Balfa Minute Man Frameset

Balfa Minute Man

[Nov 04, 2010]
BUFFBLACKBIRD2002

OVERALL
Strength:

Solid frame, no frills design. Multiple brake setups available. Not a mass-market bike.

Balfa is out of business here in the US so getting original parts is hard. Besides that, none. On the heavier side.

I bought this bike for $50 dollars from a friend. I payed $52 dollars to get a tune up and new sprocket. Turn around and see this bike goes for $500 dollars or more easily. Great solid bike and i cant wait to pile the miles on this monster.

Iron Horse ARS 2.0, Mongoose Masher

[Jan 26, 2009]
b22

OVERALL
Strength:

Everything- physical strength, geometry, versatility, overall badassness... Incredibly fun to ride, whether its on the street, trail, jumping, or going downhill. Handles high speeds very well, turns on a dime, plus its extremely strong- holds the record for the fattest hardtail drop- 30 feet - check it out on youtube. Loki (below) tells it like it is. This frame will outlast any part you can put on it.

addictive

If you ever get the chance to buy one of these frames- do it. Its obscurity adds to its mystique as one of the strongest, most fun hardtail bikes to ride.

DS-1, Chameleon, p1

[Jul 05, 2002]
Jeff

OVERALL
Strength:

Strong, boxed chainstays, cable guides, impeccable welds, Canadian Made, cool company, steel baby!

Non-replaceable derailleur hanger, but at least it's THICK! Very little chain ring clearance

This bike is amazing. I use it for freeriding, North Shore style trails and stunts, dirt jumping, DH and DS racing and even XC.

It is such a smooth bike. It flows so well through the trails it will blow your mind. In DH racing, I have been able to beat many people on far bigger bikes (Super 8s, Bullits, Norco Team DHs, stuff like that). The Minuteman handles so well you can just rail it through the turns, push it over the rough stuff and keep on going. Simply amazing.

I'm even racing it in and 8 Hour endurance race next weekend. Swap in a long stem and some light tires and off you go!

Brodie Holeshot; .243 Racing 4130; DMR Sidekick; Norco Torrent, 250cc, 125cc, Two 50; Kona Roast, Scab, Chute. A whole bunch of duallies.

[Jul 05, 2002]
Adam

OVERALL
Strength:

Everything. Mine is Kawasaki green and has beautiful paint. Huge stays, beautiful gusseting and a feel like no other.

none... well, I'd like to have one set up for XC, one for Trials, one for DJ but hey, that's my problem!

I LOVE this thing. Friends of mine have had theirs for a bit (see Jeff's post above). I love hitting the skatepark with it and have done a little urban/jumping with it as well. It's a sick sick bike. Makes me wanna go fast!
The guys at Balfa rule! 100% canadian bikes! Great warranty!
If you don't wanna worry about snapping hardtails anymore, buy a minuteman. That's all I have to say.

243 4130, 250, 4hun, 125, Roast, Chute, Torrent

[Mar 14, 2002]
elbry sandland

OVERALL
Strength:

.243racing hardtail super strong none butted 4130, super thick lazer cut drop outs and gussets, nice low slung frame for bicycle supercross and freeriding.

yet to find any.

amazing value at £290 uk, limited numvbers make it a cult classic

dmr trailstar

[Mar 07, 2002]
Loki

OVERALL
Strength:

Duh.

It brings out the destructor deep within my psyche. Bwahahahaha...

Are you the kind of rider who lands 12 foot drops to flat on pavement just to hear your bike cry, with a demented grin plastered to your face? The kind of person who eats, sleeps, and rides by the credo ,"Hey y'all, WATCH THIS!"? The breed of lunatic who breaks about the average maximum credit card balance's worth of bike parts per year? The type that even your full-face wearing buddies try to hide from in craven fear when asked to ride with?

Hi. My name's Loki, and I fit the above description to the letter. When I'm off the bike I'm as sweet as Auntie Maye's homemade cherry pie, a 255 pound teddy bear. Plant my hefty posterior on my 2 wheeler however and watch the fear on others' faces as I assume the true Hyde. I've snapped five frames--five bikes that were said to be "indestructible" by all the LBS employees in my area. I've broken a Boxxer's axle and lower crown in two, severed the crown of my Z.1, destroyed a Hanebrink LT-9 in four hours, flat-spotted and made tortillas out of Mammoths and Doublewides in a month's time (wheels that I built myself and insured, once again, by others to be "indestructible"), tore flanges right off of Shimano hubs, broke three "bombproof" Raceface DH cranksets, and have snapped so many bottom bracket axles, splined or not, that I lost count somewhere around the decade mark.

After sending my Stiffee to the Great Beyond, I trot back into my LBS (which shall remain nameless). I talked to my inside man Kyle. He told me of a bike "that won't break. At all! You have to see this thing." I yawned and thought, and wonder how many times I have heard this line before. I walk to the darkest corner of the shop to see this mythical "unbreakable" stallion.

There the shiny new Balfa frame hung from the wall in all its jet-black glory. "It's made of 4130," my faithful friend interjected. "I don't think even you could break it. And Balfa will back it up if you do."

I gave him a deeply skeptical glare. Famous last words, said I. Still I look the steed over. Excellent weld quality and nice attention to detail. Adjustable brake bosses, horizontal dropouts, and substantial-looking gussets. I am quietly impressed. The frame looked like a winner so far.

"How much?" I inquired. Says my insider friend, "$600."

I left the shop with a medium black frame under my arm that day with mixed feelings of promise and doubt.

