Giant 2001 Rainier SE Hardtail Bike

[Jun 24, 2019]
daubrey3

OVERALL
Strength:

Have had this bike for 18 years...frame is still solid. Have upgraded to full hydraulic brakes (Deore xt) and 100mm fork. the original brakes and 80mm Z5 Air fork have moved to my 98 KHS FS. Still a fun bike to ride even compared to my latest 160mm Full suspension bike.

This bike has kept me from replacing it for 18 years...

Price Paid:
2001
[Mar 26, 2009]
Anonymous

OVERALL
Strength:

great value

many lower end components

I've had this bike for 8 years. I've upgraded almost every part on the frame. It's nearing it's end of life after some salty winter rides but for now it is still my daily commuter bike.

[Mar 01, 2002]
Jonathan Taylor

OVERALL
Strength:

Great components and frame for the price of the bike

bottem bracket, deriallers, tires, seat is uncomfortable

Awesome bike for the price. The components are still middle of the line and will probably want to upgrade some of them. The frame is perfect for upgrading. Seatpost and handlebar are alittle heavy for racing but will work fine for everyday use. I would recommend the bike to anybody. Go get one!!

trek y3

[Oct 29, 2001]
will

OVERALL
Strength:

discs, awseome fork, great ride fast and light(compared to my last bike), strong as hell

could use some better pedals, also needs better tires,

awseome bike for the money, great for any kind of rider. no matter what kind of rider you are you might still have a lil trouble with the tires. i would upgrade the rear to a panaracer fire xc. i give it 5 for value cause the schwinn which is closest to it is 900 bucks compared to its 700. and then 4 overall because of the tires and pedals

other giant, gt avalanche, schwin moad disc

[Jul 13, 2002]
Sam

OVERALL
Strength:

Nice Stiff Frame, Z5 Bomber, Avid Mechanical Brakes, Great Bang for your buck

The drivetrain, with the exeption of the rear deraliur. seatpost, grips, also get a new bike if your going to go big.

I'm only 13 but I have almost thrashed this thing. This is a good bike for XC but I do alot of FreeRide, Dirt Jumping,Urban Assalt and Downhill. If you are new to biking this is a good bike to get started out on. But once you go over 4 feet on this thing, it falls apart. Now my rear deraliur shifts worse then my friends Alivio. I would say this thing is a good all around bike to get started on. I'm going to save up my pennys to by me an Iron Horse G-Spot or Ginsun or an AC Air. This bike will last a complete newbie about 1 year. Overall its a great ride though and you will become fantasic on the rainier.

Trek 4500, Trek 8000

[Jan 13, 2002]
Mike

OVERALL
Strength:

VALUE!!!
Avid Discs
Marzocchi Z.5
Frame Geometry

Man, my last bike was a Huffy...no comparison!

Getting this bike was one of the smartest things I've done in quite some time...one of the best values in mountain biking! This bike has held up very well, even through a few races (except for the brake lever I bent by hitting a tree). Since it's 2002 now, you can probably get an even better price for one!

I love it!

[Dec 20, 2001]
Chris Bare

OVERALL
Strength:

Strong Solid Aluminum Frame
Best Value For a Hard Tail so far
Cannot Beat Avid Disc Brakes
Z.5 Fork is Excellent

A Little on the Heavy Side
Saddle a bit Uncomfortable on the Long Rides
The bottom bracket is cheap and will need replacing before you put 500 miles on the bike.

This bike is a dirt cheap and dirt hungry hardtail. It performs like a bike two time as expensive and has a well built frame worthy of upgrades. It also has excellent componets like a Shimano Deore drive train, Z.5 air coil suspension fork, Avid mechanical disc brakes, & WTB 2.1" Nanoraptor DNA tires. I would recommend this bike for anyone wishing to enter the world of mountain biking or someone who wants to upgrade their hard tail but has a limited budget. I have a FS 2001 XCT NRS 3 with disc brakes, and a 2002 Psylo front fork, but I still find my self wanting to ride this bike frequently.

2001 Kona Lava Dome, 2001 Giant XTC NRS 3

[Sep 24, 2001]
Dale

OVERALL
Strength:

Frame, Brakes, Shocks, Price, Price, Price

Seat, Heavy, Cranks

Have had the bike a little over a month. This is my first suspension off-road as my previous bike, a GT All Terra from the early 90s, was my previous machine and it was fully rigid. The ride is so much sweeter and the brakes stop on a dime (not that hard to work with either). It is a bit sluggish on climbs though and this could be in part to my riding style (time to adjust), but I am sure the 29 pound weight doesn't help. The price is incredible and I figure Giant, even though it's Tawainese, cannot be making much of a profit here, unless they had an overstock of parts when they started building these things. Bike handles well on switchback climbs, but that may be in part to the Z.4s I have on the front, something I did not have the luxury of previously. Riding a Rigid frame previously, I cannot comment on how sweet the ride is compared to other HT Bikes. So I will only give it 4 Chili's as I am sure there are sweeter machines, but I only ride for Adventure Racing, so I am no expert. But for the VALUE...totally SWEET for now (A novice rider's dream)!!!

[Sep 06, 2001]
Jason

OVERALL
Strength:

Kick ass bike. Brakes, shock, gears, all good.

None really, the only problems I have had are with my own weaknesses.

Great bike for the money, especially now that 2002 bikes are coming out. The price has decreased by hundreds.

[Sep 05, 2001]
Randy P

OVERALL
Strength:

Avid discs, relatively light frame, decent components, great value for the dollar.

Suntour crank and crappy BB! Poor to non-existent documentation supplied with the bike: no info on the Avids or the Marzocchi fork accompanied the bike. Toe-clip pedals, an average Koski saddle with fairly weak rails.

As several reviewers have commented, the Achilles Heel of the Rainier SE is the cheap Suntour crank. Like others, I could not get the derailleur chain rub to go away. Worse, the chainrings were warped causing the bike to want to jump gears when pedalling hard. The BB was mushy and not adjusted properly when I took delivery, so it exaggerated the problem with the crank. Giant is aware of the crank problem and did authorize replacement of the crank under warranty. I had several service department issues with Performance and did the upgrade on my own. Since then it's been great.

Depending on your riding style, you may also want to chuck the OE Michelin Wildgripper 1.95 tires in favor of more meaty rubber. I just installed the 2.10 Panaracers and have not had much of a chance to thrash them offroad, but in the few outings I've had, they seem to do a better job of absorbing the hits.

Buy this bike if you're a weekend warrior with mostly XC in mind. Forget about it if you're a serious downhiller, though I can hang with the FS guys on many of the trails I ride. Climbers may want to upgrade the 11-32 Shimano cassette to a 11- or 12-34.

I've put about 500 miles on my Rainier since March and have been very happy with the purchase. I look at it this way: the money I saved on the bike I could spend on upgrades such as a better crank and seatpost shock yet still come in under most of the competition in price.

Schwinn Moab.

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.