Giant AC 1 Freeride Full Suspension

[May 29, 2018]
Canadian rocket

OVERALL
Strength:

SO damn dissapointment if first races 2 frames in 2010 head tiangle crakc and another in next XC race :D head tiangle and back in 5cm wring direction . On oF ABSOLUTEKY WEAKEST BIKE IHVE RIDED 2005-2018

warkaness FRAME and FOX ADJUSTABLE SHOOCK!

Price Paid:
Purchased:
New
Model Year:
2009
[May 08, 2018]
Whitten21

OVERALL
Strength:

This thing is incredible on descents. Takes all you can throw at it! If you got the guts the bike won’t be the issue. It is heavy on the climbs but kind of expected with this frame. Handles everything I’ve thrown at it with zero issues.

Heavy built to go downhill fast not up!!!

Price Paid:
Purchased:
Used
Model Year:
2002
[Jul 16, 2016]
Rikard

OVERALL
Strength:

A good all-round bike.

I really dislike that the seatpost is tilted so much backwards. Pretty bouncy going upphills. Servicing the brakes is tricky and needs some experience.

I bought my AC 1 new in 2002 and have ridden it since then. I have used it for all my biking needs. Cross country, parks and light downhill riding. I think this is a well designed frame that is great for the average rider. Crisp steering makes it handle very well on the trail and the suspension is sufficient for everything except real downhill. I take good care of my bike. Every winter I clean and lube all bearings. I tighten spokes and keep everything in good working order. This bike is not for the diehard cross country or hardcore downhill rider but for an average rider like me it is pretty much perfect. I am quite heavy (96kg) and use my bike a lot so I put a lot of strain on the bike. I have ridden my bike for fourteen years now and don't see any need to switch to a newer bike.
Money well spent.

[Jan 01, 2016]
M
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

- way ahead of its epoch, true all-mountain frame
- weight (about 3kg)
- well-thought out cabling (external)
- travel adjustement: 135mm and 165mm (1 screw, 30 seconds)
- front derailleur compatible
- cheap bearing replacement
- can use automatic seat post compatible only with internal cabling (the seat-post has a hole at the bottom)
- standard 190/50 suspension
- big tire compatibility (2,7'' on 24mm inner width rims)

- steep head angle (~69 degrees with 130 mm fork, ~68 degrees with 150mm fork)
- chain tensorer mount incompatible with ISCGs (can use BB mount, though)
- small diameter seat tube (27.2) makes it harder to find automatic seat post
- 10mm rear dropouts
- ball bearings
- 26'' wheels
- 1+1/8 head
- no internal cabling

I use this frame for (mostly) enduro riding. Suited with modern equipment (short stem, wide low-profile handlebar, 2x10, tubeless foldable tires on wide rims) it stood up to its expectations. Head angle is a little bit too steep for a modern enduro frame, but you can work this around with angle-changing headset, getting plausible ~66,5 degrees with 160mm fork. Feated with bolt-on rear hub, I am pleased with rear stiffness. The suspension design is descent, with no excessive effect on suspension during breaking (at least using DHX 4.0 Air); however, the suspension bounces a little during uphill on 22T front cog -- the change to 26T made it much better (at least combined with Pro-pedal on DHX). Bike goes up well, as it has steeper head angle compared to more modern enduro frames, its weight is very good, and it has the front derailleur option.

On the other hand, I used the frame for some downhill action with uplifts with 160mm fork (and head-angle changing headsets). I was surprised how well the suspension handles big drops, and I feel no need to upgrade the frame. However, note that I mostly ride enduro, and for more experienced downhillers this frame might be not enough. It's great for learning, though! Note that I weight only 60kg, so you might find this frame too light for full-on downhill if you are heavier.

I also used the frame in much softer conditions, doing some XC/trail riding. I went back to normal headsets with 130 fork, which resulted in 69 degree head angle. I also changed the rear suspension travel to 135mm (still with DHX 4.0 Air), and added some necessary modifications like longer stem, narrower tires. For most XC riders 130/135 is too much of the travel, but it's plenty of fun for occasional rider. I would prefer a little bit steeper seat tube angle, which would make sitting-to-standing move easier (how bad it is really depends on your height -- if you have the frame size well-chosen, it doesn't matter that much). XC riders will love: the weight, the steep head angle, front derailleur compatibility, and ability to attach a water container.

