Litespeed Hiawassee Frame Frameset

Litespeed Hiawassee frame

[Apr 26, 2007]
John

OVERALL
Strength:

Durability, light weight, stiffness.

No disc tabs.

Sometimes I feel like I am riding a magic carpet. It is very responsive and smooth. It seems like it can almost read my mind. Plus it is super durable, I am the third owner of this bike and it still rides better than most new bikes. This bike will never go out of style or become obsolete no matter how long it is around.

Trek 8500

[Oct 27, 2001]
Ti Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Litespeed Quality
Great Handling
Classic HT lines
Light

I bought this bike new in 99. I stripped the bike down to the frame put the old parts on my old Cannondale and sold it. I build the Hiwassee for durability and light. I've gotten both. I've traveled all over the country with it and it's still going strong. It's held up beautifully under my 200 lbs. If you find a used Litespeed Hiwassee and are wondering if you should buy it - my advice buy it immediately, build it up right and ride and enjoy. There is one problem with them though - they are last bike you'll ever buy.

Cannondale M400

[Jan 30, 2004]
Perry Adriano

OVERALL
Strength:

Ti Main triangle 7005 rear aluminum Horst Link rear. I ride this bike regularly up Mt Diablo's North Ridge Trail. Climbs great and is acceptably manuvable on the downhills from 2000+ ft elevation.

Bike was purchased from a gentleman from Moab Utah. Components showed signs of fade and wear from years of riding.

My intent was to restore the bike, frame up when got it. I was surprised to find that the frame was still in perfect alighnment, (incl dropouts, hangar ) hoarst link bushings looked new, so all I had to do was buff the TI a little, get new decals from Litespeed, and the thing looked brand new. Installed Upgraded components and I had a sub 25 lbs. FS XC bike!

I was very impressed when I first took it up Mt. Diablo. It handled predictably well on the climb although pedal bob was something I had to get used to, but was minimized by adjusting the spring compression on the Original Rock shox delux.

Ridding downhill was a BLAST suspension handling was predictable although limited by the capability of the rear RS delux. Front Judy SL worked fine. I did service the front suspension and upgraded to Ressi Gems and Enduro seals (both great products). I think my next upgrade will be a Risse Astro 5 or Terminator for the rear.

Im happy, with the bike and its performance considering the frame is almost 6 years old, guess thats just Litespeed quality!

Rear shocks are very limited. Good thing Risse builds for this application. Litespeed no longer sells suspension parts for the bike and have not found any, yet, on the web. I do dread the day I get suspension link problems,

98 Hiawasse FS all around great bike for my application. Technology on this bike is old but still performs. I like it!! but what do I know?

Fisher CR-7, Klien Attitude, KHS LTS1

[Oct 03, 1998]
C Puliafito

OVERALL

Got my Hiwasse about 4 weeks ago from Farina Bicycles in Watertown. Apparently, the 1998 models are sold out because Litespeed had to contact a dealer to get the frame in the size that I needed. It's an outstanding machine. I set it up with XT package with Rock Sock Judy SLs as described in the Litespeed web site. A great ride. Excellent climbing. Rugged yet unbelievably light (about 25 lbs). I am sure that this is the best full suspension titantium frameset out there,.

[Sep 26, 1998]
Andy

OVERALL

Great frame! I built mine with XTcranks, deraillers, BB, levers, Avid brakes, Control Tech stem/seatpost, Flite saddle, King hubs/517 rims, Speciallized Control/Master tires and an Atom Bomb fork. It weighs in at about 26.5 lbs (19.5 frame) which is fine for me. I was used to riding my old '89 Stumpjumper Comp which weighs 29 lbs. I bought it iin early June and have ridden it 3-4 times a week including doing the 24 hrs of New England. I had to wait 2 months to get it because of a recall on the rear triangle (interference with the chain on the small cog). It was worth the wait. It rides cross-country very smooth and has accurate, responsive steering. The only thing that take getting used to is super steep, technical decents over rocky terrain. The Marzocci compresses while the Rock Shox extends and it gives the feeling of going endo. You just hang on and it will get down it, but it is a test of wits.I have only had 1 problem with it so far. The Rock Shox Deluxe blew a seal right before the 24 hr race. Needless to say, I did the race with no shock damping and it still performed well. Rock Shox replaced the shock in 2 weeks including 2-day shipping. I just wish other companies would offer shocks to fit this frame, I have not found any yet.The only little gripe I have are the cable stays on the top tube. After scraping my knees several times, I filed the sharp edges round with a file. Other than that, it is a great frame. It climbs equally well to a hardtail counteracting slight suspension-induced power loss with excellent traction. It feels light and very lively. Quality of workmanship is top rate.

