Litespeed Unicoi Frameset

Litespeed Unicoi

[Jun 27, 2020]
edpugsleyjr

OVERALL
Strength:

Lightweight. Strong. Innovative and reliable internal rear-triangle suspension.

None noticed after years on the trail.

Purchased:
New
[Jul 03, 2014]
JFrog

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, simple, and good looking classic diamond shape frame.

Flexy bottom bracket and rear end.

I have owned 2 Unicoi frames over the past 12 years - an earlier model with the rear internal spring shock, and now the later model frame with the RockShox air rear shock. The RockShox rear offers better damping and rebound control than the earlier integrated shock (which acted too much like a non-damped pogo stick).

Not good for really hard hammering. Frame is best for guys < 195lbs, because of the soft rear-end.

I am using this frame as a commuter. It is very smooth and capable with a front rack and a Surly Troll fork. The frame is designed for 80mm suspension, and the Troll fork is a 100mm design (453mm axle to crown). So, the steering and head tube angle has changed a bit. This lengthens the lever, and puts a bit more stress on the head tube, so I wouldn't use this setup for long, rough tours.
The bike is great for gravel roads and smoother single track. I prefer the simplicity of a rigid front end with this frame, as the frame has a nice ride quality.

[Sep 23, 2010]
seoulriding

OVERALL
Strength:

put on some paccenti 2.1 quasi moto's and some american classic 650b's....sweet

nada

sweet

all

[Nov 21, 2009]
Navid

OVERALL
Strength:

light weight, set-up and forget bike for fast and flowing trails.

may be a tad too light.

You would think in this day and age of sub 21lb/ 5in travel duals there is no place for a titanium softail with V-brakes!!! So did I. But now I get most of my daily pleasure on board this decade old machine and love every minute of it. Just make sure you get some light v-break wheels before they become instinct and set the pads abit farther from the rim than usual, then they won't rub if you are a pedal cruncher.
Sizing is strange, small is perefct for me but usually I ride medium/large...

Airbourne lancaster/ OnOne titanium

[Dec 17, 2001]
Winglo

OVERALL
Strength:

Feel light and resposive,

The decal(stick on lable) seems a little cheap. How about silk screening?

Great frame at a great price, on sale!!!

Vortex

[Mar 24, 2002]
Justin

OVERALL
Strength:

Smooth Ti ride. Great build quality. Lifetime warranty. Adjustable rear shock. Good customer service.

Instructions on setting up the rear shock would have been good. Rockshox has the users guide on their website but it seems to be more gears towards longer travel.

Bike didn't come with any docs but a quick call to LS and they gave me some tips on setting up the rear shock (guy I talked to weighed about the same as me and had a Unicoi too!).

MUCH smoother then my AL hardtail. Ti + softtail really is a great weight/comfort compromise.

Overall, I think this is the best XC bike money can buy...at least for the rooty trails around Raleigh.

My trusty AL Voodoo (R.I.P.) hardtail.

[Oct 18, 2005]
Greg

OVERALL
Strength:

light, responsive, takes anything you throw at it

none with the frame, only issues w/components

i've had this bike for six years riding throught northern ca and now in japan. handles like a dream, just enough travel in the rear for a large guy like me. only replacements have been the usual chain/cables. swapped out xt brakes for xtr (yes, still v-brakes), next on agenda is new crank (current xt) and drivetrain. recommendations on the these would be most appreciated, do prefer grip shift tho. great bike for any xc/fr rider even solid on the downhill, just not jumping boulders in colorado.

bridgestone mb-1, voodoo wanga, santa cruz heckler

[Oct 29, 2001]
duh huh

OVERALL
Strength:

Great choice for X country riding, works well on road too. Frame finish and welds are absolutely stunning, makes all those other Ti frames look like crap. Stiff enough with a little give for roots and rocks. Raw Ti frame is easy to clean, permits repair of minor scratches and blemishes.

Awfully expensive. Bide your time and get a deal. 2001 model has complicated air shock, no instructions supplied by litespeed, maybe spring/elastomer is the better idea (no pump or mechanical engineering degree required)

I love it. Maybe a LS Ti road bike in my future (soon as I pull that bank job).

Cannondale CAD3 rigid frame with Al fork!!! - must be why I like my Unicoi so much.

[Mar 13, 2003]
Dragula

OVERALL
Strength:

Strong & Beautiful,Lite weight. Impecable materials/welding
Clean traditional look no psuedotechnocrap
Superior warranty.Comparatively affordable without a compromise
You truely DO GET what you pay for!

This bike has idiosyncrasies but they only add to the mystery that is "UNICOI".

Some people want sharks with frickin laser beams on the tops of their heads, I wanted the ULTIMATE XC machine ever. That is what this bike delivers every ride. It doesn't make me a better rider but it does make my rides better. "Unlimited" is the adjective one should use to descride the experience.

Unicoi is an acronim for Unlimited Necro-Intelectual-Corporeal Off-road Intimacy. If you think you own or have ridden a better bike you are DREAMING. Pinch yourself and buy one.

"Denn die Todten reiten schnell"
B. Stoker

Similar Products Tried: Been riding MTB's since before the debate began about what to call them. 23 years on mtb,

[Sep 27, 1998]
Tim
weekend warrior

OVERALL

Excellent bike. XTR all the way with an Atom Bomb. Closing in on 1000 miles.
All 5 star reviews are correct.
The only problem I continue to have is the spring begins to squeak like a cheap motel bed every 400 miles.
Well, I guess maybe one more problem: I can't blame the bike for shit.
Not making it up that lung buster is MY fault. Not the bike's!

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.