Transition Bikes Gran Mal Downhill Full Suspension

Designed for two purposes, eat up DH courses and tear up the sickest freeride lines on the mountain. The Gran Mal offers nearly limitless adjustability with the option to run different stroke rear shocks as well as bottom bracket height and head angle adjustments. Run the Gran Mal with a different stroke shock to turn it into a totally different bike. Run a 2.25" stroke shock for DH courses that are fast and flowy, then change up to a 3" stroke for the runs with nasty rock gardens and drops. With up to 222mm of rear travel the Gran Mal is the most confidence inspiring bike.

[Apr 20, 2019]
psikodelikz

OVERALL
Strength:

Update to previous review: Yes, I am still putting the beast through the ringer, despite the pleas from my lbs crew (and wife who upgraded to the Evil Insurgent last year) to upgrade to a new bike (at least less than a decade old) but now we're on version 6.0 - after blowing the chain 3 miles up Parkway at Horse Ridge in Bend (it was also late afternoon, with the morning spent up at Phil's getting rowdy). Its burly, strong, stiff, and multifunctional - the Swiss Army knife of bikes. I loved the concept of this bike when it came out, and was sad to see it fade away to newer models, but such is "progress" in the bike world (I also still ride the sh!t out of 2002 Evil Imperial on the trails, so call me nostalgic or old or delusional). This will take any line you throw into, laugh at you if you can't handle the line, and giggle as you lay in blood & tears from not handling the line... yet the damn thing won't break (firm believer in the adage, if it ain't broke, don't replace it) unlike the first 5 versions of components that weren't engineered like this bike. We are still out there: the salty dogs who piece their Frankenstein bikes together as needed (usually due to small bits flying away at high speeds), not replacing to "this years model" just for the sake of it. I have ridden the latest & greatest through the years, and there are better bikes, but I still hold onto the fact I can race it, bike-park it, climb it, you get the idea. I've utilized different shock setups (coil in 9.5x3 & 7.875x2, air in 7.5x2) and geometry/travel settings (short/long travel setting at the link & drop-out/HA setting at the rear) through all the versions, currently running 6.6"/168mm travel setting.

Now for the downsides. Yes it is heavy (not as heavy as my Banshee Scream that never gets to ride anymore, cuz she fat at 58#) but is also all relative. To the weight-weenie cry-babies, spec your components properly, and it's still a blast despite weight. Real weight is the 2002 Shiver that was raced on the front end for years, now a big single crown a third the weight pulls duty. The weight is very noticeable if you spend more time climbing than having fun, but once your up top (or the crest of yet another leg burner) you will have to wait for everyone else at the bottom. I did mention this frame is stiff, but that isn't always ideal. You do have to get your suspension dialed in for the pivot/design/stiffness cooperation, this is paramount for riding fast & rocky/rutty courses/trails. If it ain't broke...

Price Paid:
Purchased:
Used
Model Year:
2007
[Apr 27, 2009]
kovacs2121

OVERALL
Strength:

rigid, strong, plush, many adjustments. very good overall ride can take anything you can throw at it (literally)

maybe ground tracking, weight, pivots near dropouts loosen, but thats what your compromise for a bike that will last.

bottom line is simply if you want a great, stiff, DH or FR bike this IS it!
you give a little up on weight to get complete lateral stiffness on this frame but its worth it.

marin team dh. transition covert, giant glory dh

[May 22, 2008]
jake

OVERALL
Strength:

this frame is the strongest frame i have ever ridden. The suspension is amazing i ride a 500 lb spring and i haven't fully bottomed it out yet! very strong frame looks nice rides even better than it looks.

none except the swing arm/barring bolts come loose every once and a wile

bottom line is if u want a good bike that will kick the trails azz and be kind to yours the gran mal is the one!!!! i love this bike bore than life its self. i spent 3 years and $4400 on this bike. its my baby

kona,stinky,stab,stab deluxe,Elsworth dare, blindside

[May 28, 2007]
Kai Moncino

OVERALL
Strength:

Incredibly strong and solid. This bike can take absolutely anything that you throw at it. Pedals well too.

It is a little heavy.

This is a top of the line bike for downhill and freeride, maybe more for freeride due to the weight. You will never have to think you bike can't handle something if you are on one of these beasts.

Santa Cruz vp-free, devinci

[Apr 09, 2007]
Bryan

OVERALL
Strength:

Extremely stable. Plush yet not rigid. Well balanced. Extremely well balanced. Frame strength. Solid seatpost. Can climb anything, launch off anything and hit the BMX style jumps while maintaining total stability!!!! Confidence.

Pricey, but what isn't. It's hard to hold the same XC pace I was used to. Does that count?

