Giant DH Team Downhill Full Suspension

[Jul 31, 2012]
giantdh

OVERALL
Strength:

low center of gravity. feels planted in corners. Giant used standard bearings so its easy to find bearings even though mine is about 8 years old. love the MX style swing arm! I get lost in my own world drooling over the linkage design.

pain to rebuild the bearings. The swinger is outdated and looses air even on fresh rebuild. i dont like the rear axle design. only good for riding down hill(wonder why...;).

Got it used for $800 in 2011. Had a 2002 Monster-t on it and felt like a beast. Super rare to find now. Friends who ride demo 9's made fun of it until i left them in my dust.

[May 14, 2008]
Adam Turner

OVERALL
Strength:

fast, low center of gravity, linkage, good cornering.

location of rear shock.

the linkage on this bike is really nifty, you could sink down 3 or 4 inches and not even be using an inch of suspension. the chainguide may look like a piece but it works. the shock placement is garbage, the shock collects more dirt than the rest of the bike, but all that means is your gonna have to do some scrubbing at the end of every day. i dont regret a single penny spent on this bike.

[Mar 22, 2004]
Dave

OVERALL
Strength:

8" of plush rising rate travel, Super Stiff rear end, has less bob then most XC bikes I have ridden, Low CG makes the bike rip in the corners

I hate the weight, its a little on the heavy side, but it only is such a big deal b/c I ride the bike as my XC bike. Stock lame, weak, loud chain guide. Chainline

This bike flat out rips. I have used the bike for everthing, XC, freeride, DH riding, street... It has worked well for every type of riding that I have tossed at it. Its not a weakness, but I dont like how much time I had to spend to get the right feel from the shock. I have played with the adjustments a lot to get rid of pedal bob, but still have that plush with the perfect ramp-up. But once you find the sweet spot, you will love it. The bike with my setup on it, sits a lower in its travle to bring down the BB height, and it makes the bike rip in the corners, its stays very stable, but it just makes me more confident in its abilities. I put a MRP world cup on it and it works fine, b/c the stock chain guide is lame and hella weak. And the chain line might bug some people, but its fine for me. The chain only rubs the guide in the biggest cog in the back, and I have yet to miss a shift or drop a chain.

I cant say how it will do on the race course yet due to this being the first season on the bike for me, but I have high hopes for the bike.

Bottom line is that the bike has stupid corner speed, will drop just about anything, is super plush, has almost no bob when the shock it setup right.

Just get it you know you want it.

AC1, Army, Dare

[Aug 30, 2005]
Brad Reece

OVERALL
Strength:

Weight - With the right spec, this dude can be set up very light.
Agility - The low center of gravity and race-bred geometry makes this bike very easy to handle both in the air and on the ground.
Fit and finish - This bike is luxury when it's all cleaned up. It can look really good with a few changes and I like that.

Low clearance - the already low slung bottom bracket combined with its unique linkage makes for a little less clearance (no less, however, when considering the chain ring though).
- Adjusting the rear suspension - It's really difficult to get in there and work on it if you don't have the remote system.
- The rear suspension linkage - Yet again, that linkage is a pain the but to take apart and work on. It's also very expensive to replace. You also have to check on it regularly to make certain that nothing has crept loose (very common problem it seems).
- Racer support - There aren't that many dealers in my area that have the parts for or know how to service this bike properly. They usually carry all the comfort bikes, but not full suss DH.
- The chain guide is dog $hit - Sorry, I tried not to hate on it for so long, but it looks like hell. It's also a pain in the ass to get another one because of mounting issues and chainline issues. Good luck there.

This rig is still the $hit!

I am adding another review because I have changed the bike somewhat and I have ridden and raced it quite a bit, too. I rode a lot of other race bikes and was disappointed with the sluggishness of my current set-ups (this and a Shockwave 9.5). I put on the smaller fork and a lot of lightweight parts and it took on a much more nimble feel as well as a more tricked out and exotic look. It now rides like a lot of those other bikes that I liked. Stoked.

I still think this bike is best on the race course and not so much in the free-riding arena. That's just my preference though. In any case, the Giant is an excellent pedaller when the suspension is tuned properly and it corners very well, too. I still give it thumbs up.

