Transition Bikes Blindside Downhill Full Suspension

We call the Blindside a Big All Mountain bike designed to be a versatile big travel bike. With a front derailleur setup to get you to the summit and up to 190mm of adjustable rear travel so you can take on any downhill. The Blindside's versatility is quite surprising as the bike can pedal extremely well, is nimble on singletrack and jumps and can eat up rough DH style trails. The suspension utilizes a large 2.75" stroke shock for low leverage and features a slightly progressive leverage rate curve that gives excellent consistent leverage throughout the travel allowing the natural progressiveness of the shock to ramp up perfectly. The frames features our own custom formed tubeset with internal gussets and a slimmed down rear triangle with internal cable routing for a clean look.

[Jan 24, 2013]
rideut

OVERALL
Strength:

142x12 rear end stiffness
Climbs very well w/2x10 set up

I didn't get one sooner!

This review is for the 2012 version w/142x12 rear, 2x10 drivetrain, &180/190 adjustable travel. Stock set up.
This is the most underrated bike in TBC's line up IMO. After one summer of use it is the only bike I ride/need (sold the others). I use it for xc/am & dh/fr. The bike begs to be jumped and is very balanced in the air. I know a lot of people say things like this but the bike has made me a better rider. I was immediately comfortable the first time I threw my leg over. TR has labeled bike "big all mountain" and they could not be more right. I thought to get a lighter set of wheels for xc/am but that has not been necessary.
Drops, jumps, rough stuff, cornering, manuals, climbing - does it all - very well I might add.
I am 6' 2" and the large fits perfect.

[Mar 02, 2012]
Zuk

OVERALL
Strength:

Solid Suspension, smooth, awesome geo, strong welds, versatile!

N/A

This bike is super versatile meaning it is excellent for anyone who is interested in doing countless laps in the bikepark to the gnarliest worldcup tracks. This bike pedals like a dream on the trails, and its geometry feels great. Although this bike is mainly aimed at the ride-it-all freerider it is still excellent to race on and win! The only downside of my blindside is the weight but with the right parts I'm sure you can get one under 35 lbs. If I were to buy another bike I would probably buy another Blindside and yes I would recommend this bike to a friend.

Kona stinky, stab, Transition Bottlerocket, double, Morowood

[Mar 22, 2011]
huh?

OVERALL
Strength:

Really, really fun bike. Can be built to serve very different ideas of what this bike can/should be. Should state that this is the new version for 2010-2011 (V4?)

Hmm. None, really. Frame not chased or faced, so burrs on rear cable route blew threw housing after a couple rides and had to replace. Paint sux my bawls thru my drawers. Heard they're having some problems getting large frames to people.

I find it kind of funny, but originally, I fell for Transition's marketing of this as 'big all-mountain.' Now the website says something like, 'while not really an all-mountain bike..' Don't really care about weight, and it dooo climb fairly well fer what it is, so not too pissed. But, she-it, make yer mind up.

Really do like the bike, and functions really well w/a hammerschmidt. Light, strong wheelset, dissent 2.3 tubeless, and bike's roughly 35 lbs. A couple more component changes and it'll weight 33-34. Super fun, pops crazy, wicked balance and really stable in the air. Climbs better than it should, especially in the 6.5" travel position. Of course, there's some flex in the rear, but this isn't an air-sprung 5" bike. Just tune the RC4 and you can figure out some cool tricks with the low speed compression.

Should also say that I'm tall & skinny (160lbs), ride the large frame, and feel that I can slap this bike around on lighter components without effing myself up and blowing thru replacement parts. We'll see how long this optimism lasts..

Dunno. I really have a lot of good things to say about the bike. If you want a big, stable, long-travel, coil-sprung bike that can suit your moods, and you don't expect to go hammer 40 miles a day on it, but throw the occasional 20 mile all-mountain day, this may be your ticket.

I would probably give it 4.5 chilis on both, but a 4 and a 5 should suffice. 8-9 out of 10.

None really. 2005 Coiler, 2008 Slayer SS. These bikes should be similar, but the blindside does everything its own way.

