Habanero Ti MTB Frame Frameset

Habanero Ti MTB Frame

[May 04, 2016]
Ernest K.

OVERALL
Strength:

Great value for the price, Ti strong and light, plenty of options and sizes, quality welds, excellent brushed finished, superb customer service.

None really!

I got myself the CX Disc Habanero frame - it is light as pancakes and strong enough to hold my roof up! But really, I got this frame to build an overkill urban commuter in a town that is known for crater-size potholes and 4 seasons of extreme weather conditions on both the plus and minus side of 0. This is one bad ass frame. The brushed finish is easy to restore. It's taut without being harsh on the ride. Mark was great and got it shipped to me (I live in Canada) within a week's time. I bought this frame 2 years ago, and withheld reviewing it until I got 2 riding seasons in with it. Despite being broken in, it looks brand new still!

[Dec 29, 2011]
pushstart

OVERALL
Strength:

quality, aesthetics/finish, strength, durability, customer service

seatpost binder

To be fair, this review is more for Habanero Cycles in general than their mountain bike frames specifically. I don't have their MTB frame, but I do own two Habanero Cycles frames: one cyclocross frame and one "team nuevo" road frame. These are really fantastic frames; they are built bombproof, very traditional shape, have beautiful welds, and a brushed ti finish that is both good-looking and low-maintenance. While they are not the lightest weight ti frames, they are also not nearly as flexy as the super-light ti frames. For example, my 2002 Lemond Victoire probably weighed 1lb less but would flex laterally like crazy when standing on the pedals (rear wheel would rub the brake pads); that does not happen with my Habanero road frame.

The reviewer that suggested that these are the same frames as XACD is wrong. They are definitely from China and obviously it would be cheaper to go straight to the factory, but it costs the price of the frame to ship it back to China if there is a problem. My buddy bought a MTB frame from XACD; he loved it but it did break within a year (though he's a tough rider, so this isn't to suggest their frames are crap). The finish is not the same either (bead-blasted, if I recall correctly). Anyway, I have nothing against buying from XACD, but you will not get the customer service that you will get with Habanero cycles. That is worth a lot.

I will agree with other posters that the seatpost binders are problematic. I had a slightly under-spec Thomson (!) Masterpiece seatpost that I had to return (to Thomson) on account that it wouldn't keep from slipping. Tried carbon paste, but to no avail. While my new Masterpiece does not slip, the deviation on the previous model was so small that the frame really should have accommodated it. I had no problem with my previous road frame -- and have had no similar issues on frames where I've used a traditional seatpost collar. While the integrated collar is nice aesthetically, it's not worth the hassle. On my CX frame, I never had any issues with the Kona post I bought off ebay; that just happened to be the perfect size (or maybe slightly larger than spec).

It would also be nice to see a few more "no charge" options that are really becoming standards -- like disc tabs on the MTB frames (and maybe CX frames) and a 29er geometry frame.

On the whole, I would heartily recommend Habanero to anyone interested in a quality and inexpensive titanium frame. The product is solid and the customer service is fantastic.

2002 LeMond Victoire (Ti) road bike

[Jun 11, 2011]
NoahWalt

OVERALL
Strength:

ride quality, lightweight

This review is based on the Hab Road bike, Nouveau model with 1" head tube. Super light-gives any modern carbon bike a run for it's money regarding weight. Overbuilt chain stays, der hanger. It's very good looking if you like a conventional geometry bike. VERY GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE & VALUE!

Everti Ti-fighter

[Jan 09, 2011]
Plain Jim

OVERALL
Strength:

Titanium frame! Light & maintenance-free!

Seat post binder

I love this frame. I love the way it feels, I love the way the parts built up on it, and I love riding it. I have a stupid quibble about the way the bolts for the water-bottle cages are set up (it's hard to find two cages that will fit in the lower-on-the-downtube, higher-on-the-seattube setup), but that really is just a quibble.

Nonetheless, I can't recommend the frame.

When I first got the frame, I couldn't tighten the bolt on the integrated seatpost binder enough that the seatpost didn't slip down into the seattube. I finally tightened the bolt enough that either the weld, or the material of the tube itself, broke. Mark took the frame back and ground off the binder so I could use a separate saddle clamp, and it works well that way. The site of the grinding was scarred; I was able to fix it, to the point that it's not too noticeable, with a wire brush and some 0 steel wool.

