Litespeed 1999 Obed Hardtail Bike

1999 Litespeed Obed, mountain bike, front suspension, Shimano Deore XT components, Rock Shox Sid XC, 2.5" travel fork

[Jun 28, 2010]
ted simmons

OVERALL
Strength:

Weight, durability, incredible handling, ti ride, workmanship. You can toss this thing in a pool, wait 50 years, have your kid pull it out and it'll still be like new.

None other than decals, but who cares, they're replacable.

I normally don't write but having so much fun on this I couldn't resist. After having this for a year or two with a Marzocchi Marathon I was planning on selling it and building up a retro Salsa as a rigid 1x9. For fun I put on the Salsa Cromoto fork on the Litespeed and I'm having such a ball I'm keeping this one. My point is don't discount these older frames, this is an insane value and a dream ride. I've read elsewhere these older Litespeeds have more manipulated tuves than the newer ones and mine actually weighs less. My frame is actually a 1996, now 14 years old!

Bontragers, bunch of Ibis's, Santa Cruz, etc.

[Jun 03, 2008]
trevor
Downhiller

OVERALL
Strength:

Amazing ride... very lite. i love this bike it takes a hit and keeps on going. Best bike i have ever had period.

Rockshox sid was a b*%ch to rebuild no adapter to add air..
had to order new top caps w/schrader valve from jenson usa.
going to mill brackets to add disk brakes

Don't underestimate this bike. Nothing i enjoy more than passing full suspension bikers on the downhill.
If your looking for a good all around bike that is strong enough for the rigors of downhill riding this is a great choice.. i have no regrets. five chilis!

Kona stinky

[Jul 27, 2007]
Tom

OVERALL
Strength:

The workmanship and product are excellent. After years of riding hard, it is still standing tall than the rest of my dual suspension bike. I love it so much I bought a NIota Ti.

None! Maybe the decal. But after close to 10years, I don't care... IT is cosmetic and I am not vain.

IT is still my favorite bike. I crack my Intense spider's frame twice. I rode the same trails with my hardtail OBed. Even Moab adventure every year, but my hardtail did'nt have a single crack. I used canecreek thudbuster seat. It helps for those long grueling climbs. Now, I don't have too since I got myself the big brother Niota ti. for more all mountain trail riding. I am a 200lbs. rider and titanium can handle my weight. I still lift weights and not worry about my bike too heavy for me. I need those extra muscle padding in case those gigantic trees in tne NW won't get my way, I'll just plow them over. Just kidding!!!

Intense spider XVP

[Mar 23, 2007]
sam

OVERALL
Strength:

This bike is sweet period. It rides like a dream and has amazing handling. weighs less than all my friends new bikes.

none yet.

This bike is amazing. The Titanium frame rides like a dream. I would reccomend this bike to anyone.

cannondale killer v500, redline monocog flight, and diamonback outlook.

[May 21, 2000]
Toby

OVERALL
Strength:

Stability at speed and through rough sections. Light weight. Magic-carpet ti ride. Beautifully crafted.

I haven't found any yet.

I've been riding since 1990. I've had cromoly and aluminum frames. The Obed is much more stable than anything else. This bike just glides through sections that would have tossed my aluminum bike (and me) off the trail. It climbs like a goat and descends like a rocket. I used to think that the bike made no difference and had no effect on the ability of the rider. The Obed has disproved that theory because it made me better.

Schwinn and Redline cromoly bikes. Alpinestars Al-Mega.

[Dec 29, 1999]
Lee Nelson
Cross-Country Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Ride quality, geometry, price, weight

None that I can find

After years of drooling over Ti and rationalizing not having a rig like this I finally got my chance. This unit is sold under the name Macalu by Excel Sports in Boulder, CO. Don't be fooled, it is an OBED with different stickers and you know this after your first ride. It is by far, the best riding bike I have ever been on. Period. (and I've ridden a lot of high buck iron). Weight is about 22.5 at 16.5 with the XTR. Not the lightest in the world, but weight can be a double edge sword. It is light enough to feel very nimble, but no so that you start to spew parts. XTR drivetrain is fantastic, though it must be kept clean and lubed. The Rock Shox post is wonderful and the Flite Gel saddle is defintely a comfortable step up. Stop wasting your time; bite the bullet and buy one. You WILL NOT be sorry.

First Ti bike; have owned or ridden carbon, steel, aluminum, front only and full suspension

[Jan 24, 2001]
Russell

OVERALL
Strength:

stiff and can take a beating. handles good. fast bike no matter what, up or down hills.

sid fork. will probably switch it out for a marzocchi. although i beat the hell out of it and it has held up so far. just doesn't feel good @ any pressure. would like cables mounted on top or bottom of top tube instead of on the right side of the tube.

love the strength of the frame and the asymmetric stays. i ride it everyday, rain or shine, and it has done a good job so far. The welds are beautiful and hold extremely well. you don't need a full suspension bike to go fast down hills. with this bike just get back over the rear and steer. fast out of corners and very fast in the flats.
if you can't afford a used one now, wait until you can. but trust me, you NEED this bike...keep it in the big ring.

Fisher Montare. Mongoose Ti. Giant MCM

[Mar 06, 2001]
Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Sweet frame. Rigid enough for out of saddle sprints, compliant enough to handle the rough stuff. And light!

None.

If you want to race, or ride the best hardtail there is, get a Litespeed. The Obed is a great value, and doesn't differ much from the much more expensive models in their line. The titatium finish looks great, and is so durable that after a year of riding the only thing that shows the wear are the decals.

[Nov 03, 2000]
Rob

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, looks nice, easy to maintain rear shock

hugh head tube, had to change fork

This the full Suspenstion version of the obed, i bought it Yahoo auctions and got a great deal for 360. This is a super fast bike, easy to maintain. Looks like a hardtail, not a FS bike. Over all great!!! Comes with an AMP tail, not litespeed.

Specilized M2 ans FSR-1

[Jul 02, 2000]
Mike

OVERALL
Strength:

Lightweight, great Titanium feel, supple ride, beautifully crafted piece of art. The best bike I've ever seen, owned or ridden!

None yet.

All I can say is WOW! I thought my Klein Mantra had a sweet ride but this bike is incredible. It is so light (21 lbs.) that you practically float over terrain obstacles. And anything that is big and unavoidable, the frame gives just enough to make it feel like full-suspension! I feel like I rode downhill just as fast or even faster than on my Klein Mantra. Unreal. The back end is real predictable over obstacles. Having the bike this light also makes climbing that much easier.... if only my legs and lungs would see it that way! A full recommendation to anyone thinking about getting this bike: just do it. I got mine in perfect shape off MTBR for a steal, so look around. Looks like the Mantra is going into storage for awhile, sorry Gary!

GT Pantera, Klein Mantra Race full-suspension

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.