Orange 1999 MTB EVO2 Hardtail Bike

ORANGE MTB EVO2

[Oct 29, 2001]
Ross

OVERALL
Strength:

Great bike to almost go anywhere with. Bomb proof!

Standard components could be better. VERY rigid alu frame.

I used this bike on my daily commute to work (16 miles) for the last 18 months and it's never let me down. I've probably done over 3000 road miles and 500 off road miles in this time. I'm now using it completely off road and it's even better. If I'd known how crap the headset/hubs and bottom bracket had been I'd have upgraded them with the transmission when I bought the bike. I replaced them all after 3 months. Overall the bike is great to ride on most trails and tracks although you know your on an alu bike at the end of the day! Great for long uphill slogs. If you've set the bike up properly you hardly need to get out of the saddle.

Univega Alumax

[Apr 22, 2001]
Allan Burns

OVERALL
Strength:

Light and nippy

Scared th s**t out of me on downhill cornering/braking as tended to weave - This may be because I'm heavy (15 Stone) and/or first outing on front suspension. I'm also annoyed that the chain managed to get dragged accross the tube giving it a deep scratch.

Never regretted buying this bike. Great value for money (£700 UK).

[Jul 11, 2000]
Taf

OVERALL
Strength:

2000 Limited Editon. Good quality frame...should last many upgrades. Excellent ride

Pedals...throw them away and get some proper ones.
Ritchy huhs and headset.
Stock saddle (but arn't they always)...replaced after a few months with a Flite Gel
Frame finish

Its a great bike. You can do anything, go anywhere on it. The frame is built to last, except on my unpainted aluminium version every little sctratch shows up on the clear varnish

I am a disapointed with the ritchy components. Although the hubs are still going they sound as rough as hell with seals as useless as a chocolate teapot. Same goes for the headset...lower race and bearings were pitted after a few months of our balmy UK weather. (think I may get a WTB momentum)

Overall this is a bike with "fun"

Marins, specializeds etc Looked at everything in the same price range. Ended up with the Orange mainly because of the frame reputation

[Jul 02, 2000]
frog

OVERALL
Strength:

2000 MODEL LTD. EDITION - Frame, handling, ride, parts, looks nice, upgrade options from the factory.

crap pedals, indifferent tyres and saddle -

The frame is chunky aluminium with a fat downtube and reasurringly solid junctions at the machined headtube and BB, big stays, top tube routed cables and all the guides and bosses for Discs etc. It's pretty light too.

So far I've ridden this bike on stuff from hardpack to loose stony downhills, woodland singletrack and sandy rocky paths and it's been great (full on mud testing in Northumberland next week). Good solid feel without seeming too rigid and a nice size for chucking around. The risers and stem size help this too and if you drop the seat it has a great BMXey feel for messing about or techncial stuff.

I would advise spending a bit more and upgrading from the Deore spec to the LX spec if you can as you'll get a better fork -Manitou SX - as well as the groupset. I asked for the fork to be swapped to the 4" LT version (which cost nothing) and it still handles really well. I also got Hope hubs fitted so I can fit discs when I have the cash. Although it's not advertised, Orange will also supply the frame in any of their standard colours, not just the blue, ask the shop to give them a call.

Basically a great handling, tough, all-round mountainbike for XC or just hacking about the trails.

(demoed b4 buying this) Marin Quake 7, Indian Fire trail, Spec. R'hopper, (owned) Fisher HooKoo(1988) Bridgestone MB3, Orange C16R

[Jun 28, 2000]
Nobby Clark

OVERALL
Strength:

Very light and handles beautifully. So easy to climb with. Out of the box spec is good.

19-inch frame is too small - my fault I should have gone for a 21-incher as I'm 6'4.

The bike cost about 900 quid in the UK ($1500-ish). I am now contemplating spending 500 quid for new cranks, wheels and brakes. I wouldn't do that if I didn't think the frame and the rest of the bike was worth it... People outside the UK don't know what they are missing.

Diamondback, Raleigh equivalents.

[Jan 28, 2001]
edward pulfer
Downhiller

OVERALL
Strength:

great bike easy riding and great frame really light bike glad i bought it

the seat is crap and the brakes and tyres arnt great either

brilliant bike for people my age 14 or older definately think about this bike over most at this price range but definately change brakes and drive chain to LX.
have great rides on this bike.
ED

trek 7000,specialized rockhopper a1 fs pro and kona roast

[Jan 30, 2001]
Chris Stalker

OVERALL
Strength:

Frame. Excellent craftmanship and welding. Huge chunky tubing instills cofidence when throwing it round.
Looks fantastic with Z3s strapped to it.

Seat, wheels and tyres. Pedals are OK. Forks as standard are naff! (Looks as standard are ntohing to write home about either)

I put the Marzocchis on because I new that the standard forks were crap. I love the plushness of the Z3s. However they do take the energy out of climbing. (might be my set up) The low speed handling is at present a bit iffy but that is probably down to my set up again. (any tips anyone)

I am 13.5st (~186lbs). 6'0" and 21yrs. I chose a 19" frame and it is perfect. The size is good for cross country riding and when its time for playing, drop the seat and it could almost be a slalom bike.

I havent really tested the bike too hard yet, i will update later. I think that i will probably trash the wheels though as they are quite cheep.

I have never had suspension before so it is taking some getting used to. I need to set the forks up a bit better. i think the springs are too sort. If you are thinking of getting this bike then I would strongly recomend a fork upgrade. the standard forks not only look naff but perform equally badly (apparently.)

Also act now. If you ask Morgans of newport (Nr B'ham) they will do you a good deal cos the bike is soon to change.) I got mine (all be it the stadard bike) for 645 (pounds) with Marzocchi Z3s worth 200 and pedals, new tyres and shoes. Not bad.

As for you Americans, tough luck. I am afraid you wont be able to get one. Orange policy is not to export. they aim to give as much after sale support as they can. Something they feel they cant do abroad just yet. However if you want to drool. www.orangebikes.co.uk

Giant CFM 4, Specialized Rockhopper Pro.

[May 31, 2004]
Michael Smith

OVERALL
Strength:

fast precise quick fun extreme. Very good Hartail for fast XC. light components and a good race bike

I snapped it

Very good if you want a hardtail fast run bike this is it, hopefully the Evo 4 will carry on with the style. Wish I still had it without the crack in the frame (warrenty claim pending) would build up as a race runner

[Sep 22, 1999]
TROY
Cross-Country Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

LIGHT 3.5IBS FRAME/22-23IBS BIKE
STRONG N PRECISE HANDLING COMPARABLE 2 BIKES THAT COST TWICE MORE
LOOKS GREAT

STICKER DECALS N ITS ONLY AVAILABLE IN UK. 2 BAD THE GUYS IN USA CAN'T HAVE ONE UNLESS U IMPORT

AN AMAZING BIKE THAT LOOKS 2 GOOD 2 B TRUE(CHECK OUT THE SEXY CHAINSTAYS N CHUNKY DOWNTUBE WITH EXCELLENT GUSSETING). SUPERB HANDLING THAT WILL GIVE LEADING BRANDS A RUN 4 THEIR MONEY. U GUYS IN THE US MUST TRY ONE.

TREK 4500
CANNONDALE F2000SX/1000SL
MARIN NAIL TRAIL
ATTITUDE RACE

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.