Kona 2000 Pahoehoe Hardtail Bike

mountain bike, front suspension, Mountain Mix components, Marzocchi Bomber Z-3 Flylight fork

[Mar 13, 2019]
doktakwa

OVERALL
Strength:

Absolute dream of a bike to own. Never going to sell it. Nice geometry, beautiful finish to the paintwork and, 19 years on, the decals are still glowing in the dark. Has fittings to run rear disc brake. Frame is light and yet feels really strong. Upped the spec on this already altered bike. Changed wheelset to mavic x719 with XT hubs. Full XT groupset 770 plus avid bb7 mechanical disc brakes. Wider Easton bars with avid speed dial brake levers. Still on original forks and headset though.

None really as weaker components already swapped out when I bought it second hard. Forks are fine for what I do and where I live. Had 97 cindercone, koa & lava dome, 2000 cindercone & lava dome, 2004 cindercone, 2007 kula, 2008 cindercone but this beats them all.

Price Paid:
2000
[Apr 27, 2003]
Ian

OVERALL
Strength:

Frame construction is a thing of beauty (despite having been made in Taiwan)- e.g. inclusions of proper braze-ons for disc brake hoses, beautiful welds, durable paint-job and decals. Compared to my GT i-Drive frame, this frame construction really shows a high level of quality and quality-control. Lots of attention to detail in the frame design and manufacture.

Original seatpost seemed too flexy for my liking. Original saddle and pedals sucked.

Rides great - a bit slacker geometry with the longer travel fork, but no real problem.

Flat (narrower) bars make it feel less like a technical trail-bike (one of the bikes' original strengths), but it does feel "racier".

Although I liked the Avid Arch Rival original V-brakes, I do prefer discs.

My only regret is that, alas, the era of the hardtail seems to be drawing to a close. I do find I get a sore back when riding a hardtail over longer distances, which seems to be improved by dual-suspension. I may swap all the new components over to a light-weight dualie over the next year or so. If I do, I think I will always miss this bike in a way.

[Jul 25, 2001]
Jeff Gennett

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, stiff, responsive -very 'dialed in'

Wellgo pedals

WOW!! This is an awesome bike! It blazes thru the trickiest singletrack without a hitch!! I test rode a Trek 8500 and it felt like grandma's buick compared to the Kona. I can't describe how quick the bike reacts to the rider- telepathic! It begs to be ridden fast! It screams up hills and tracks very steadily on the steepest downhills. (Screw FS!) If you are looking for a race ready xc hardtail, this is it!! Get rid of the Wellgo pedals, though. Good components - especially if you like to upgrade. It's the same frame as the Kula, but comes w/ LX shifters and front deraileur. BUY THIS BIKE!

Trek 8500, GT Avalanche

[Apr 17, 2001]
Shelby H

OVERALL
Strength:

Ride Quality

LX Front derailer

I bought this bike to start racing. I felt with $1000 I could get a more race-worhty hardtail than a full suspension. Boy was I right with the Kona. The ride is confidence inspiring. It decends great and climbs like a scared cat. It enjoys twisty single track and has made me a much faster rider. With a few upgrades I am sure it will help me compete at the next level.

Trek 8000

[Apr 04, 2001]
MikeD

OVERALL
Strength:

-good priced
-very confident ride
-super good handling
-light
-durable
-very good deal

nothing yet

I just bought this bike and a very impressed, t's super fast and has a very nice confident ride to it. I can ride more difficult trails on this bike than I could on my M2. It's a dream on the DH's and climbs realy well too. It isn't the lightest of bikes but it does have a very nice ride to it and I'm very happy with my new kona. The race face cranks and polished atom 80 added a little to the cost but made a good bike even better. A definite 5 flamin roaches for this one.

1999 M2-Pro ( sucked )

[Mar 20, 2001]
John

OVERALL
Strength:

Stiff and strong frame, glow in the dark rocks, solid selection of components.

Grips twist, looked too cool and was stolen, Bas-tards!

I went into the shop to buy a stumpjumper and test rode the Pahoehoe. Needless to say I took the Pahoehoe home. The bike fit me extemely well and handled like a dream. The bike screamed to me to go faster and jump higher. The bike climbs well and does exceptionally well in tight technical stuff. There was no flex when I hammered it, the brkes worked well, and the shock ate up everything. My confidence and riding skill got better on this bike. I accidently left my garage door open and some bas-tard took it and left my wife's stump jumper, at least he had taste. I am replacing it with a 2001 Kula since I am a new Kona convert. I would recommend this bike to any hardtail rider that wants a tough fast bike. Kona Rocks!

