Litespeed Obed Frame Frameset

Litespeed Obed frame

[Jun 22, 2010]
mountainbikeryk

OVERALL
Strength:

Nice welds, nice finish

Geometery doesn't match specifications

Very nice bike, but I am still trying to get the geometry right. It is sold as 100mm-120mm travel. Originally I put some Marzocchi forks with 120mm travel, but it slackened the geometry so much the bike never felt stable, and you couldn't take corners. I put some rigid Nuke proof forks suspension corrected to 100mm, much better, but still does not feel perfect. Cornering at high speeds still feels a little strange. I would recommend going for the Fox F80 shocks and for-going the extra travel for more stability at high speeds. I might even get an old set of Rock Shox or manitous with 63mm travel. I am not a big fan of forks with lots of travel. No matter what is done to compensate in frame geometery, bikes still have to have certain parts in the same place, such as axles, derailleurs etc. I find in almost every case you increase performance and handling by lowering the front end, but maybe thats just me. When I started mountain biking there was no such thing as front suspension, so anything over about 410mm feels wonky to me.

Merlin,

[Jul 03, 2009]
Tom Fajarillo

OVERALL
Strength:

Wow! Imagine after 12 years, I finally was able to write a review for my old OBED bike. I am speechless. This bike is way better than any dual-suspension I have from all this years. I crack two frames of my intense spider dual-suspension. Sold it later but kept my OBED. Then, I spend more money for another Litespeed Niota titanium and I broke the tube in my rear triangle framed. In short, I abuse and beat the OBED and nothing breaks. The best HARDTAIL ever! All frames come and go, this one will stay till the END. I just replaced my fork (fox f32 100mm RL). I will be riding hardtail again and ride my Niota only on summer and for show-off.

NONE!!!!!

As previously said in product strengths: This bike will last a lifetime. Heck, my grandchildren will probably use it someday. The new OBED cost an arm and a leg. Litespeed knows the durability of this framed. So, they are starting to make a model again. Buy one!!!! You won't regret it.

Intense spider, Niota Litespeed 2006

[Feb 17, 2002]
John

OVERALL
Strength:

This bike has taken all the abuse i can give it. i am a Clysdale rider whoa verages 210 most of the time. This bike has been used in th Kentucky Point Series as well as countless other rides. It is stiff but forgiving in all but the worst hardpack rock covered trails. I am a traditionalist when it comes to bikes and I must admit if this were a road bike it would be in the same group as a Eddy Merkx Corsa. (I guess that dates me a little). I would recommend this bike to anyone who loves to ride mountain bikes and wants a reliable, comfortable, stable, and overall great bike!

Weakness..... what weakness??? I guess the flex in the rear with V-Brakes but a $40 shimano carbon fiber brace took care of that.

I know the price has doubled in the past few years buthis bike is a keeper and will be with you for years to come!!!

Raleigh Easton E-9 Peak, GT LTS,

[Mar 26, 1998]
Bill
racer

OVERALL

I have raced my 18 Obed for 2 seasons now and plan on continuing to use it as my cross-country steed. The long top tube and light weight make it the right choice for me. I'm 5'9 and weigh 130 lbs., so the flex is not a factor for me. I have had Klein and Ritchey hardtails and neither one came close to the Obeds handling. I did, however, slightly bend the derailleur hanger which had to be straightened. A replacable aluminum hanger would be a nice addition.
Overall, a pure racer. The top tube might be a little too long for some people who are not used to being rather stretched out. I give it the maximum number of chilies. But if you're a heavier rider, it's not for you.

[Jul 18, 1997]
Patrick
weekend warrior

OVERALL

I just purchased the Litespeed Obed frame and my first ride was yesterday. While I may not be the most learned in tech talk, etc., I can say that the experience was exhilarating. Coming from and lauminum hardtail, I was simply amazed by the amount of vibration the frame absorbed while remaining stiff and highly controllable. My body took less of a beating, which pleased my wife to no end. I could not be more pleased with my purchase.

[Jul 14, 1997]
Jim

OVERALL

Just got my Obed hardtail. This bike handles like a dream! Very responsive, very comfortable. I thought it might feel a bit soft, since my previous ride was the bone-jarring GT Zaskar. However, the Obed is stiffer than I anticipated. I have not noticed any flex at all. The place where I really notice the titanium is on rocky downhills. Certain trails would send me crying to the dentist to have fillings replaced -- not anymore. The Obed really smooths out the rough stuff. (For the record, I'm about 150lbs. Big guys may notice a bit of flex.)

[Jul 12, 1997]
M.R.

OVERALL

I Just Purchased A Litespeed Obed Hardtail Frame And All I Can Say Is That The Ride
Is Amazing. It Feels Like No Other Bike I Have Ridden It Is So Smooth And Responsive,
Yet It Still Remains Stiff In All The Right Places.....Just Perfect, Five Stars.
(By The Way, I'm 160+ Lbs.....And Have Had No Problems With Flex.)

[Jan 09, 2000]
Olde Bike Scribe
Cross-Country Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

This frame set just works. Light weight Stiff enough for me (I weight 200ls). Hard to beieve this is their entry level frame).

The price

Best bike investment I have made thus far. I will be enjoying the bike long after the shock of the price wears off. Great factory tech support.When I bent a derailer hanger the factory tech folks were great in assisting me to staighten it. If you like a hard tail and can come close to affording a LiteSpeed DO IT.

Gary Fisher Advance

[May 23, 1998]
Steven

OVERALL

I am looking for a new frame; I just saw that some found the Obed quite unexpensive !!! Could someone give me a nice adress ? Thanks a lot !
I have a Kona Kula made of Easton Elite 7005...Equiped with main XT, some XTR, and Z2 fork.
Greeting from Norway !!

[Oct 22, 1997]
Jumpin Jay
racer

OVERALL

I got my Obed from Colorado Cyclist cheap and I love it. Nice workmanship and great handling. I weigh 145lbs. and I don't notice flex at all. I do notice that it does take the edge off of bumps that would rattle me on my aluminum frame. Climbing and acceleration is far supperior to my last bike due to it's lower weight. Ahhhh Litespeed!

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.