This bike, but with a Dorado (original set up), San Andreas, Shockwave 9.5, Iron Horse SGS and Sunday, Azonic Eliminator DH, Santa Cruz V10 and VP Free, Foes DHS Tube, Turner DHR

[Jun 10, 2005]
mark

OVERALL
Strength:

Pedals like a dream on all types of ground,very stable well balanced bike.Takes everything i can through at it and still wants more.Great design looks the biz

Chain guide a bit of a pain and noisey but who cares when the rest of the bike this good

Wow what a bike makes u faster and gives u so much confidence.Manitou swinger rear shock is awsome when setup right.This bike is built like a tank just point and pull the trigger.If u are looking for a downhill beast buy one

Giant ac1,kona stinky and gary fisher cake 2 dlx

[Jan 13, 2005]
Julian

OVERALL
Strength:

Very stable at medium to high speeds. Soaks up large hits very well, and just blows away my old bike when it comes to blasting through rock gardens.

Sluggish at low speeds. Bushings wear out too fast. HFX 9 brakes. Chain guide can be a hassle to straighten out even after lightly hitting a rock.

This bike excels at what it was built for(world cups and nationals). I ride a large and have problems with really tight switchbacks. The only modifications I am making to this bike are switching to a ti spring , upgrading to the Hayes El Camino's, and switch to lighter rims. I really could not be any happier with this bike. The only bikes I have to compare to, are my old dh team, a dh9 and an m1. The dh9 tracked a little better under braking, with the m1 being a little more agile in low speed situations. My old dh team was much more out of control then this bike, and the added stability of the 2004 dh team has helped me greatly. I would take this bike(especially with how it comes spec'd) any day over those other three.

Giant dh team (2000)

[Nov 13, 2004]
Brad Reece

OVERALL
Strength:

Highly stable at speed and when jumping; plush yet efficient rear suspension; eats up the big stuff no problem; very stout frame; comfortable cockpit.

somewhat heavy, difficult to wheely (relatively), sluggish handling at lower speeds.

I love this bike!!!

This bike immediately changed the way I rode downhill. I am used to riding lighter bikes with far less travel and heft, bikes that are much more agile and easy to flick around on the trail, but also way twitchyer. This thing is a completely different beast. Much of the more technical terrain that I had to spend more time negotiating became a non-issue. Moreover, making the transition to this type of bike instilled a great deal of confidence since every aspect of the courses I was riding became far less challenging and much more fun. Also, I have had no mechanical problems with this bike. I just take it out and go. That makes a day at the mountain so much better.

If you have the $5000+ to get one of these I would not advise against it unless you were getting it lieu of something more exotic like a Foes or something. If you're spending that much dough, then get something ludicrous. If you see one on eBay, however, and it looks clean and is in the $2000 range, then I would suggest finding the cash and placing a bid. You WILL be happy once you get rolling...promise! If you are not an avid downhiller or freerider, then I would highly advise against this bike because it's a real beast under any conditions other than the slopes. It's also a bit more race oriented versus freeride oriented. If you race, your game will improve if you don't already have a bike of this caliber.

Ride on!!!

Team Murray Peepee Dragon Whizzer, Mountain Cycle San Andreas, Azonic Eliminator, Kona Stinky, Ironhorse SGSTeam

[Dec 15, 2005]
Alex

OVERALL
Strength:

Very nice frame, low BB makes it corner very nice, my riding improved a lot after riding this bike, it is very stable at speeds although a longer wheel base wouldn't hurt, maybe because my frame is Small? the geometry is awesome and it pedals very well, I got used to the bike in less than 2 rides. Smooth and very quiet.

A few things to consider are the stock chain guard, it is garbage. It moves around when you hit stuff along the course, get an e-13 and your problems will be solved, some drilling might be involved. If you want to get the 2003 frame working on the shock is a bit of a hassle because you have to dismount it just to pump air on it, 2004 and after models have the reservoir on the frame so that was a big improvement. Lots of pivots and those require new bearings every 6 months, DU bushings too, but that is normal on a bike that is ridden hard.

This is a racing machine and it requires tender care after you ride it, but like everything else good maintenance is key, I really like the bike and if you are thinking about getting a DH bike this one should be on the top of your list.

V10, Norco DH

[Oct 18, 2004]
Garrett Bonds

OVERALL
Strength:

Good for dirt jumping, soaks up little bumps with ease, good for big drops, takes turns good

Weights a ton, hard to pedal uphill, pain to adjust the rear shock, very bottom pivot on rear always comes out even with threadlocker

It is a really good bike. But is really heavy and hard to pedal. I would recommend this bike for people who use the bike for just racing, not just for riding arond.

Specialized Big Hit DH

[Aug 21, 2004]
chronic rider

OVERALL
Strength:

very responsive and likes to get down and dirty

That manitou mrd-x works is the worst fork ever!!!
chain guide sucks too.

This bike is very fast once you get it dialed in and instill confidence in it. The four bar single pivot is a great design and tracks very vell thru rough or smooth terrain. I will ride Giant for years to come.

Turnerdhr, Rocky's, santa cruz, ect.

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.