[Oct 19, 1997]
Dan McGaha
weekend warrior

OVERALL

This frame is incredible. Why are they virtually unheard of? I built up a bike and it's so light without really trick components that I almost throw it out from under me in the tight stuff!
Chuck from below was right - it eats up tight singletrack, and you really have to try to crash it (though it can be done). The '97 is the last hardtail Hiwassee, and that's what I got. The S-bend chain- and seat-stays, along with the awesome welds, make you want to look at it almost as much as you want to throw it into a turn.
While I can't say that it sucks up all the bumps, it is very supple and does take the edge off most hits.
Fit it with a Judy XC, ESP 9.0s and Avid brakes, and you have one fast, light, beautiful trail-burner. It really turns heads.
There is one minus: The machined aluminum cable guides will draw blood if they get hold of you - they should be top-routed as Masabo suugests.
My advice: Splurge. Get a Litespeed. You won't be sorry.

[Mar 20, 2001]
Javier Garza

OVERALL
Strength:

Acceleration out of the seat,and loves to climbs

corners can be a little scary but once you get to know what the bike is capable of doing corners become very predictable as well as your outcome of your race!!!

I bought this bike back in 96 and decided to take up the sport of mountain biking. This hiwassee is a hardtail,and i know that they turned the hiwassee into a full suspension now. After upgrading my hiwassee i will not trade or even think about trading this bike. Litespeed's are bike's for life and i plan to pass this bike to my kids whom ever decides to race mtb's. This bike rocks. Anyone looking for a nice older model hardtail to upgrade the 96 or 95 hardtail hiwassee is a bike for life. and will be well worth it!!!!!!

Schwin hardtail bike,and Diamond Back hardtail

[Mar 01, 2001]
Erin

OVERALL
Strength:

Short travel XC bike with simple rear suspension design. Actually same design as the Titus Racer-X. I had the Obed FS but sold it to buy the Hiwasse FS because it had the dropped top tube with more standover clearance, beefier rear triangle and the beefy seat stay reinforcement to reduce seat stay flex during hard braking. Also has the Horst Link.

Get rid of the RS rear coil over shock and buy the Risse Astro-5. The Risse is a winner and the adjustable damping control is one lever only that goes from plush to firm in a 180 degree swing. Makes the bike really enjoyable to ride.

Been wanting a Hiwasse FS since I read the MBA magazine test review in 98. Wanted to build up a dependable XC/trail bike. Sacrificed some weight with the front shock and disc brakes but this bike is the bomb.

Obed FS with the Risse Genesis. Merlin Fat Beat

[Jul 16, 1999]
Roger
Cross-Country Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Lightweight,nimble
what an XC dually should feel like.

The stock rock skox deluxe stinks. It makes the rear to bouncy (no dampning adjust)
Bushings need to be greased regularly

Best damn bike I've riden. Changed the rear shock and I love it even more. Screw the fact that you can't get big name R. shock, the Risses is wonderful. To bad litespeed isn't making this bike anymore I'd like to hve seen the next incarnation of this machine. If you can find one buy it. Don't be like everyone else. By the way Colorado Cyclist still has a few.

Fisher Joshua

[Oct 31, 1998]
Tim Peters

OVERALL

When writing my review I forgot to mention Quiet Hut Sports in Whitewater Wisconsin. If you live in Northern Illinois or Souther Wisconsin and are planning on buying a Litespeed, go to the Hut. 5 Chiles for the Quiet Hut!!!

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.