[Nov 24, 2010]
Vic690

OVERALL
Strength:

Great handling and fun bike, i suggest to buy it with a high-end shock (rc4, elka, db) as it's very sensitive to different settings.
It's not a "eat it all" downhill machine, but if you're looking for a fun and playful bike, this is your choice.
It can change like a chamaleon, depending on how you assemble it, or on how you set it.

My version (V3) is no longer into production.

Coming from a Bottlerocket i was at the beginning skeptical about a long travel (200 mm) fr bike.
First ride was not so happy, too plushness and lack of reactivity, thought that it was not the rig for me.
I started to work on shox adjustements, and find out my right spring rate (500 lbs, i'm 74 kgs); from then my world has changed upside-down.
My Blindside has become super fun and fast cornering, it takes you out from turns with light-speed and surprisingly rectiveness.
Jumps are no problems, it's well balanced and allows you to push the envelope.
200 mm travel forgives mistakes and save your health :) .. but is still super fun and reactive.
Definitely MY RIG ... !!!

Kona Stinky - Transition Bottlerocket

[Mar 03, 2010]
Anonymous

OVERALL
Strength:

This bike has the snap crackle and pop. Perfect for everything you throw at it except for XC.....not gonna work LOL.

I took care of the weakness....I bought the floating brake...and vwalla!

You should buy it! This bike is great for all kinds of riding. Built up the way that you want will still cost you a pretty penny like some other brands out there. But right out of the box is sick. I was able to build it up slowly to get it where I wanted it without braking my bank account at one time. You can pick one of these up for half the price as others....and it will stand up to all of them out there hands down. Catch me at Sea Otter this year when I'm standing on the podium with my swim trunks and my flippy floppys....thanks to my blindside :-)

Kona stinky, kona stab, Transition dirtbag, Demo 8.

[Feb 28, 2010]
navypaul

OVERALL
Strength:

so far everything
the blindside is a strong bike duilt for abuse and the ham fisted, it corners really well and is very confidence inspiring. it is very predictable in the air and quite chuckable despite its weight. it looks good too.

poor paint finish

a good solid bike for all freeriders and DH ers excellent value for money will last a lifetime as transition do a lifetime crash replacement. awsome

giant faith, demo 8, commencal supreme, IH yakuza,

[Jan 02, 2010]
darkness777

OVERALL
Strength:

great for riding pretty much any dh trail...havent ridden anything with big drops but cant wait to find some and try it. so far its astrong frame and great components, and setup... i love this rig

not very pedalable...but its a dh bike so who expects to pedal it...

i would recommend this bike to anyone looking into a dh rig

none yet

[Sep 17, 2009]
ElVenezuelan

OVERALL
Strength:

Very nice jumper, the rear suspension feels bottomless great bike, short wheel base great for berms and cornering again feels best in the air.

in high speed turns their is a little of rear flex

Great bike for the price nothing, but nothing comes close for this price. The bikes feels good, in the jumps, drops or rock gardens.If you are looking at one of this, Get it you will not dissapointed.

Transition Preston, HAro Magnum

[Dec 06, 2008]
Da Peach

OVERALL
Strength:

Looks awesome

None yet. (Low bottom bracket?)

I tested Demo 7s and 8s a bunch, this has got the best bang for buck factor.

I've only had it a day so far, and taken it for one run, but this bike rails compared to my Kona. It's like riding a razor sharp lazy boy down a trail of buttered pillows. It's my first brand new bike, so it all feels awesome.

Kona Stab Garbanzo

[Jul 17, 2008]
don

OVERALL
Strength:

Bloody good value for money! Pedals well, corners like a dream, bit f a sleeper bike really. Not sure why people are saying they are heavy? Got mine down to 38lbs and I’m 195lbs. I would say it is actually very well built, it’s just simple. Buy one!

None yet! But I am going to go from a 500 to a 550lbs spring. Bear this in mind when you buy one.

I have a light,fast and soild down hill that did not brake the bank. infact due to the price i was able to spend more on better parts. I'm only a weekend smasher and to be honest i keep up with those on more well known brands.Oh it feels good in the air as well.

Giant team DH,Kona Stab,Giant glory,one of those Sunday things!

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.