Trek 930, stumpjumper, ancient KHS tank

[Oct 29, 2000]
Chris Hermiston

OVERALL
Strength:

light weight!!! my bike only weights 23 pounds.
handles like a dream
climbs like a mountain goat
very well constructed frame

front shocks-just overall weak front shocks!! get a pair of manitou sx-r's or x-vert's
grips (they twist and then when you try to shift you cant cause the grip is blocking it fron moving,those of you who own one will know what i am talkin about)
pedals-i upgraded to some shimano 545's cause they will be better for what i do

excellent bike,handles well,takes the big drops and launches very well and stays in one peice!! this is a great xc race rocket for those of you who race and have a smaller bugdet than those races who buy titanium frames. And for those of you who are not that heavy (like me) and like to freeride,but cant fork up enough cash for a chute or roast,this one does the trick quite well. I do recoment replacing the grips and/or cutting them, switching the stock shock, and if you want to do a bit of freeriding, get some DH pedals or flats.Overall the best bike i have owned yet.
PS:KONA RULES.....go out and get yourself one soon!!

[Oct 09, 2000]
TODD

OVERALL
Strength:

Solid frame, good components.

Haven't found any yet.

Got this bike as an end of year deal. I can't complain. The first day on the bike was enjoyable due to the great handling, super ride, and component group. I haven't been this comfortable and confident on a bike since my Stumpjumper. The bike is smooth and predictable at any pace.

Stumpjumper, Trek 8000, Bianchi, Nishiki, Schwinn, KHS, Proflex.

[Oct 02, 2000]
Blaine

OVERALL
Strength:

Everything - Custom Built

This bike rocks. I have been riding various bikes for years (both road and MB) and this is it. I can do anything on this thing. I can climb like snot, jump, take 6-foot drops, scream downhill, you name it. I am hard on bikes and this one is indestructible, yet light enough to ride for long rides. I have done 100+K cross country rides on this thing as well as demanding North Shore and Urban Assault forays. I don't care what anyone says, the Marzocci fork rocks - low maintenance and great performance. The Avid Arch Rival brakes work great. I had to go with all XT instead of the LX. This bike outperforms any full suspension I've ridden. The geometry is right on and it really is a point and shoot machine. Makes you a better rider. If you want to do it all, this is your bike.

Various HT and FS

[Aug 16, 2000]
Shawn

OVERALL
Strength:

Sweet frame. Sweet fork. Great positioning for trail riding.

Components could be better for the money. Wheels should definitely be better, or at least the rims should be better any way. Made in Taiwan! You people at Kona have not sold your selves out have you?

This is an awsome rig. I think I love this bike (I hope my wife never reads this). I am having to get used to the weight of the frame because it is so lite that it feels fragile. However, I have had no problems whatsoever with it. It has been holding up under my fat ass over small jumps and drops, so it must be nearly indestructable.
I have never really ridden a suspension fork other than this one, but it is very sweet. I can now haul ass down hills that would have killed me with a rigid fork.
The components seem to work okay, but I think, for the money, Kona could have given me a little more love in that department. Particularly since they saved so much money having the frame made in Taiwan. I really, really think they could have done better with the rims, if not the wheels as a whole.
As far as grips go, I have the Kona glow-in-the-dark kind and they are not red. Red grips would not make this bike look at all cool. If you get the red kind, take them off and install some Kona glow-in-the-dark kind. They are way cool and they nicely complement the best thing of all things about this bike, and that is the glow-in-the-dark stickers on the frame. My Kona glow-in-the-dark stickers ROCK!
Finally, (I'm kind of a long winded S.O.B. aren't I) I would recommend this bike for those who want a trail bike that is lite, strong, climbs okay and decends like a dream. If I were to take up cross-country racing, I think I would spend more money. I would get a bike with better components as well as a frame that is better set up for serious climbing. It could be an okay bike for doing a little racing here and there, but this is mainly a kick ass trail bike in my opinion. This bike could make a hammer head out of me all over again.

Muni Mula, but only in a parking lot, and my old Schwinn KOM S-7.

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.