Schwinn Homegrown Factory Team Frameset

Schwinn Homegrown Factory Team

[Jun 11, 2012]
graham

OVERALL
Strength:

strong on drops and light and cool and rock shox

hard to find

great bike i love mine

[Jul 04, 2003]
Andrew

OVERALL
Strength:

Extremely light, classic design, the welds are perfect

top-tube cable placement, chain-stay disc brake mount (on this model)

got this bike for my girlfriend, ao it's a size 15" (could be even smaller) probably more than she needs but i am a freak and i can't have her riding around on garbage.

this bike makes me wish i was smaller so i could use it for urban assault. the brakes are powerful, the frame is super light and stiff and the amp fork is perfect for the size of the bike and her weight. the shimano XT/XTR stuff is always perfect, and the orange frame just looks awesome. the bike climbs extremely well and has made my girl into a very competent rider. if you are lucky enough to find one (hint hint...EBAY) i definitely suggest picking one up.

too many to list

[Dec 03, 2001]
Jose Infanzon

OVERALL
Strength:

Light as a feather, knife-like responses, climbs like a dream, awesome gold paint, beautiful finish.

You have to put all your sense on the trail while going downhill since shell turn at the merest thought, stickers seem a little cheap. Don't know what will happen to Schwinn warranty,I hope Pacific honors it.

Bought the bike after reading all reviews and watching a report about the Homegrown Factory on OLN. Couldn't pass up on the Supergo bargain. Built it from the ground up in about two months, carefully selecting the parts. After riding it for the first time, knew I had a riding machine! It draws looks from everyone I meet. Since my previous bike had a less aggresive stance, it took me a while to get used to such a fast response, not to mention the rapid rise rear derailleur. This is it, no more thinking about upgrading, don't see a need to. The frame is certainly a work of art and if it holds up to punisment as well as my previous bike, I'm in for a hell of a ride. Seems light but holds up well to my weight (175 pounds). I'ts a pity schwinn went bankrupt, hope Pacific keeps the legacy going. I have to give it Five Flamming Chihuahuas!!!

1999 Schwinn Mesa GSX

[Jan 29, 2002]
Chad Lazaruk

OVERALL
Strength:

Bombproof! Indestructible, light, responsive and gorgeous to look at.

1999 model had no disk mounts. High speed handling is twitchy.

I have the 1999 factory frame - from when Yeti made them and they were still painted. I am second owner and after 3 years of racing, the frame is still in perfect condition. Handles like it's an extention of your body and climbs like you've got wings. AWSOME! If you're a racer, then this is the frame for you. If you're not, then this frame will help you become one.

Nothing I've ever tried is even in the same category.

[Nov 02, 2002]
matt

OVERALL
Strength:

does everything a XC racing hardtail should, and then some

headset bearings are crap - but you can get higher quality replacements that last MUCH longer if you do a little shopping around at good bearing supply houses.

the bottom line... '00-01 Homegrown Factory - in my opinion, probably the best cross-country racing hardtail EVER made. Nothing I have ridden even comes close to balancing stiffness, handling, and comfort in a frame that weighs an honest 3 lbs the way schwinn has (did). This bike really is the best of all worlds: razor sharp handling, awesome climbing ability, feather light weight, and a certain ride quality that you just don't get from many (if any) other aluminum frames. The black ano finish gives it that sweet stealth look, and after two years of hard riding and racing it has zero scratches, except to the stickers.

unfortunately, all good things must come to an end, and mine did - cracked frame, and no replacement available, warranty or otherwise. I loved that bike - I feel like my dog died.

[Nov 30, 2001]
Chris Baker

OVERALL
Strength:

light weight, responsiveness

Schwinn-no longer in business

After seeing the gear guide on Outdoor Life Network where they rated the best hardtails and the Schwinn Homegrown Factory limited was 5 of 5 stars, I decided to build a new bike. This is my first "INTERNET" only bike. Every part was bought through the internet and the total cost for this bike with the components listed is $1385.00. A STEAL compared to the money I spent on my Yo Eddy with all XTR back in 1991 ($1897.00) Racer wholesale for the shop I raced for.

Fat Chance Team Yo eddy, race bike for 10 years

[Aug 11, 2001]
TMike

OVERALL
Strength:

+Light
+Responsive at low speeds
+Craftsmanship

-Twitchy at high speeds
-Headset

I bought this bike because I got sick of Gary Fisher and the whole Trek line of products and their horrible support. Anyway, it's reliable (no swingarm - duh), extremely light, beautiful and a "classic."

For the riding I do, mostly slow, rocky East Coast, this bike is nearly perfect. I don't huck drops because I lack the skill, so this bike's intended XC fitting is fine for me. The agressive geometry makes for an extremely tight turning bike, devoid of the wheel flop that plagued the M2 over very uneven terrain. Descending takes a lot more finesse than the Sugar 2, but I wouldn't say it's any slower. Beside, descending on this bike will make you feel more like an expert if you're not just plowing through rock gardens. At higher speeds it gets pretty sketchy over loose surfaces. While you could just sit back on the Sugar, this bike takes an immense amount of concentration over 20 mph.

The frame itself is 2.8lb (according to factory) and is a work of art. The anondized finish is much more beautiful than painted frames, and Schwinn did not resort to cheesy decals to try to jazz up the frame. It looks like a bike made for one purpose: to go fast. The yokes for the seat stays and the chain stays are very well constructed. The only problem with this package is poor seals for the headset bearings, which require diassembly every week. This is something a Lizard Skins cover would probably remedy.

The Schwinn (Huffy?) is now my favorite bike I've ever owned. It does everything that I want like a trusty steed, everything I've ever wanted in a bike. I'm smitten. If you can get it for $500 (SuperGo has really low prices and then raised them an hour after I ordered) this frame is an incredible find. This frame's construction easily merits the suggested retail price of $1000 however.

If you're interested in a do-everything bike (save "extreme" free-riding) and are fairly light take a look at this bike. It seems to have a classic geometry so it may be a bit too agressive for some though.

M2 Stumpjumper, Fisher Sugar 2

[Aug 11, 2001]
TMike

OVERALL
Strength:

+Light
+Responsive at low speeds
+Craftsmanship

-Twitchy at high speeds
-Headset

M2 Stumpjumper, Fisher Sugar 2

[Jun 27, 2001]
jeff

OVERALL
Strength:

incredibly strong (i had the misfortune to test this recently), super light, mine is a 98' with beutiful metal flake red and gold paint.

none found. the closest thing i can think of complaining about is schwinn SHOPS. by far the worst mechanics and service i've ever dealt with.

great frame! easily the best i've used, and i've used a lot. handles as good or better than anything else out there, and i only know of 1 frame thats lighter. if you can hook up with a new one for $450 or less i'd jump on it. since frames don't wear out, a used one for $300 or less is a great deal.

i've ridden just about every major manufacturers frame and some of the lesser known as well. the homegrown even handles better than my fisher, wich WAS the best handeling bike i've been on.

[Jun 28, 2001]
Jordan Weber

OVERALL
Strength:

I love the rigidnes of the frame, and the parts are the best for your money. Hell of a good deal for what you are getting!

The stickers are put on cheaply in my opinion

Buy it now! Look for it on sale, cuz nothing beats and even better price!

Specialied