Litespeed 1999 Owl Hollow Hardtail Bike

1999 Litespeed Owl Hollow, mountain bike, front suspension, Shimano XTR components, Rock Shox Sid SL, 2.5" travel fork

[Oct 15, 2006]
Michael

OVERALL
Strength:

Where do I begin....

Not disc ready in the rear...so I'm going with front disc and keeping the rear V-brakes.

This thing has been through hell for over five years with four pilgrimages to Moab( and one 24hours of Moab) and will go again(wife and Mt. bike gods willing)...in fact my grandchildren will probably take it when they go considering how well built this thing is.

Klein Mantra; spooky darkside; Stumpjumper.

[Aug 14, 2000]
D P

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, way stiff for Ti

Geometry (or maybe it's me)

(This reveiw is actually for a '98 frame) This bike had a strange tendancy to get hung up on stuff that my other bikes would roll through, even the Diamond Back with its' "race geometry". I ran it with a Z2 Bomber for a while and have never endoed so many times when things got rough. Switched to a longer travel Z1, which helped, but it didn't go away entirely. The guy I bought it from said he had the same experience. It might be that the head tube is extra steep(?); I really don't know. I guess it just doesn't suit my style of riding, though it is strong as hell and probably really sweet for racing and smoother terrain. Maybe I'll keep it around for towing the BOB trailer. Oh yeah, the stickers are ugly as hell; do yourself a favor and rip 'em off.

Own(ed) Stumpjumper, DB Axis, FSR Enduro, Trek 7000, Kona Stab-Deeluxe, Access Alu...put some time on different Treks, Litespeed Tellico, Pro-Flexes, GT's, Schwinn Homegrown, blah blah blah...

[Feb 08, 2000]
DAKOTA Shauan

OVERALL
Strength:

Very kind on bumps, and what a climber! Oh, does she like to climb!

IS a Litespeed!! IT DOESN'T HAVE ANY!

This bike is not cheap! BUT!! It's a bike for life! So in 20 years I'll still be riding it, while other people are on their new weightless models!

Zaskar LE

[Jan 20, 2000]
Gary

OVERALL
Strength:

Spot on, Handling. Stiff yet supple ride.

The name.....owls are the death mojo. Had to have my frame renamed by our local shaman.

This is the carving and climbing animal formerly known as the owl hollow. Renamed the LakeRaven and shed of the death vibe of the owl spirit this bike has given rider and friend alike, total perma-grin. I tried to be practical when I spece'd out this bike with XT and have been totally satisfied with the component choices. I went totally overboard with component choices on my last custom ride and have vowed to stay away from exotic hubs, bottom brackets and titanium bolt kits. This bike is slightly heavier than my Miyata Carbon, but rides sweeter and will last much longer (I'm hoping).

Miyata El.1000, Specialized rock Hopper, Klein Mountain Klein

[Nov 05, 1999]
ERIC

OVERALL
Strength:

VERY STIFF AND RESPONSIVE WITH THE DAMPENING QUALITIES OF TITANIUM.

IT IS IMPERATIVE TO BE FIT PERFECTLY ON THIS BIKE OR IT WILL FEEL CLUMSY.

YEAH...THIS BABY IS EXPENSIVE, BUT, IT IS TOTALLY WORTH IT TO WORK THE OVERTIME AT WORK TO PAY FOR THIS TI MACHINE. LITESPEED PULLED NO PUNCHES IN MAKING THIS BABY. THERE IS NOT ONE INCKLING OF DOUBT THAT I MADE THE RIGHT CHOICE OF MOUNTAIN BIKE. GET FITTED BY A SHOP THAT KNOWS THE ART AND SCIENCE OF BIKE FITTING (I.E. BIKESPORT MICHIGAN.)

CANNONDALE KILLER V

[Oct 31, 1998]
Tyler
cross-country rider

OVERALL

Well, I must admit that this is only my second mountain bike, so I don't have a lot to compare the Owl Hollow to, but I know one thing. It sure beats the Diamond Back Ascent rigid fork that I used to have. I don't even know how much that beast weighed, but the Owl is MUCH lighter. I have it built up with full XTR, Time atacs... and weighs around 22.5 lbs. It is absolutely amazing how well this thing climbs. It runs and hops like a rabbit. The ti has a very supple feel to it that gives it a nice forgiving kind of feel. And while the frame has a nice forgiving feel to it, the bike will not hesitate to throw you to the ground, as I have heard someone else say about this particular bike. The only fuss I have is with Litespeed's measurements. I was sized at the shop for a 20 and when it came it gave me like a nanometer of clearance. Finally, after dealing with an uncooperative LBS (where I will NEVER go again) I got the 19 and it is perfect. I've got to give the bike a flamin' hot Tabasco, Avery Island, Louisiana 5 hot smokin' chilis!

[Aug 13, 2004]
Gordon

OVERALL
Strength:

Strong, Liteweight, looks awsome with the offset oval tubes, very unique

still looking

not for the faint hearted. this bike needs direction, dont bother if you want to putt putt on the jogging trail. Aggressive riders will enjoy technical rides through woods, rocks, roots and drops (i havent done any drops over 4 feet because i dont want to trash my wheels).

If you have the balls, this bike will keep up with fullsuspension bikes on the downhills at your favorite ski area and will climb a million time better.

this is a hardcore, bomb proof bike, easily one of the best hard tail bikes ever made.

various high end trek and klein

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.