Astrix Sports Havoc Downhill Full Suspension

• USER REVIEWS

[Nov 23, 2010]
    john420garvin

OVERALL
    Strength:

Looks absolutely Bulletproof. Will come back with more after I get some rides under my belt.

Too New To Rate

just bought this bike off Craigs in CO Springs so I haven't had saddle time yet but I felt compelled to come here to speak about Astrix Sports GREAT Customer Service. This bike had rear end damage to the rear wheel and the wheel seemed to be sitting in the drop outs weird with the rotor up against the caliper. Thought this is a tough bike and sure would be hard to get up and running. Long story short, the floater assembly was missing aluminum spacer for axel hole and previous owner didn't know it was missing. I was worried this was going to be an uphill battle but this is when the Great folks at Golden Bike Shop and Astrix Sports came together to handle the problem. I had dropped the bike at the shop just before last weekend and after a little research and 1 phone call Diane and Alex from Astrix coordinated a part drop off on Sunday and the shop was able to get me up and running before the end of that day! Meanwhile through the process i received 2 emails from Diane and a phone call from Alex keeping me informed of the progress and diagnosis of the issue. Absolutely outstanding Customer Service from both the shop (Thanks to the fine folks at Golden bike Shop!)and Astrix! I highly recommend any bike endeavorer you are on to be with either one of these establishments. now time to get some saddle time in so I can report back. On the ride home from the shop I will say I plowed over a curbed plater that had cantalope sized river rock and I could swear I didn't hit anything!;-) sorry City of Golden.

Santa Cruz Super 8, Uzzi, Ellsworth

[Sep 29, 2010]
    Pwshadow

OVERALL
    Strength:

Smooth bottomless travel. Soaks up everything.

Astrix customer support

My last bike was a Specialized Big Hit Spec. I used to have to make the shock so stiff it felt like a hard tail or I would bottom it out on little 5 foot drops. I road downhill trails on that thing and got used to being rattled and being in pain after a drop. I bought this whole bike used for 800 bucks and now I feel like no one can catch me. I feel invincible on this thing. I have yet to hit anything that this bike doesnt absorb. 9 inches in the back. And Im sick of seeing downhill bikes get bad marks for weight. Yeah this thing weighs a lot because it is overbuilt. Like a Downhill bike should be. My only concern is there is a little verticle play in the rear end due to two worn out bushings that Astrix won't sell me. I called and they said that some of their Havocs had a little play right out of the factory. I can tell where it is coming from. It is two little aluminum bushings. I have called them and emailed them several times asking to buy new bushings and no reply. I would give this bike 5 chilis if they would just get back to me.

[Sep 07, 2009]
    Anonymous

OVERALL
    Strength:

Floating brake, head angle, progressive rear travel, rear wheel path, chain line,

Heavy, difficult to flick bike in switch tight switch backs due to weight

This is a true downhill bike. The head angle is slack for high speed runs, suspension travels progressively so you cannot feel it bottom out at all, wide bottom bracket (100mm) creates good chain-line with rear cassette, floating brakes makes the bike stick to the ground in all types of terrain, and MotoLink suspension feels so much like the Schwinn Straight 8 and Yeti DH-9! The frame is built tough and the rear end has zero flex. It's quite heavy though at almost 13lb just for the frame. For the longest time I thought the Schwinn Straight 8 was the best with its Lawwill suspension, now I feel the astrix MotoLink is at the same level but definitely more ridgid. I rode this bike at Mammoth Mountain on all the Double Diamond trails and I felt like the trails were too easy for how the bike plowed through. No one caught up to me, but I sure caught up and passed many people. That's how well it performed and how confident I felt even in the loosest of conditions. Keep in mind this bike is heavy, so powerful 4 piston brakes are recommended to control it's weight on steep descends.

Schwinn Straight 8, Yeti DH-9

[Dec 22, 2008]
    crazyhavoc

OVERALL
    Strength:

Totally bombproof

None thus far other than it takes $$ to shed the weight but what bike doesn't?

Can you imagine a military hummer performing like a Corvette?
    The first time ride was as exciting as the last ride. The suspension is so smooth it goes unoticed. It climbs surprisingly well due to rear frame geometry. It can take anything you're willing to put yourself into...Bottom Line.

Closest comparison Canfield F1 Jedi

[Apr 30, 2007]
    kevin s

OVERALL
    Strength:

EVERYTHING.
    To quote my man up top there, this thing BULLDOZES through anything...... This bike has redefined my riding. It rides like its on rails down the gnarliest of conditions.... flows like water over BIG stuff..... yet I can huck it like a hardtail..... cornering??? SHHFFF, forget it...... it RAILS the tightest!

This bike is FAST, FAST, FAST and STABLE,STABLE,STABLE!
    Not too metion the sexiness of it..... I mean true craftsman designed and built this hog....
    Have you seen the dropouts?????

Oh, debating the upgraded floating brake kit? DON'T. Spend the cash, its worth it.
    A+++ across the boards in my book.

One and one only. The stays for the rear brake & rear derailer are mounted at the exact point of contact for dual crown forks to smash them...... not too bright there!

For the $6K it cost to put this bike together, it rides like it should..... LIKE A RHINO ON CRACK!

All of which starts with a platform worthy of WORLD class racing. These fellas have made a true downhill machine.

Saving Grams? Move on.
    Saving Money? Move on.
    Saving Up? Keep going, its worth it.

Brodie Diablo w/Shiver DC (not even close to the astrix ratings)
    Kona Coiler DeeLux (apples and oranges)(not to mention 20 pounds!)

[Jul 29, 2006]
    david allen

OVERALL
    Strength:

super stable at speed, rear suspension is super plush and progressive, handles its self well in the air, extemley nimble for a heavier bike.

tires can be tricky to fit right, get a 24" rear or play with the tire size and spring weight.

this is the fastest bike i have ever been on it floats over everything in its path, if your a real rider it can be pedaled up, cornering is easy the bike just goes where your looking. If you want to go fast its for you.

cannondale gemini, devinchi johnson, yeti asx, marin quake

[Jul 15, 2006]
    built4comfort

OVERALL
    Strength:

stiffness. suspension performance. handling

this is a great bike, if you are no willing to follow the crowd and get an iron horse i suggest one of these.
    fantastic value and build quality is right up there too.
    best handling bike i have ever ridden

dh team. BB7, sunday elite

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.