Litespeed 2000 Toccoa Hardtail Bike

mountain bike, front suspension, Shimano XTR components, Rock Shox Sid SL, 3.15" travel fork

[Jan 17, 2009]
gilabear

OVERALL
Strength:

I wanted a titanium travel bike so I decided to build one myself. I found this Toccoa for sale here on MTBR in 2006, had the seller send it to Bilenkey Cycle Works for a S & S coupling retrofit. Killer bike! I also ride a Merlin Ti mtn bike which I always thought was the best riding bike ever, but the Toccoa beats it. On my first ride, it surprised me. It climbs like a goat! It descends like a rocket on rails.
It seems to float over technical sections like magic. I really like this bike. Being an offroad travel bike, I've now ridden this bike to the USA, Scotland, Venezuela, and ever did an illegal crossing into Brazil on it. Though a bit long in the tooth, its well on its way to racking up many adventures.

Probably the V-brakes, but Litespeed has the disc adapter tab that keep meaning to order to do a brake upgrade. V-brakes are fine for me though, probably why I haven't made the leap to discs.

Buying a used Ti bike can be a good investment and a lot of fun!

My Merlin mountain bike.

[Mar 20, 2001]
Amy

OVERALL
Strength:

Quick handling, excellent ti dampening but not sloppy, beautiful craftsmanship

Cost, but you get what you pay for!

THE BIKE: Incredible machine. First major use was 10 days in Moab where I road 2 levels up from previous trips. Once I got used to the brakes (first time for V-brakes for me) and gained confidence in the handling I was in love. Can't say enough about Marzocchi fork. Heavier than most and not cheap but a dream (I'll never have a Rock Shox again!).

Initially I had it set up with GripShift having used it on my mountain tandem and liked it. Totally NOT instinctual for a single although I know others who swear buy it. They brake levers were mushy and the shifters felt like plastic that would break at any moment. I had to get a quick change to XT before heading to Utah. Thanks to my hubby Robin for the mechanical support!

After Moab back in the muddy and rooty Pacific Northwest over more familiar trails still a love affair with the bike. My poor beautiful Kestrel road bike is wondering what it has done to offend me while it continues to collect dust!

ME: I am an advanced intermediate rider. Ride mostly single track about 250-300 miles a year off-road. Also an experienced roadie covering 1500-2000 miles a year.

YOU: If every Monday you are thinking about the following Saturday and where to ride and where to find new single track AND have some serious cash this bike is for you. If every Sunday finds you in front of the TV with a bacon cheeseburger and a diet coke forget it. If you get this bike and don't ride it, or worse yet don't ride it off road, get thee to a confessor and sell it to someone who will use it!

Klein Pinnacle (no suspension), Rocky Mountains (several)

[Dec 09, 2000]
David Graham

OVERALL
Strength:

completely forgiving machine, and so beautiful and light

none that i have found

i am a not so old 51 year male, who rides across town, through yards, along trails, and have done so almost all my life...i love my bikes and i love biking...so i was happy to finally buy a really great bike, in no small degree due to the reviews that i read at this site!! i was actually poised to by an aluminum framed bike, but recalled, how stiff my last one had been. originally, i was set to purchase the Picgah, but found the toccoa on sale. it is just such a comfortable bike...this town has some awesome steep grades, which on my old beloved clunker, could take my heartbeat up quite a few notches...now on the toccoa it's just almost too easy to climb them...the bike is very stable, even when i think i am gonna crash, the bike seems to right itself, and i continue along...amazed!! i would buy it again and again and again, but shop, shop, shop, as there really are some good deals out there!!

i have never even ridden on a bike near this good!

[Nov 12, 2000]
Kevin Barton

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, power efficient, good vibration dampening, quick handling, good climber, easy maintenance, durability

Shorter top tube than on my similarly sized Cannondale

Initially, this bike handles significantly different than my old Cannondale, as a result the learning curve was tough on the body. I figured out the top tube length and angle placed the bar too close and too low. I changed the stem to make a little more room and raise the bar a little, which improved control and front/rear balance. Since then it's been a complete pleasure to ride. Stable, compliant and best of all an outstanding climber. It's not just that it's light, it also holds a line exceptionally well on technical, steep climbs. Overall, I'm riding faster on this bike. The problem is I'm still not sure if I'm riding faster because the bike is faster or because I want to justify $3,000 for a bike. Either way, faster is faster.

I've riddend two races on the Toccoa, with 1st and 3rd place finishes. I also bettered my best time on a 3-hour ride by a full 20 minutes. Training and trail conditions may have played a small role on that ride, but most of the credit has to go to the Toccoa. My legs take less of a beating over rocks and roots on the Ti compared to my aluminium Cannondale. That makes a difference on longer rides. The Toccoa doesn't feel any more efficient than my Cannondale, it may descend slightly better than the Cannondale (but not much), but the biggest advantage I see is it takes less of a toll on the legs. That quality (and durability) justifies the price to me.

I highly recommend the Toccoa...but, only after you've been riding for several years, and only if you ride enough to make the purchase worthwhile. This is an expensive bike, don't spend this kind of money if it's your first bike or you aren't going to ride it.

