Klein 2001 Rascal Rigid Bike

[May 06, 2011]
Feral Druid

OVERALL
Strength:

Light

I did crack fram at seat post in 1991 fram was replaced and repainted.

I bought this bicycle new in 1989. I did crack the frame at the seat post in 1991 and it was replaced. I replaced the forks with rock shox RS-1's. This bick has rocking trail# 100 for 22 years. I did buy a Klein Montra Comp in 1997 but this Rascal is my the one I like best.

SlingShot Boom tube.

[Feb 10, 2007]
Myles Saffian

OVERALL
Strength:

Invisible Welds
Lightweight/Aluminum
Efficient
Internal Cable Routing

Like any other Klein, this bike is a hit! This frame is pre-Trek, for those that care. Either way, one can not go wrong with Klein. They are without question the most efficient frame geometry on the market. I couldn't be happier; this frame is light, efficient and a work of art! The best bike I have ever owned and ridden.

Klein Pulse II, Klein Attitude

[Feb 07, 2003]
Reed Weedakowski

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, light, light!!!! Paint is fantastic, better than modern 2003 paint. Welds are fantastic.

I bought this bike as a vintage ride worthy collectable. I have taken it out a few times and wow. Fast & light. Handles great. With no suspension you need to adjust your ride style but it is still mad fun! This is the type of bike that got us where we are today. I highly suggest you give it a try.

Klein Mantra Comp, Klein Pulse Pro, Klein Adept Pro, Klein Palomino Team.

[Nov 25, 2001]
Mike

OVERALL
Strength:

light weight; build quality

1" head tube (I'll explain later)

I actually have a 1994 or 1995 Rascal, but I still wanted to post a review. After having my last campus bike (I have a 1999 Gary Fisher Paragon at home) stolen I decided that I needed something less flashy (also a better lock), so I was looking for something used that was better than department-store grade to paint flat black (--> less flashy). I found a 'well-used' single-speed Rascal with terrible wheels and paint, but the price was right. So after a $140 mail order, a trip through the old parts box, and a few hours of 'body work' I now have a great commuter bike. This bike sees at least 80 km a week and is great. The internal cable routing can be a hassle to work on, but that's only if the bike is missing the internal cable guides. The Klein BB is still good after years of abuse. The frame itself is a thing of beauty: seamless with obvious attention to detail--the machined seat tube and specially manufactured chain stays for example. Anyone looking for a fast, stiff frame that can afford it should look into getting a Klein.

Real Bottom line: you get what you pay for when you pay the difference to get a Klein.

5 for value (you can't beat $100 even if it was just the frame)
4 overall (1" head tube makes a fork upgrade a pain, but I don't think the 1 1/8 was popular yet in 1994-5; internal cable routing)

Trek 820; Schwinn Moab

[Jul 22, 2003]
Mark

OVERALL
Strength:

Extremely Nimble, Light, Well Balanced, Durable, Great Climber, its a singletrack god!

I broke the original seat after 9 years. The decals fell off in the first week of ownership.

This is a fabulous bike. I have a 1990 Rascal in the magenta (pink) black fade. I have owned it since new. I was very reluctant to replace it as my "A" bike, but when I moved to the West Coast, the terrain here (wide open firetrails, long washboardy downhills at breakneck speed) just doesn't play to the bike's strengths. If you do a lot of single track, log jumping, rock bumpin', this is the bike for you. I can easily steer around obstacles that I would have to crash over (or into) on my Sobo (which itself is no slouch in the handling dept.) The Rascal is like an extension of my feet.

That being said, I ride it less and less, becuase the rigid frame will rattle your eyes and teeth out on the long downhills out here in the West. I didn't want to add a fork because the geometry and balance is so outstanding that I didn't want to upset it by hanging a heavy shock off the front. In New England I would snake down steep, muddy, single track with aplomb (no shock fork needed - perhaps even a negative at the slower speeds you ride back there - instead of compressing and "sticking" to encourage an endo, the rigid fork bounces off of or over those obstacles - clearing a 20" log is a piece of cake on this bike but much more of an adventure on the Voodoo). Out here the shocks and slightly more stable Sobo gives me more confidence at the breakneck speeds you see on the long downhills.

If I still lived back east, I would be riding this everyday. If your riding is mostly singletrack, you would be hard pressed to find a better modern bike than the Rascal.

2000 Voodoo Sobo

[Nov 29, 2002]
Alan

OVERALL
Strength:

Frame design
Paint
Stiffness

Stiffness

Mine is a 1990.
Rascals were only made 1900-1993. (Mike below has an older bike than he thinks he has)
I've ridden and raced this bike all over the country from W. Va to Cal. and it never failed me. Though I have newer bikes I've always kept the Rascal around.

Too many to list

[Nov 29, 2002]
Al

Me again.
Correction: Rascals were made 1990-1993.

Klein paint is the best I've seen on a production bike. The handling is on the quick side which makes the bike great in the singletrack.
The stiffness is a plus and a minus. Plus because it climbs like a mountain goat and minus because it's harsh. With a suspension post it's not a problem.

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.