This frame is truly universal. I need no other frame at the moment. With head-changing headset, it is a great frame even compared to modern enduro frames. However, there are some compatibility issues: you are stuck with 26'' wheels, and your rear hub has to be 10mm-mountable. Also, the seat post diameter is very small, which makes it hard to find an automatic seat post; and if you find it, you will find the slack seat-tube angle suboptimal (but rideable).

For a frame that is so old, it is very important to maintain it. Fortunately, the bearing replacement is neither hard nor expensive (Giant used standard bearing sizes). The bearing that needs replacement most often is the bearing near the rear brake. I would recommend using 180mm disc instead of 203mm at the rear to keep the bearing alive longer.

You totally can consider the Giant AC as one of the options when building the modern enduro/trail bike. I bought one in good condition, replaced the bearings and I have an outstanding frame for a very good money. Value 5/5.

[Nov 19, 2012]
Bridger

OVERALL
Strength:

Smooth ride over anything.

Crappy uphill.

I've got a 2003. I haven't tested it too much on the mountain, but road and gravel trails have been fun. Due to the wide wheels, it is harder to get going than an all around bike. I bought it with most components upgraded, and its a great ride. I cant figure out how to stiffen the rear suspension, which is a little annoying cause its super bouncy. But I'm still a happy camper, especially for only 400 dollars!

[Sep 26, 2009]
OMNICELLL

OVERALL
Strength:

Solid.. .. and lasted a long time... worked as intended...

Great design for a solid no-nonsense frame for AM rider...

The Seat tube design on the 2002 model that I had was not a good idea.. it finally broke recently while I was meandering with the bike on the sidewalk in-front of the local library.. I believe that design has changed though..

Will see how Giant Handles the warranty on broken frame...

ALl and all.. One of the best price/performance bikes there is , in my opinion... I believe the SETTE FLITE is very similar to the AC... it is sold at Price Point.. for $400 bucks.. and with a strait seat tube.. again.. A great value all around...

( I did replace the Rock shox /rearshox with a ROmic...

Great Bike...

raleigh bikes , Loved that bike.... That was a long long time ago....

[Jul 27, 2009]
#1downhill

OVERALL
Strength:

Everything!!!!

Climbing, it bobs a ton

Today I did a 9 foot drop to flat and it felt like I went off of a curb this thing is soooooo smooth!!! I love this thing I have it set up 7 in front and 6.3 rear and is so awesome! If you ride bikes, buy this it is bad to climb, but it is so awesome to go downhill

None can compare

[Jun 27, 2009]
darkrider

OVERALL
Strength:

good frame design,good looks

none for the price

from first purchase as parts worn out I always upgraded,,both bikes are far superior to when i first got them, so i guess what i mean to say is"what a gresat frame from giant

used to be a GT fan

[Sep 18, 2005]
Dean

OVERALL
Strength:

05 AC: good groupset, ,mmmmm sram, and cranks oh, and the price.

05 AC: everything else

This is a review for the 05 AC: Stock, this bike sucks. But after you spend some $$ on it it comes to life and now this bike rocks. Firstly the stock rear shock went, i replaced it with a Fox Vanilla RC and then the front forks, replaced with 05 RS Boxxer Rides, then i upgraded brakes from hayes sole to HFX 9's. and rims to the Alex DM 24's that were on my DH HT. Changed the bar and stem combo for Hussfelt stem and Azone WF bars and now shes mint, now its a real nice freeriding bike. The Chilli's are the rating of the bike now, after the upgrades. I think getting the stock bike so cheap made it possible for the upgrades, she rides like a Stinky at 2/3's the price.

Specialized SX trail

[Jul 17, 2007]
Jason Kettles

OVERALL
Strength:

I havent managed to brake a thing on it yet & i've given it a hard time.

Feels flexy in the bottom bracket but thats probably due to the susspention linkage & bearings,

Sweet bike not the best to go up on but certainly is a dream while screaming down on, It's a bike that'll build confidence each ride & pull you out of trouble with a "How the hell did I pull that off" look. for something with 7"f & 6.6"r susspention it is an awsome bike to flog the trails on, it's 1 very versatile frame

Specialized Big Hit - Norco VPS

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.