6'0 223lbs
I am a previous BMXer. I rode Mnt for many years. I broke many bikes, parts and bodily injuries. No bike could take the abuse. Motocross was the only choice! I ride tracks only and have only the best when it comes to suspension. Money well spent!!!
I live in SoCal and have no lifts in my hood, I EARN all my turns (I am jealous of those that dont!). I have many friends that ride XC, freeride and some DH. I do urban and family rides, but bottom line:
My bike must be able to launch rock faces, walls, jump like my MX bike and pedal up the steepest hill.
The 2007 Gran Mal excels at all the above! Weight weenies eat my dust(on the way down)! This bike goes anywhere you point it. Do not hesitate to purchase this bike, you will be rewarded handsomely..... or you can watch and wish as the Gran Mal destroys anything in its path.

2002 KX 250_2005 Marin Rocky Ridge_2006 KX 250

[Mar 25, 2007]
Edgar

OVERALL
Strength:

Super active and plush; fully adjustable for DH and 4X without changing the geo's; 1.5" head makes for burly front end.

Some say weight, but when its built right, that is not an issue.

The best bike for every facet of racing and riding. I can change from a DH race setup to the 4X setup to an all-mountain setup on the weekends. This bike will not disappoint anyone wanting to ride it.

Will give more info after more thorough testing.

Turner DHR, GT Dh-i

[Mar 16, 2007]
Pedal Shop

OVERALL
Strength:

1.5 headset = tuff stuff, great frame layout (as far as sitting on it and riding it). I have watched our shop riders take HUGE!!! drops and the bike lands like it's nothing. We're the ones posted on the TBC gallery (the VA boys: Looney, Kirly and Mackay. None of the frames we have sold have had any problems.

2006 = no front D set up but many install one with a cheater braze-on. the 2007 now has the braze-on for the front D. paint sucks on the black and white model, blue holds up much better.

I hope 1.5 head tube design sticks around. Headset are hard to come by. The cable routing is a little goofy. We have one built up with 203mm disc brakes, Zoke 888 fork, pretty pimped out and it's only 42lbs, that's pretty sick for a bike with that much travel. For short climbs, the bike actually climbs pretty well. Go big with the air, forget about it, the bike rules the air gods.

Look, we sell the bikes but we ride the bikes too. aka we ride what we sell. We could talk smack about all kinds of things but you can't talk smack about TBC. So what about the crappy paint, the front D deal-e-o on the 2006 (who cares, there's ways around it). These puppies rock.

Stop by the shop, take our shop demo for a ride.

Santa Crus VP Free and V10

[Aug 05, 2006]
Loïc Claret

OVERALL
Strength:

This bike is very cool, there is some settings to choose the bottom bracket height, seat and direction angle, an other setting which let you choose between 2 shock travel .

One thing wich is very crazy is that you can use differents eye to eye sized shock on this bike !

what I also like on his construction, its the shock position, wich protect him from mud projection ! and i think its pleasant ! the shock system is simple and works well !

Concerning his behaviour its a downhiller ! very stable and in the same time, easy to handle !

I ride downhill tracks and freeride single tracks, and in the 2 cases this bike is very easy at ease !

its a reassuring bike, very stiff not very heavy !

it's my first downhill bike, the only problems was the equipement, because it needs a 1.5 head set, a 83mm bottom bracket and a 150*12 Rear hub, it was hard to find the bottom bracket !

may be the paint is a bit frail. if you are not very maniac.

Well, in accordance with the equipment you put on it, it can be a great racer as a good freerider !

its geometry make him a playful bike !very easy ton handle on the air or riding single tracks !

I like this kind of bikes, easy system, easy to look after .
and very rare ! even if it looks like Devinci its a bit better !

Devinci Wilson.
Orange 224.

[Sep 13, 2006]
crankburger jinkinz

OVERALL
Strength:

stable, options, company backup, versatile, more affordable than the boutique's

a little heavy?

cool bike, cool company, support the small company's that love to ride and ride to live.

get it, if you like trying different settings, want to go fast, go big.

if pushed this frame can hold its own to most other bikes.

dhr, highline, heckler, vpfree, demo 8, demo 9, shocker

[Jan 16, 2008]
Ramon Ramirez

OVERALL
Strength:

strong, stable, confident, easy to handle on earth and air. it's eats up everything on his way, sensitive enough for DH races and burly strong for FR.

maybe weight (but just a little over the average)

go buy some now.
it is one of the best DH-FR bikes on the market. TBC will support you 100%. excelent geometry. I have done 6 meters drops and 10-12 meters jumps and you wont feel nothing on landing. If you want a bike that exceed on DH and FR it is the one. it pedals very well.
check out pinkbike, venezuela, look for Ramonaish albums (Ramonimal nickname).
This bikes has not limits.

devinci olli, vp-free

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.