State Bicycle Co. Megalith Fat Bikes

[Dec 14, 2015]
lmcfarlin
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

4130 Steel frame and the paint by Folly is kinda cool.

The build kit is beyond weak. No name trash parts. Headset consists of exposed bearings in foil trays. The fork is loose in the headset and wobbles. This is a singlespeed which is supposed to mean a reliable low-fuss setup. It's the opposite.

Plan to upgrade everything. Also, don't ride in the snow or anywhere wet. The chain will derail often and you'll be lucky to complete assembly of this without issues. The headset is wobbly garbage at the outset. The fork wouldn't line up the brake rotor to the brake caliper and instead the rotor was pushed up against the brake body and mounting hardware. I had to go get a 3/8" lock washer to put between the hub and the fork to get it to line up right. The chainline is almost unusable (and truly unusable if it's wet). The chain ring needs to come in 10-15mm if not more and I derailed constantly in the snow. Everything is no-name junk so I'm already preparing for everything to break down. This ended up being a frame purchase since everything else is throw-away and I've already started to process of ordering various parts to upgrade everything. Upgrade isn't even the right word. I'm just trying to make the bike work. I did contact State via online chat and they said to email them. I did that too and never heard back. Forget about support. I wrote a negative review via the "Submit a Review" link and it hasn't shown up. I did notice that all of their bikes show perfect 5-star review averages.

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.