K2 Bike 1999 Bike Zed M Hardtail Bike

1999 K2 Bike Zed M, mountain bike, front suspension, Mountain Mix components, K2 Smart Fork, 3.0" travel fork

[Jul 08, 2011]
wolfgangbrett
Downhiller

OVERALL
Strength:

strong yet light frame

smart forks, rims, crank rings

i got this bike used and i think its an excellent bike even tho it has some problems but no bike is perfect. i put this bike through hell and its still rides good.

[Dec 21, 2000]
Kevin Vagen

OVERALL
Strength:

Great for the price, I paid $660 for it and didnt waste a penny on it. climbs like a DEMON. I can whoop my friend on his F700 on any climb, any day, and he rides a hell of a lot more than me.

Well the tires. Also, the frame is too big for me (my fault), and thats about it.

I love this bike. It's my first, and I find nothing wrong with it, cept its too big for me. The tires suck, but that's not a big deal. I love the fully integrated LX drivetrain. Unfortunately, the brakes are being outdated by newer parallel products. I paid good money for it, and I am soo happy with it. I put a suspension seatpost on it, because the rear end is kind of bitter. What sucked is the dealer who I bought it from rigged it up to break on me, I had to change the derailleur hanger, the derailleur, the fork, but I dont regret buying this one bit. It's an XC bike strictly though, they even clue you in with no disc mounts on the back. I wish K2 wasnt sucha WUSS nowadays, and make new bikes like the 1999 K2 Zed M.

[Apr 27, 2000]
Kerry Hilts

OVERALL
Strength:

Brakes, Seat, Frame, Fork, Gears (very smooth), and Appearance (even though my friends call it a Christmas Tree. This bike handles very well, and is very forgiving.

Non So Far

I am a big guy and the ride is very smoth, handles well off road as well as on. Fond it to be one of the smoothest shifting bikes I tested.

I understand the 2000 models of K2 will even have a better front suspension.

Worth taking a look at - especially for its price and components. I bought my bike off season, and got it for nearnly 1/2 price off retail.

Overall very sweet.

TREK 8000, KONA Lava Dome, CANONDALE 500

[Sep 13, 1999]
Rich

OVERALL
Strength:

the frame is really stout. I can rail on this
bike and it handles my lack of style. The
drive train and brakes Lx/Xt/avid 2.0. work well together. It is really accurate and easy to tune. The best part is the low price point at which it sells. and the smart fork performs well on the trails.

Smart fork, bottom bracket, and wire bead Geax tires are too heavy. my bike weighs in at 27+ lbs. (medium). Bar ends are too big. They should be on the front of a 70's Caddy. (they look like bull horns)

great enthusiast bike. It can easily be lightend just by changing the tires.
I really like how accurate it is in the dirt! Just 3 lbs. heavier than I would like it.
maybe next year K2 will out fit it with the new Noleen air shock!

I work at a bike shop, name them. including a friends Breezer lightning
with full xtr.

[Aug 26, 1999]
deke

OVERALL
Strength:

Awesome fork
xt rear der.
Avid 1.9 brakes
SDG Bel Air saddle

Bar ends were too big.

This bike is solid, solid, solid. This bike has taken some serious abuse. It still rides like day one. I only made one modification. I changed the flat bars for Race Face riser bars.

Kona Explosif
Marin Indian Fire Trail

[Jun 29, 1999]
R. Miller

OVERALL
Strength:

Smart Shock
Component mix
Price

None so far. Could use a suspension seat post.

I was originally looking at the Zed X at 799.00 but the dealer had the uprated M model that retails for 1100.00 priced at 899.00. Easy choice since the uprated components were worth much more than the 100.00 difference. I have thrashed it on several cross country runs and have had zero problems. Top notch bike for the price!

Mongoose
Diamondback

[Jun 20, 1999]
Megan

OVERALL

The bottom line is this bike ROCKS for the price. I fell in love as soon as I laid eyes on it! The frame is sturdy (although, I have only owned it for three months and am a relatively small person (5'2''-115 lbs)); it has great components (LX), and most importantly, it has the Smart Shock system which is unbelieveable! The only bad thing about this bike is it's weight, but even that isn't so bad. I give this puppy 5 jabeneros!

[Jun 16, 2001]
Yo Dude

OVERALL
Strength:

FRAME...ya just can't hurt it!!!

1-SmartFork (JOKE...JUNK!!!) 2-Weinmann rims 3-cheap headset 4-cheap saddle 5-JUNK tires

Mine is a 2000 model - K2 didn't list one for some reason. I bought it for the GF, once it was upgraded I liked it so much I race on it! Don't worry about HER - she got the Yeti...LOL!!! I think it's one of the best XC race frames available to a non-sponsored rider. It cost close to a grand, and I spent another 800 in upgrades, but it's worth every cent. The best thing you can do to the stock bike is SEND THE SMARTFORK BACK TO K2 IMMEDIATELY. It's been recalled by K2 'cause the electronics NEVER work. Too heavy anyway, you'll drop 2-3 pounds with a SID or Marzo.

Straight off the showroom this is a darn decent ride for the money - if you spend a few extra bucks (FORK, wheelset and crank) on ebay, this thing will hold its own at ANY race venue in the country. I give it as many belly-burners as possible!!

Brass Monkey, Yeti ARC, Indian Fire Trail

[Jun 25, 2000]
James

OVERALL
Strength:

Great fork, Nice frame, Good wheels, great price, tracks thru any high speed run

Bar ends, tires are not what I would choose myself

great bike it reminds me of my race bike (GT Avalanche AL)
for about one third the money. If I can shave 2 or 3 pounds off of the K2 it will be the new racer in the stable. Perfect for the beginer to intermediate rider and even the beginer racer.

Cannondale F600, trek 6000, GT Avalanche Al (still own) Gary Fisher Hoo Koo

[Nov 28, 1999]
Medicine Man
Cross-Country Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Very forgiving ride. Really rails. Stiff ride lends to quickness on the trail. SmartFork is sweet...if it doesn't get wet

Rear brake stinks. Sent fork back for re-build took three weeks (light quit working) Fork is awesome when dialed in.

Quality is lacking in paint job. Still a great bike for the buck. When fork came back from re-build they re-used the gaskets. Sensor light still is not working properly. Dealer is a joke!

Schwinn HomeGrown, Trek 7000

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.