Motiv 2001 Rockpoint Hardtail Bike

[Nov 22, 2018]
stickerkar83

OVERALL
Strength:

I got this bike new as a Christmas present when I was 12, and just now retired it after all these years! Great first 'real' bike, loved the wide handlebars & gearing for climbing hills. The suspension was perfect, never once had an issue with the front forks leaking or bottoming out, rear suspension was very robust. I did replace the front wheel a few times, but the rear only once (due to hitting curbs wrong or crashing). Only shifter problem I had was after hitting a tree with the right handlebar, replaced the selector but otherwise every other shifting part is still original. I'll miss that thing, never seen anything like it since.

Weight is a definite issue on the bike, especially if you're lifting it onto roof racks or up apartment stairs everyday. The secure feeling you get from the extra-wide handlebars also makes for extra-wide turns, but the bike still hustled & kept up with far more expensive models on trails. I found the seat post way too short (I'm 6'1") but putting in a longer one made the frame eerily creak on jumps. Speaking of, the whole rear suspension set-up always made noise whenever it moved, quite a lot towards the end, but it's all still original after all my years on trails by the river.

Price Paid:
Model Year:
2001
[Jul 06, 2012]
Weekend warrior2

OVERALL
Strength:

I have owned several Mountain bikes in my life, from Diamond Back, Schwinn, to Mantis Raptor and this has been the best Mountain Bike ever. I also get people complementing me on the way it looks all the time.

N/A

Best Ever

[May 05, 2011]
larock

OVERALL
Strength:

Fast,pretty smooth ride.

Clicks when pedaling.Good brakes.

So I bought this bike from a crackhead last night for 20 dollars.It rides pretty well although it takes wide turns cause I AM 6'1 230 pounds. Bike is in pretty good shape,say it has to be 10 years old. Bike is fast once you get goin,but a little hard to pedal at times..Maybe I'm a little out of shape.great deal for 20 bucks!

Bmx as a kid.

[Sep 23, 2009]
frdpd

OVERALL
Strength:

Fast, fun, durable, stable. One of the best bikes I've ever had. The paintjob is so flashy & cool looking.
I actually crashed it going very fast, and got flipped off it. I feel like it could have very easily been disasterous on another bike, but I just flew through the air and landed on my feet, standing, & then touched the ground, with only a small scrape on my knee. I thought I woiuld be able to turn quickly to get onto the sidewalk, but the bike feels unstable with fast turns & I ended up running right in to the curb. This bike is SO much fun to ride, & the weight is not all that bad, when riding. I do not even notice it much when climbing hills. The handle-bars are great for hill climbing.

Is it just me? Not sure, but the turning seems to be very broad. I have to slow down a lot if I need to make a sharp turn, more than normal, or so it seems to me, although, it could be that I'm just heavier 225 lbs than I used to be w/ my other bikes. It makes a click noise every rotation. I had to replace my rear wheel, then had to replace the "cassette", or free wheel, had to replace the pedals. The bike was wheels were broken when I bought the bike, & that is why I got such a great deal. I LOVE THIS BIKE!

buy it

[Aug 04, 2006]
Jamie

OVERALL
Strength:

Very durable. Rides easy. Handles really good, it stays where you put it!

A little on the heavy side. Kind of hard to get on if you are short (like me - 5 foot).
A little on the expensive side if bought brand new.

My husband has owned his bike for more than 6 years and it is still in excellent condition. We both use it all the time. My little sister loves to ride it here and there. It's great for "off-roading" (especially in mud and water), if you just want to go riding on the street, or if you need to go somewhere. We have never replaced any parts. So I think for the money spent on it, it is very worth it.

[Mar 07, 2003]
Chris H

OVERALL
Strength:

Stiff frame and shock, everything except rims can take some abuse.

componits, weight.

I am just borrowing this bike from my little brother while mine is in the shop. Its extreemly heavy, so you will have to do some work to get it up the hill. Its actually alot more fun on the downhill than my $1000 hardtail. (note: the hardtail wasnt designed to be a downhill bike) Ive done some pretty big jumps around campus (stairs) The biggest on i have done is 10 steps, so its a pretty sturdy frame. Due to the weight and center of gravity on the bike you have to pay attention to making sure you are set up perfectly for the jump otherwise you will go sideways or worse. Its a pretty good bike to "free ride" on if you dont want to spend alot of money.

real bikes

[Feb 04, 2003]
Nathan
Downhiller

OVERALL
Strength:

farly solid, farly good breaks, handles down hill trails that are tuff on other bikes

dirt cheap parts rust way to easy, had to buy new sprokets after 1 day of riding, seat post is to short for a tall person like me have some trouble with the shifters, the roll pin keeping the handel bar and weel alighned has fallen out 6 times i have to keep extras in my back pack

good bike for the price i payed but the parts need to be stainless steel. it can handel some fairly harsh down hill conditions

huffy

[Mar 20, 2003]
chris donovan
Downhiller

OVERALL
Strength:

Strong durable-takes general abuse well

heavy--dont try carring it too far

my main complaint is i was going down my ususal 1-2 downhill i do quite often when the rear gear assembly broke---all the ballbaring crushed and the whole thing fell apart---the compony was quick with a replacement part and appoligisedf for any harm that came too me

great bike----lasted me longer than my gary fisher takes abuse well and backed by a great company

gary fisher mt tam

[Jul 21, 2003]
Joe

OVERALL
Strength:

Durable frame (heavy as can be though).

hrm, where to start. Shimano equiped, but with the cheapest shimano components available... Geometry sux, shocks are VERY short travel. Forks are very heavy (6+lbs). Stock rims are single walled and do not hold true. Seat post is short... Bearings are not sealed, BB is not sealed, cranks strip easy, pedals suck. Pretty much the whole bike....

This is not a real mountain bike. Yeah, it may have two wheels, gears, etc., but it is junk. I wouldn't recommend this bike to anyone for any type of off road use. I rode one for about a year and a half. Initially I was "pleased" with the $100.00 I spent and how good of a deal I got and how, "for the price you can't beat it"... However, that was due more to ignorance than anything. So many parts on this bike broke and had to be replaced. I know that Motiv will send out new parts, no questions asked, however, the new parts they send are still the same crappy parts that broke the first time. So you either spend several days at a time waiting for more crappy parts, or go ahead and upgrade. At first, I waited, after I got sick of that, I started upgrading. In the end, I spent over $400.00 upgrading parts on that beast, bringing my total cost of the bike to roughly $500.00! And the bottom line is that the bike was still crap. Yeah, it was crap with nice parts, but still crap.

Since then, I've purchased a Gary Fisher Tassajara, and cannot believe the difference. It is absolutely amazing how much better my Tass handles and rides than the Motiv. It's truly a night to day comparison.

So, bottom line, don't buy this bike if you want a mountain bike. Save your money and buy an entry-level bike AT A BIKE SHOP. You will be MUCH happier.

[Jun 16, 2001]
stefen

OVERALL
Strength:

i'm posting on a MOTIV STONEGRINDER. cheap basic componets,to make the bike cheep to buy.

HEAVY!!!!, no quick realease on back rim

honestly the bike has been good for riding back and forth to work but don't really want to take on trail because its so heavy. i didn't realize it was so heavy untill i tried a TREK 4500, which is the bike i'm going to get. but, if you want a basic bike at a cheap price, you cant beat a MOTIV. COSTCO usually has a good selection on them if you want one.

OVERALL RATING : 2, only because its heavy and if you want to seriously go on trails with it you'll HAVE to do some work to it to go on the trails

first bike

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.