GT 2000 Palomar Rigid Bike

mountain bike, non-suspension, Mountain Mix components, GT fork

[Apr 08, 2019]
GT—Palomar

OVERALL
Strength:

I picked my GT Palomar up off of Craigslist about 10 years ago for $75. At nearly 20 years old, everything on it is still stock (aside from tires/tubes/brake pads) i give it regular maintenance, and in return, she's always ready to ride. Obviously this heavy chunk of iron isn't for everyone, there's many 'modern' MTB's that weigh far less and have some great features.. but after pedaling up and down some trails for an hour or two on some good old fashioned American Steel — you've gotten a real workout, and I wouldn't give it up for anything

Most people would say weight, but I call that a strength

Price Paid:
Purchased:
Used
Model Year:
2000
[Mar 10, 2002]
Nick Fisher

OVERALL
Strength:

Strong steel frame, cheap, upgradeable, looks

Grip shifters, only a 7-speed, tires not for serious trail riding, weak wheels

I bought this bike to help me train for dirtbike racing. I wanted a cheap bike so if I never rode it I wasn't out a ton of $. After riding on paved bike trails(booring), I started to upgrade. Everything I added to the bike just made it better. Frame rides excelent, shifts great even with low end components, and it was a good value. I think after all of the upgrades listed above, I had less than $500 in the whole bike. After I learned that GT went belly up, I sold it to a friend to use as a college commuter bike.
Overall, buy the bike or one of the GT's along the same line if you are interested in getting into mtbs but don't want to spend the major $. You will want to eventually upgrade, but that is half of the fun.

none-first bike

[Oct 30, 2001]
Stephen Hulley

OVERALL
Strength:

Not bad quick releases.
Lasted well.

Weighs more than my car
Sank when we threw it in a river (really)
No end of problems
So bad I actually feel sorry for it now

Get a Raleigh. You will get a much more reliable bike for your money.
By the way, I gave it to my brother, I'm now riding a Kona Hahanna which comes highly recommended.

Raleigh Scorpion

[Aug 18, 2006]
justin manning

OVERALL
Strength:

I've owned everything from a Trek Y22, to a Giant iguana and I continue to be impressed with this "cheap" bike. Some people bag on the drive train, but mine has four digits worth of miles on it and it still works great. Its called "maintenance"

Maybe a little heavy, but I paid $270.00 for the bike in 2000. What do you expect at that price.

Don't listen to the weeney heads that complain about this bike, it was and is a great bike for what was paid for it. Those guys don't realize this bike wasn't made for big drops and serious down hilling. These guys are the kind that probably got the bike for free from there mamas and don't appreciate anything. If you come across one and don't have much money, it is a sure bet.

Nothing compared in those days at that price range.

[Aug 10, 2001]
Matrix

OVERALL
Strength:

Solid frame

Frame is 100% Hi-tensile steel= HEAVY & rusting a little.it's a 1993 {coulda been left outside}

Got this frame & it's not bad for a 100% hi-tensile Steel..I think it will be a smoother ride than my Aluminum slalom frame but nothing else!...Maybe it'll rust to death? Oh well..aluminum dents easy.but doesn't rust !...alway's a tradeoff ! ...GT is a great company, so i'll have faith in the frame !..it's still heavy

Azonic DS-1 --Bump apBlaster --Mongoose Zero-G---Litespeed Unicoi --

[Jan 20, 2001]
Pete Cihelka

OVERALL
Strength:

None after 2 and a half months on the thing.

Everything is broken

Have had it 2 and a half months now. Bottom bracket knocks like crazy, the chain won't stay on the damn thing. I clean it and adjust on my stand after every ride and it just keeps failing. Great grocery getter, but get off the pavement and you will be disappointed. GT customer service sucks too. Haven't heard a word from them after three phone calls and five e-mails. The LBS mechanics, Lee's in Hollywood, FL., just shrug their shoulders and say, "I dunno." when I bring the bike in. No more GT, now looking at Kona. Whatever happened to rigid rides?

GT Outpost, ridden friends' $$$ bikes. But Ilike rigid.

[Jun 05, 2001]
Mark Henkelman

OVERALL
Strength:

Cheap, GT name, Savage paint job, rapid fire did i mention cheap?

little heavy, gears not quite smooth yet (really minor problem)

Great bike for the price (i can't afford a bike over $400) nice paint job, good name, highly recommend it for a first bike, Alter Ego sports great store to (yes this is a shameless plug) got one year free sevice. Buy this bike if you aren't sure what bikes are good and your just starting out.

Nakamura Profile, some friends bikes in similar $ range

[Apr 21, 2001]
Jonathan George

OVERALL
Strength:

Decent frame, price, great shifting. i ride almost everyday and the bike is still almost new, except for some scratches.

I have to oil the parts almost every ride, in fear of parts rusting.

Great bike for the price and the gt name. overall for the biker that bikes for the fun of biking

Giant-rock, giant-rincon, huffy-challenger(what a cheap bike)

[Nov 26, 2000]
Peter Cihelka

OVERALL

Down belw you'll see my initial review on the Palomar. I harp on the Acera set up for ghost shifting, skipping, etc. Turns out the shop didn't swap the cable housing when I opted for Rapidfire over the stock Sram gripshifts. I took it back, they hooked me up and now I'm passing full suspension rigs at Oleta State Park (if you're familiar with it). The drive train is clangy and the chain seems like it's continually on the verge of falling off, but the shifting is nice albeit not perfect. But again, the bike cost me $219.00 so how can I complain?

[Nov 21, 2000]
Peter Cihelka

OVERALL
Strength:

One word, RIGID! Excellent frame. Maxxis grip well on majority of surfaces. Very clean design. Al for $219

One word, ACERA! Didn't like SRAM grip shifts. O.K, a bit on the heavy side, but it cost $219.

Rigid, fantastic frame for the bucks. Great platform for quick acceleration and handling through technical terrain. Switching over to Rapidfire helped me get through the tougher stuff. Climbs well too and the stock Maxxis help with that aspect. Probably won't go with front suspension as I like a ride where you really have to think about the line you're riding. Pro Max brakes do a fine job for the money. As far as the cheap rims and pedals some people take issue with, look how much the thing cost. The only thing I'm not pleased with is the drive train. The Acera set up began ghost shifting, skipping and the chain married the front deraileur after approximately 10 minutes of riding.
It's another fine GT product otherwise. Had my Outpost for 12 years and abused it for 12 years in California, the DC area, Washinton state, British Columbia, Oregon and finally down here in stinky Miami. Aside for rims, tires and a seat a moving company destroyed, all was still stock. EVEN the chain was still stock when I moved here. Can't quite explain that. But the bike finally gave out after 8 months of riding Oleta and Quiet Waters Parks down here. I think it just hated Miami as much as I do and decided to retire. The whole point being, GT makes (I hope they still do) a durable, well designed product at a price even a father of two-year-old twins can afford. I give four flamin' whatevers overall. (Acera stuff really bugs me) and five of the funny looking things for value.

1988 (yeah, 88) Outpost. Have ridden friends $$$ bikes. Hardtail and full-suspension Kleins, Cannondales, etc.

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.