Mark said he thought the problem was that the seat tube might be a smaller diameter than the 27.2mm spec; he said that even 27.1mm might be problematic and 27.0mm was almost CERTAINLY going to be trouble. He suggested I sent the seatpost to him to be measured, which I did, but I didn't get the measurement back.

If I were to buy again, I'd ask for the seatpost binder to be ground off at order time, or I'd go with a different vendor. (It also helps to mix some chalk [plain blackboard chalk] in the light grease I put on the seatpost when I insert it.)

Giant aluminum frame

[Jul 13, 2010]
jeffk_123

OVERALL
Strength:

price, rigidity, durability

soo stiff

this bike is stupid fast, i love it. Takes a minute to get used to the aggressive angles but once you are, hold on and get ready to push faster and faster. Now i almost always ride to the trails, just pump the tires to 70 and i can keep up with all but the most intense road bikers, then get to the trail and air em down and let her rip. awesome bike crushes the trek.

trek carbon hardtail, santa cruz juliana

[Jun 29, 2010]
wmr1276

OVERALL
Strength:

this is an intro post, after which i will write a review when i have absorbed the bike. i am building it up right now and everything seems nice and clean. . .hopefully the ride will be the same.

none so far

i am yet to see the bottom line, but everything seems promising and the guys at Habanero were great to deal with. the welds look great (and i am comparing them to the SEROTTA that just left my house). I bought this bike because my personality is like an old toyota landcruiser and the SEROTTA was a Ferrari. I hope that it fits the bill. . . more to come.

SEROTTA HSG Ti

[Jul 31, 2009]
magixuser

OVERALL
Strength:

Very neat and nice welds, Stiff and strong, Superb customer service :)

None so far...

What can I say, after several crashes and some bad fall all the bike has to show was a small scratch on the downtube decal. Never even had a dent or a crack. E-mailed Customer Service (Mark) and asked for a replacement Decal. After a few days New set of Decals are on the Mail and slap them back on and the Frame is as good as New. Never had a problem climbing steep slopes and hardly feel any flex at all unlike other Ti frames I tried. Several of my bikes comes and goes but this one is definitely a keeper.

Voodoo Djab, Jamis Durango, Flyte Ti, Turner Flux, Rocky Mountain Element 10,DBomB Rocketbomb, Wheeler Ti, etc...

[Jul 01, 2009]
BOAB

OVERALL
Strength:

Light weight, strong, stiff, great welds, custom

NONE

These bikes aren't actually mine. The frames were bought directly from Habanero Cycles, and I built them up for customers. First I have to say that Mark and the other associates at Habanero are amazing at what they do, customer service is above and beyond. Since both frames were custom, communications were open and constant, with no topic or question not covered. Delivery was as quoted, and the frames were amazing quality, welds and lines were clean.
They matched the desired geometry and made recommendations that would work best. They certainly want their frames to perform at their best. If you are looking for a custom ti frame, mtb or road bike frame, you need to give them a shot. Custom frame for $1300.00, I'm saving for one now for myself.

[Nov 29, 2001]
Minh

OVERALL
Strength:

Ti for a great price, pretty brushed finish, service, great service, 1/2 price crash replacement, stiff and light.

using a Thomson seatpost it initially slipped but i just tightened it and it no longer slips. it takes quite a bit to keep it from slipping. I did have to wait a couple months to get mine in (didn't have 17" for a while).

I can't really add much to what others have already said. Mark was very prompt on replying to e-mails and answered all my questions completely so I went ahead and ordered a frame. It did take a while to get it (out of my size) but when I did, it was very very pretty. Frame was nice and straight, and stiff and light. So the next free weekend I had I built the thing up with components i had been amassing while waiting for the frame.

The first thing I noticed was how much faster it was uphill than my Fisher Paragon (double butted Aluminum). The gearing was about the same so it was not due to that, and fork was same as well. It was lighter by about 3 lbs (22 vs 25) but it made much more of a difference than I would expect 3 lbs to make. And the best part was not it being faster, but it was QUIETER. Another person here has mentioned it was well. For some reason it being quieter provided for a much more easy ride. It was also smoother. It was stiff and rock solid, not stiff and rattle-your-bones. As if i had some "sound-deadening" compared to the Fisher.