Cannondale F700, Giant Sedona (first bike)

[Oct 06, 2000]
scott bays

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, stiff, a excellent climber

Cost (but you get what you pay for

Trying to get more serious about racing (with my bike and my body) and this bike fulfills the need perfectly. Climbs like a lion and is very nimble and responsive. Alittle hard on the butt coming from FS but I expected that.

Cannondale Super V, Raven

[Aug 29, 2000]
Christian Reeves

OVERALL
Strength:

unparalled craftmanship, this bike is a thing of beauty, from it's welds to the gentle curves and geometry of the tubes...top notch the whole way.

Price.....at $150 per pound it can put a hurting on the checkbook.

The ride:
Every ounce of pressure on the pedal goes straight to the ground, this has got to be the tightest rear-end i've ever ridden. This bike was made for technicle climbs, nimble enough to track wisely, yet it seems to store power in thoes titanium tubes! Just when I think a dab is inevitable, somehow the power and balance come, like the bike itself has it on tap! I love it, mine is named "Molly" after Molly's Knob trail in Virgina. The only bike I've ever been able to reach the top with out dabbing!

Klien Adroit(great bike), Airbore lucky-strike (too-flexy)

[May 02, 2000]
Greg

OVERALL
Strength:

Very light, stiffer than Litespeed Pisgah yet still retains the Ti spring. Cool shaped tubes. Impeccable craftmanship, Lifetime warranty.

Expensive--Requires intercepting Visa bill before spouse sees it. No replacable der hanger (litespeed says you don't need it--we'll see.) May be hard to get-you will likely have to order the frame, and may not be able to test ride before buying.

I have owned the Toccoa for about a month, and have put about 200 miles on it, including one long cross-country ride of 40 miles. After riding aluminum for 7 years, the most noticible thing is the vibration-dampening effect of the ti frame, but mystical stiffness when you need it. My first ride was an awe-inspiring experience. Add in the Atom 80 and it is a plush ride. It tracks extremely well--high speed or low, and especially in rocky single track--You can hammer rather than be hammered. Extremely responsive in tight single track, but forgives foolishness. Climbs like a rocket--no noticible frame flex. Springy off jumps. A much faster bike than I imagined-My average speed on training loops is 1.5 mi/hr faster.
A word about fit--I rode a "medium" cannondale frame, and this is a 16 in (CT) Toccoa. It is about .25 in shorter in the top tube, but with a 12 cm stem feels right. This bike feels "taller"--must have a higher center of gravity than the cannondale. Measure carefully before buying. I almost bought a 17 in frame and it would have been a mistake.
What to say other than to confess that I love this bike more than any mechanical device I have ever owned. If you are thinking of buying, do it. You will not be dissapointed in any way. Beautiful craftmanship, lifetime guarantee. Expensive-you bet, but as far as I can tell a value all the same.

Cannondale F500/DD60

[Mar 19, 2000]
Seth "Melochi" Lininger

OVERALL
Strength:

Strong, Lite, Beautiful
Nice ride, smooth and forgiving without being flexy
Draws a lot of attention!

Not the most comfortable bike to shoulder as the cable stops are mounted to the bottom of the top tube.
Draws a lot of attention!

Very impressed with the frame, top notch construction and the tubing is pretty cool. Origionally I was concerned with the top tube cable routing making the bike uncomfortable to shoulder and carry, however it has not posed a problem and it is more aesthetically pleasing so I'll take the trade off! The weight of the complete setup is 22.5 pounds if anyone is interested. It's a Litespeed so of course it's gonna cost but the frame should last a long time! 'knock on 3AL/2.5V'
The most important aspect is of course the ride quality and this is where the bike really shines. Very neutral steering, it performs well on the trail and it likes to climb. My kind of bike!

Cannonwhale M1000 '92
Scott Racing Series '90

[Mar 26, 2001]
Anthony Pizzoferrato

OVERALL
Strength:

Flawless ti unbelieble buietifull as well as the best handinling bike on earth. (planet Dirt)

None what so ever

I've road many bikes in this price range due to my foyurnate sponshership with a local bike shop. and there is nothing tha can compare to the bike company tha is litespeed. I've raced and road my toccoa over 1000 miles so far and it'/s flawless. I would recmond this bike to any one who feels that the need the next and higest level performance upgrade for there mtb. It mite be expensive but you get what you pay for and I garintee there is nothing to regrete. But don'/t buy this bike if your the yuppie who's got all the money in the world and never even hits the trails with it becase that is a discrace to the name litespeed.

Trek, gt, specialized, gunner, Independent Fabercation

[Dec 12, 2000]
Dean

OVERALL
Strength:

Smooth, light, great welds

Expensive

In response to the reviewer below (Adam), how can you claim to have used the Toccoa for 6 months when you admit you haven't bought one? Also, while you are certainly entitled to your opinions (either positive or negative), they should at least be consistent/coherent. Your review is neither. How can you give the Toccoa 1 star when you admit that you buy it if cost less? Certainly your estimation of the price/performance ratio is relevant to your value rating, but it has little or nothing to do with the overall performance rating. A one star rating means that you think the product is crappy -- i.e., you wouldn't buy it. I think you should think a little before you give such a lame review.

Other Litespeeds, Trek, GT, etc.

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.