavy size.

Ive just finished building this bike - using it for a bit of XC, but its fast becoming a downhill bike. I love riding it on quick flowing downhill sections of trail with medium jumps. It lands plush and strong on the jumps, and you can dig it hard into corners, and it just never gets out of shape. With the long front forks on the front, its great on drops as it has a good steep head angle.

98 Specialized FSR, Marzocchi bomber Jr T's Rockshox rear.

[Aug 27, 2009]
aragon1253

OVERALL
Strength:

Indestructible, lots of travel, nice on downhill slopes and the brakes have good stopping power.

Psylo shocks pisses oil, rock shox rear is too bobby. Also its a bit heavy.

I've ridden this bike for years (model year 2000)and nearly killed myself a bunch of times but you just can't break the frame.
Each time something breaks I just upgrade it so now it's totally tricked except the Hayes breaks (still stock) and the rims. The bob is gone in the back with the Fox DHX5.0 coil and it rides like a totally different animal (now it climbs well and does not bob because of the pro pedal).

The stock bike with Psylo's needs a different shock and the Rock Shox Deluxe just bobs too much.
I love this bike but this is not a XC ride. It kills at crushing logs and taking abuse.
If you need to get new bearings or bushing kits to replace your Rock Shox Deluse then http://www.mountainbikecomponents.co.uk/

GT, Kona Stinky, Stumpjumper, Slayer, Element 50.
I loved the Stumpjumper with the brain and the Element 50 was sweet. The GT with iDrive stock kicks the Giant. The Stink was no match for the AC2

[Jan 02, 2009]
ekai

OVERALL
Strength:

Versatile, all arounder-do it all

Seat tube, bottom bracket constantly creaks

Ya, a little old school, climbs & pedals well in the 5 1/2" rear travel mode--too much bob & squishy ride in the 6 1/2" rear travel mode-but very plush. Climbs lousy in 6 1/2" mode. Neutral handling--no glaring faults. Seat tube seems to be the greatest weakness. Cranks almost always creak, but goes away with serving--maybe a Shimano set up would be better.I jump very little in quality & quantity, so being old school myself--I need to keep the rubber side down! I'm not sure I would trust it on medium to big air...its just a good competent all around bike-nothing out standing, but no glaring faults either. Works well at North Star, Tahoe, Skeggs, Boggs, Soquel, UCSC,etc--it does what I want to and that's all that matters---now if I can only get a new 2009 Intense VPP Tracer! It looks very appealing.

Heckler, FSR Enduro Extreme, others

[Dec 14, 2008]
debusama

OVERALL
Strength:

Good bike for the price, it did very well on descents.

A lot of bob, even when adjusted for less travel.

I used to do a lot of to hikes the tops of mountains, and then shooting down. I also do some cross-country riding. This was my first FS bike. It worked well for the mild DH riding I did, but I was surprised by how much power was absorbed by the rear shock. Lately, I’ve lost interest in downhill riding in favor of long XC rides, and I found the bike so cumbersome on the trails I like, that it was mostly just collecting dust while I took my old hardtail out on the trails. I’m now riding a XC designed FS bike that works much better for me. Overall, I think it was great when I used it for what it is designed (light freeride/downhill). It was not, however, the do-everything bike that I was hoping for. Overall, I’d say this is a perfect bike for a not so hardcore downhill rider, but if you do a little of everything, I’d go with something else.

Jamis Dakar XC, Giant Acapulco, Giant trance X3

[Nov 03, 2008]
Anonymous

OVERALL
Strength:

Very nice bike all around tall and short wheel base

stock forks suck, need bigger disc in the back and make creaking noises alot(crank dont stay tight)

put some boxxer world cup 200mm and a fox shock in the rear nice brakes and its a beautiful bike

Tomac Six Shooter, Gary fisher King Fisher 2

[Aug 27, 2007]
Fuzzy

OVERALL
Strength:

2005 AC
Hayes Hydro stop quick
WTB Laser V seat is good
Carbon seatpost & bars are nice addition
Not too heavy (my medium is about 35lbs with heavier pedals, grips and a different rear spring.

Stock shock is sprung for a light rider with a 500lb spring - but you can get a new spring 800lb for less than $30 from Giant and this helps so much for heavier riders. With the 800lb spring the bike no longer acts like a pogo stick. I used to hate to take it on the street for more than 5 minutes because of pedal Bob. 800lb spring changes the shock and supports my 200lb frame.

Front Fork - lockout would have been nice, but they had to keep the price down at this point.

Great value in an all-mountain full suspension bike. For 2005 they put on mid level components and cut the price in half! I wish they still had this in their lineup (or something similar at around 1k)

[Jul 13, 2007]
Chris
Downhiller

OVERALL
Strength:

reasonable travel, geo, ect

clicking noises, flex, frame strength concerns, annoying integrated headset.

its a decent beginner frame, the two shock positions make climbing a little better, but issues with frame strength make me a little apprehensive.

overall, a great bike to learn on, and a good all rounder, but not something to hammer on dh trails all day, every day

none, this is my first decent fully

[Mar 24, 2006]
erik

OVERALL
Strength:

Very versatile, plush with coil suspension set-up, this thing rips

Heavy

Found this bike collecting dust in a shop--paid $900 after rebate, stock products--Psylo XC was horribly mismatched to Mantiou 4-way Swinger w/SPV--tossed those & POS Hayes hydro's for Juicy 5's. Even Avid mechanical's work better than Hayes hydros, anyway, the bike is down to about 32LBS. The Fox updates really helped reduce weight, increase performance and climbing. This bike rips!!! it now exceeds my abilities--being over 50 with diminishing eyesight doesn't help, but...nice all around bike, works great at North Staar & Downeville too. 5 Chili's for original purchase, upgrades reduce it to 4 Chili'es, 4 Chili's for overall, because no bike is perfect!

FSR Enduro's, FSR XC's Mongoose NX (9)?, Heckler, Yeti ASR

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.