Two weeks and $2000 later the Balfa is completed. I take her for a light ride, nothing serious. Just a few 5-foot drops off retaining walls, a couple flights of stairs. You know, urban cross-country.

The bike practically laughs at me. So I pick up the heat by a few notches. I find a 7-foot loading dock and bomb off of it, landing almost dead-flat. MX-6 crushes its bump stops in protest. I check the bike. Nothing. Next Sunday I take it to a local North Shore-esque trail and ride down a highly technical downhill smiling like an escaped mental patient all the while. The Balfa feels so solid, something that was missing from all the other bikes I have ridden. Almost like a bank vault or a cast-iron Franklin stove, you know this bike will never be thrown away. It's an investment. It even climbs respectively if you regard its 38 pound mass and three inch wide tire footprint. Point the Balfa's nose down a hill and although it never forgets that it's a hardtail it can rail down a nasty line without deflecting off the (un)beaten path. Cornering isn't great--it's exceptional. It behaves just like a quality slalom hardtail should. While my Super-8 is not a inferior bike, this is the bike that I ride the most simply because it's more enjoyable. Eight inches of soft oil-damped suspension at each end can't compare to the supreme satisfaction you get from riding a hardtail. It challenges you to pick up your game and ride to the best of your ability.

..Ah that's all well and good, but back to the review. Fast-forward five months. I have bent my original XY post, snapped the XT rear derailler off twice, broke three spokes on the rear DeeMax wheel, disabled a Blackspire chainguide, snapped my chain twice, and bent the Profile bottom bracket (!). The Balfa remains intact. Despite my most dedicated sado-masochistic attempts to bring it to its knees, I find myself doing the pleading instead.

What a bike, this.

Future plans: A single-speed with 24" wheels. Or a Rohloff Speedhub p'haps. I abhor snapping derailleurs. Whatever the case, this one is a Rembrandt.

Suffice to say, a long list...
Azonic DS1 (said good-bye when rear triangle broke in 2 places, 5 months)
Cove Stiffee SL (broke the headtube right off, 3 1/2 months)
Kona Chute (g'bye headtube, 4 months)
Santa Cruz Bullit (bent rear triangle, blown rear shock, 1 year)
Kona Stinky D'Lux (broke the rocker arm, 6 months)
Rocky Mountain Pipeline (cracked @ the driveside chainstay, 2 months *personal record*)
Santa Cruz Super-8 (still active duty despite my vallant efforts to send it to the salvage yard in the sky)
The Minuteman and the Super-8 remain the only bikes I have yet to snap in half. Still trying though :^)

[Nov 29, 2001]
Andrejs V

OVERALL
Strength:

Smart steel construction. Adjustable brake bosses. All the stuff I said before. This is just an update on my satisfaction with this product.

I'd rather have a BMX bb as my bearings in my Profile set are starting to get some chunky action...

Okay, well, Ive started jumping this thing off some buildings, Ive taken it off some 9+footers onto flat concrete and flatspotted the hell out of my XY and Trailpimps, I do stairgap/trannies, take it off doubledigit drops on the freeride trails in KW, etc..etc...

I LOOOOOOOOVE this bike, I feel so good on it, it's so comfortable for everything I do,... Since I can only afford one bike, I am so glad I bought this thing. It handles all the different types of riding I like to do, and takes all my abuse. Balfa is a totally cool company, and I give them mad props, and Im not even sponsored by them... I could recommend one of these frames to anyone in any discipline as an all arounder fun bike. Build it up light for trails, build it up tough for urban, build it slack for dual or DH, build it steep for jumping, or build it tough and somewhat slack for all around use. Even build it up as a trials bike! Stock or Mod! This bike can do it all. Steel, backed by 2year warranty, Canadian made, and light for it's strength...

U won't regret buying this frame if you set it up properly for what you are doing...

Quake, 125, 250, Scab, Roast, ... others...

[Feb 14, 2003]
rider of the hills

OVERALL
Strength:

every thing thi is the best bike ever!!!!....its strong and hase the best feel when u are screamen down the hill!

there are none!

this the ultamite down hill/free ride bike ever. if u think u can make or findd a better bike u dont know what u are talking about. so if u have the money to make this bike work, do not delay and get it. it will not break or bend or crack, this thing is indestructable!!. so believe me when i say the balfa minute man is the best frame on the market right now!!!

norco 250
kona stuff, scab, roast

[Dec 28, 2003]
Adam

OVERALL
Strength:

Beautifully crafted machine, rides and jumps like a dream. It is super stable in the air, and very stable at high speeds. Its geometry is perfect for nearly everthing, its not too twitchy yet not to raked. This bike has the biggest manual spot I have ever felt. Its so big my manuals instantly got several seconds longer then from my bmx bike. It jayhops perfectly, not too fast like some bmx/trials bikes can do, but not at all delayed and slow like a longer chainstay bike will do. I woulnt change a thing on it. The aircraft grade chromoly frame is incredibly resiliant, and dropping it is very secure feeling, and not stinging feeling or jarring like an aluminum frame will have. The frame is indestructable as far as i know. The people at balfa are really nice too.

absolutely none

Buy this frame if you are in the market for an urban/park/dirtjump/dualslalom,
hell even downhill/hucker/northshore type ride there is no better option in my opinion. Of course i havent ridden every bike out there, but you cant go wrong with the minuteman.

[Mar 19, 2007]
peter

OVERALL
Strength:

frame, cranks, bb, wheels

nothing as of now

wicked bike, unreal how strong it is, im really happy i bought.

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.