Surly Ice Cream Truck Fat Bikes

The Ice Cream Truck frame is symmetrically spaced at 190mm. It features our MDS dropout system so you have the option of running a 197mm thru-axle, 190mm geared or a single speed rear end. It also features a 132mm wide PressFit 41 bottom bracket. Giving the Ice Cream Truck a PF41 bottom bracket allowed us to move the stays out and create a much stiffer rear end. The frame is spec’d with a 44mm headtube to give you options in the fork department and comes with a suspension corrected straight blade fork with dropouts spaced at 150mm with a 15mm thru-axle.

[Oct 08, 2018]
the cyclery

OVERALL
Strength:

2019 ICT in green..... Fun, fun,, fun! Rediscovered trails I've ridden for 20 plus years..... Handles like a trail bike while at the same time is unlike anything I've ridden.... Corners, climbs and goes over anything out there. Replaced stock handle bar with Surly Sunrise bar... incredible, so much fun!

Rear wheel in dropouts come loose... bought Surly Monkey Nuts V2 but actually made it worse....

Price Paid:
2019
[Jun 15, 2017]
Jim

OVERALL
Strength:

Ir can take you anywhere you have the nerve and the strength to go and it is incredibly fun to ride.

If you ever want to ride with friends they need to have something comparable or else you are on your own and it is still fun.

I'm 74 years old and have been a roadie ever since I started riding as an adult in 1969. I'm also a hiker and I have long resented mountain bikers on the few occasions when our paths have crossed on trails. But these last few years as I have been riding my road bike on roads through the open desert and I have looked at all these off-road trails and dirt roads that I began wondering where they might take me. About a month ago after much reflection I bought a Surly Ice Cream Truck and its been a whole lot of fun and a new bike riding learning experience for me. It's cycling, but it also is kind of hiking in that you can go places that roads won't take you. I now feel guilty for my ugly thoughts toward cyclists that I have seen on the trails.

[Dec 30, 2015]
Bodie6

OVERALL
Strength:

Nate tires, Clutch rear derailleur, versitility

A bit heavy and the thumb shifters

This review is for the ICT Ops version, which I picked up during Surly's killer sale ($1,200) in late 2015. My previous fatty was a Surly Pugsley, which I absolutely loved. I sold the Pugs to get the ICT.

A few key differences between the Pugs and the ICT. First, unlike the Pugs, I love how the ICT comes with a tapered head tube, which will allow me to throw on a Bluto fork come summer, while switching back to the steel fork during winter. Second, the Rolling Darryl wheels are an upgrade from the Marge Lites and definitely help expand the contact patch of the Nates. Third, the clutch rear derailleur virtually eliminates chain slap, which was a common problem on my Pugs.

So, how does it ride? Well, it is a pig on the uphills, that's for sure. This is most likely due to the slack head tube. Whereas my Pugs climbed most hills with relative ease (for a fat bike), the ICT is a bit slower and more sluggish going up hill. However, I imagine that this will change once I get more familiar with the bike. On the flip side, however, once the ICT gets up to speed, the ride is super stable, and the bike definitely wants to go faster. This is a bit different from the Pugs, insofar as the Pugs would sometimes get a bit sketchy once the hill pointed down and the speeds increased.

The steel frame is heavy, yes, but I absolutely love the feel of a good steel frame. It dampens the trail chatter, and I honestly feel that the ICT frame is indestructible. Rock gardens? No problem. 2-3 foot drops? Piece of cake. I imagine that the frame will really come alive once I throw on the Bluto fork.

I also like that I can put on 5" tires, if I choose to do so. However, the Nates are absolutely perfect for snow and loose over hardpack.

[Nov 19, 2014]
Bryan1113
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Awesome traction, solid feel on the trail, Plows through loose sand and whatever else you throw at it! Great climber considering the weight of the bike.

heavy but so am I

Coming from 29er HT this bike just amazed me on how it handles...I live in desert area and this bike just plows through it all. Yes it's HEAVY and RIGID but there is something about it that keeps me coming back to it and my other bike is collecting dust. Bike really surprised me on the downhills. There are so many trails I have avoided because it's loose and sandy but now i'm riding them all. Did I mention it's FAST? Once this bike gets going it's like a runaway train especially on downhill sections. Very very happy with my first Fat Bike...go buy one if you can find one. Happy Trails

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.