Ibis Mojo Frameset

Ibis Mojo

[Sep 10, 2010]
petiot

OVERALL
Strength:

smooth looking design, smooth ride, comfy but sharp when powering, traction/grip, do-it-all bike, paint, etc etc ...

cable routing, chain slap ... that is it so far

I managed to get one of the last Mojo classic frame. for info, Ibis stops the production of the Mojo classic, but keep the SL (and will add the classic's colors to the SL range), to make room for the HD140 (all this confirmed by Scot Nicols himself).

So I struggled a bit to get the size/color i wanted but here i am and honestly, it was all worth it: the frame design is really awesome. Once you have it in hands it feels much stronger than on photos. It is all curve and smooth shapes, and i could not help thinking "form is function" when looking at this bike.

The ride is as other have said: very smooth, but sharp when pedaling. bumps are swallowed to such an extent than technical climbs and tricky sections don't slow down the bike so it just scroll through this kind of stuff. One thing that amazed me compared to the Orbea monopivot system is how much grip you get on technical climbs ... simply amazing (pretty much like the BMC VPP system).

I am 1.80 meters tall and size L fits perfectly. I hesitated between a 150 or 140 mm fork, and went for the 150. It seems to be a perfect match for this bike as the front ends does not wander on climbs, and when pointing downhill, 150 travel front is all what you need. I am running 150psi in the RP23 BV shock (for 75kg all geared up) but i managed to blow through the whole travel without doing much. That said, it is clear than on the same tracks this bike allows me to go much much faster than my previous one.

One word on the paint; It is strong, definitely (just got a direct hit today and i can barely see the impact), and the nuclear green pesto color is just awesome. Kind of shine happiness in the gray weather! with an average set up the bike is just a tad over 11.6 kg so, with a bit of cash you can easily go under 11kg, which for a 140 travel bike is kind of sweet!

PS: you can see it here: petiot.dnsalias.com/photo_Ibis

I will update this review in a couple of month once i have discovered the downsides .... if any ;)

Orbea Occam, BMC FS01, Giant anthem

[Nov 11, 2006]
Ken

OVERALL
Strength:

The original steel "hand-job" frame-1994 model

too cool

This bike sat and collected dust while I went thru my middle age full-suspension crisis. After the dbl. boinger went down for repairs (again) I decided to cruise the ol Mojo.
Back in love again. The bike can do it all,
even with only One F'n Speed!
OFS means you are always in the right gear, plus no suspensiondrivetrain rattle.
Pure riding pleasure!!

as if!

[Dec 28, 2001]
chris s

OVERALL
Strength:

handling stiffness paint colors and quality one of the sweetest frames out there

customer support and service cracked frame at seatpost lug weld woman in cust serv didnt even know what a seat lug was said the were going to cut out bad area and reweld just rewelded over cracked weld instead after second ride recracked in exact same location took way way too long to fix poorly the first time noone even asked if anyone got hurt from their defective frame

great handling frame one of the best ive ever ridden worth the ibis co. problems that go along with it not sure now that the co. has just been sold will see if things improve or get worse.

bianchi merlin khs raleigh specialized ritchey trek

[Mar 02, 2007]
Allen

OVERALL
Strength:

Excellent handling, decending, climbing, single track, etc.. Highest quality steel frame

not here

For me, this bike sets the standard for all hardtails.
I have alot of experience on racing hardtails and this is the benchmark for all others hardtails to follow. I`ve owned this bike for 9 years and it`s still in very good condition; I`ve replaced numerous parts due to wear but it`s still sharp as new- this bike I will allways hold onto.
To bad the new Ibis (2006) isn`t making any hardtails- atleast as of yet. Maybe they`ll make a carbon hardtail?

Fatchance wicked light, slingshot, GT psyclone,
bridgestone MB1

[Sep 05, 2001]
Sparklenuts

OVERALL
Strength:

I didn't know a frame could be this good!!!

No local dealers.

I have tried this frame for a couple of weeks and it is Shaweet!!! I love how comfortable but responsive it is. I feel like I am riding a classic because it is so supple. It climbs great and screams through tight singletrack. If there is better i would like to try. I think that any frame from these small builders (Ibis to me is still small) will be great. Chris DeKerf is making great stuff and I have heard great things about Carl Strong frames. If you keep your eyes open you can build up a great bike for less than 1500.00 and have something that you won't see every day.

I also ride a DeKerf and a Willits Ti. This frame is right up there.

[Apr 10, 2003]
Bob

OVERALL
Strength:

The aura of riding an Ibis (Mojo). Pretty straight forward as far as this bike; it's a hardtail for cryin' out loud.

Ibis is out of business, so replacement parts (downtube sticker) are hard to come by.

I've had this bike since 1999. Bottom line, I love it! The bike is a little "squirrely" at the bottom bracket, but I'm 180 pounds, so that may explain it. No substantiated complaints! It being a hardtail, there really isn't much that can go wrong. After three years, no cracks or other manufacturing defects or problems. The only complaint is that Ibis is out of business.

Diamondback, Trek, Bianchi....

[May 25, 2001]
Parker Collins

OVERALL
Strength:

Handles better than almost anything I have ever ridden. Steel version is priced well, rides awesome, and Blood Red is the coolest color

Some lower back pain, but I've yet to work out the saddle fine tuning and all that crap, so I won't blame the frame yet

If I can work out the lower back pain, then this is the only bike I need to buy. It's just awesome.

Other bikes, mostly Specialized aluminum hardtails

[Apr 17, 2001]
Jon Robinette

OVERALL
Strength:

The ride, the welds, the colors, the details.

It's almost too pretty.

This frame is the SH*T! You will not find a more comfortable yet responsive bike on the planet! Stay away from the yuppie Ti and save yourself some bucks. I challenge anyone to find a better looking, better built bike.

I've always had aluminum mountain bikes. It would be a great disservice to compare this bike to aluminum.

[Mar 14, 2001]
J

OVERALL

Handling is just short of amazing. Making turns is not so much initiated by turning the handlebars but by leaning into the turn. It feels awkward at first, but the sensation is similar to skiing on mid-fats and allowing the skis to roll the arc underneath you. A very stable ride, point and go attitude. No nonsense riding. Beautiful paint job - cant beat the powder coat. Totally impervious to weather.

Nishiki Alien

[Jan 01, 2001]
yankeeheel

OVERALL
Strength:

It's the shiznit

It may rust one day.

I wanted to wait until the initial sugar high that a new bike brings wore off before I could review this frame objectively. After 7 months of pounding singletrack from one end of NC to the other, I can say this bike is incredible.

The geometry, feedback, handling, and beauty of it far surpasses large scale production frames. It chews up singletrack. The ride is unreal. It is an incredible climber, an able descender, and an all around monster of a trail bike.

The folks at Ibis are second to none in the customer service department. I'm glad I got it when it was less than eight bills. Even now at $895 it's a deal. Why buy a mass produced cookie cutter bike when you can make your own original?

Other hardtails with less than 1/10 the character of this bike

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.