After three years, I can't ride anything else. I built a GT LTS-1 about a year after i got my Habby (from a used frame i got off the net, and parts off the Fisher). at 26 lbs it was light (for F/S) but when i rode the GT, it felt like a Huffy! Heavy, slow uphills compared with the Habby. I sold the GT to my uncle a year after that, and i still can't ride it cause i'm spoiled by the habby.

The trails around here are fairly technical, and a fast, light, and stiff hardtail is better suited than a F/S; so until i can afford a Seven, Habby will last forever.

Other notables:
- i use 1.9" tires so i have no clearance problems.
- my stickers are doing fine after 3 years (though i don't fall as much as i used to).
- get lots of oohhs and aahhs from people who don't know what a habby us.
- a friend pointed out to me that the seat stays flex when i squeeze my rear brake hard, but i haven't noticed any problem with braking performance.
- there was a local shop that was supposedly going to start selling habby frames but i have yet to see any other than mine. i kinda hope they don't cause it's kind of neat to have something a little more exclusive than everybody's Litespeed, etc.
- i don't think it will have any problem with longevity as i am fairly light at 155 lbs. it is overbuilt pretty good yet still light.
- didn't notice any sharp cable guides.
- i (and all my friends) absolutely LOVE the chain hanger.
- nice welds
- i only wish the cables were routed on top or bottom of the top tube.
- any questions feel free to e-mail me, that's all for now.

97 Gary Fisher Paragon
97 GT LTS-1
various other hardtails

[Aug 02, 2001]
Charlie

OVERALL
Strength:

Strong simple design, construction quality, clean welds, alignment. Stiffer than the Toccoa.

Not enough rear tire clearance. Could be torsionally / laterally a little stiffer for big riders in the big frame size.

I was planning on buying the Litespeed Toccoa first and had never seen or tried a Habanero. I actually ordered the Toccoa on sale from Colorado Cyclist but two days later they told me it was sold out after first telling me it was in stock. I also looked at the Macalu from Excel sports but they didn't have a big enough frame for me.

My Habanero has cleaner welds (only one spot on one weld is slightly uneven and I am being really picky here) than some of the Toccoas I looked at and has a better geometry for me with its longer top tube altough this year the Toccoa has increased its top tube length as well.

I do wish the Habanero had more rear tire clearance. I'm running 2.1 Panaracer XC Pro tires and I can put enough torque into the frame and rear tire when climbing to make it just touch the chainstay. I'm not sure what is flexing, but I think it is probably the wheel, only really happens when there is some lateral force on the tire like when I am zig-zagging up a climb. Most of the time no problem. The Panaracer is also a pretty tall tire so it really fills up the space between the stays. I can't get my little finger between it and the stay.

I have a little trouble with chain rub when in the big ring, I've played with the derailler and minimized it, but it is still there. Most happens when I am standing up but I would expect it for my size given this isn't a custom frame. The bike climbs great and decends well and is very stable and predictable. I love the way it handles.

I've read here people complaining about the seatpost slipping. I had that problem too for a while but once I changed from the Thompson post to a Syncros post the slippage went away. The seat binder is pretty stiff with the insert and I've found it takes about 85in/lbs to keep a seatpost from slipping for me, I probably wasn't getting it tight enough before. Plus make sure everything is clean and well greased. I think the Thompson got damaged by slipping and after that it just wouldn't hold even at 85in/lbs. So far I've had no problem with slippage with the Syncros or a Thudbuster seatpost.

Its a good value for the money. If I hadn't been in a rush I probably would have ordered a custom from Mark instead with better wheel clearance and a stiffer main triangle and a longer top tube. For normal sized riders this frame is probably plenty stiff. If you got to have titanium and don't feel like you need a boutique bike this bike will definetly serve you well. I love mine but if I were to do it over again I would go custom. If this were a $2K frame I would have to give it 3.5 to 4 chilis, but for $695 for the frame it is deserving of 5 chilis.

Litespeed Toccoa