Trek 1999 VRX 200 Full Suspension Bike

1999 Trek VRX 200, mountain bike, front & rear suspension, Mountain Mix components, Rock Shox Jett XC, 3.0" travel fork

[May 23, 2020]
oldpesky

OVERALL
Strength:

Pulled out of the shed for the first time in a long, long time. New back tyre bought, front derailleur cable adjusted, bit of oil on chain etc and hit the cross country trail in the woods behind my house. Great fun. Only problem I had was that the bike is in better condition than me.

Still fiddling with front derailleur. Probably needs someone who knows what they are doing to do it for me 🤔

[Jan 25, 2020]
J3ZZUS93

OVERALL
Strength:

I found this bike outside rusty but it still functional I want to restore it.

Rust in some places

Purchased:
Used
[Mar 28, 2019]
helcher3

OVERALL
Strength:

Still a great bike https://www.powerdirtbikes.com

None that I can think of

Purchased:
Used
[Oct 28, 2015]
UrbanDan

OVERALL
Strength:

Super Fast

Pedal Bob; fixed it with a new rear shock.

This bike is amazing. I bought it for my son for $100 in a garage sale. Not a bit of rust, excellent shape. After 30 minutes of some basic adjustments i got on it and took it for a test ride. This thing is fast, I got up to speed in no time. I ride a $3k Cannonade FS bike and this thing, for its age, is pretty close to what I would expect from a brand new bike. I upgraded the rear suspension with a shock I had laying around which immediately eliminated the pedal bob this bike seems to be known for. The outdated disk brake adapter for the rear was hard to find but worth the upgrade. The front fork is substandard. In the process of buying a new one from eBay. The riding position seems awkward at first but the power I can put down on the pedals is amazing. The whole bike seems to have more travel than it actually has.

The biggest downfall of it is its looks. What an ugly bike!!! In addition that every new Next bike from walmart that comes out of the store has a similar look.

If you can score one for cheap, get it, It's worth it.

[Jun 25, 2014]
Kilbroney Park MTB Elite, Rostrevor, Northern Irel

OVERALL
Strength:

Bomb proof frame. Design light years ahead of its time in 1999.

None, believe it or not. Still running with all original parts.

Totally flawless frame design in 1999 when I acquired the bike through a sponsorship gift. Then fate favoured this bike. I used this as a training bike on roads and cross country and after about a year I stored it still as new. Then in 2013 took the old girl old and hit everywhere, hard hell as always in Ireland. This bike handles everything and gives some new bikes a whipping. If you have one in the UK hold on to it. I have been offered a small fortune this bike, believe me when guys see you hitting Kilbroney flat out. Then find out the bikes 15 years old, unreal. I still have her and now stored again for good???? Hmm. What a bike!!!!! Well ahead of its time and what a great looking.

[Aug 22, 2003]
Jonathan L

OVERALL
Strength:

Light enough for a full suspension... no longer an outdated frame because of new suspension technology. Awesome control going down.. a little heavy going up but I can keep up with the pack on light bikes

don't know if it's just me but a bearing system at the pivot location would provide a much stiffer ride... Need a special adapter for hayes disc.. fixed the problem though.

Pedals better than most bikes on the market now, change the rear shock and it'll be hard to find a bike capable of doing everything this thing does. Change the travel from 4"-5.25" makes it an all round trail bike (blackdiamond) Frame geometry is out of this world. Bottom line, right parts spec and this bike rules... real head turner... I haven't seen another one like it in Northern Ontario.

Giant AC3; Kona, Norco, Specialized, Gary Fisher... tried a lot.

[Jun 22, 2003]
Marco Beutelrock

OVERALL
Strength:

I bought it just so i could upgrade it in the future... and now its done.. the Frame really takes it all ! i have been using it for hard freeride and its just keeps going on and on...

Factory setup is ok for a beginner but if you planning on go for some freeride/urban you should upgrade the fork and wheels first of all.

I strongly recommend you to buy one of this bike if you are in to some free-riding in the woods and for urban riding... 200,300 or 500 no matter i got the 200 it´s all the same, this frame kick **. i never hade any problems with this frame and every time im out riding i cant stop thinking that i bought the best bike (after upgrades) and that it´s 3 years old and still produces so well...

GT, Gary fischer bikes, Cannondale Raven and Kona Stinky -02

[Oct 13, 2002]
Ken Hill

OVERALL
Strength:

Great foundation to build on. Color you can live with.

Who was the genius that decided how to mount the front derailleur? No more lunch in the paint booth!

Nice bike, but the next change would probably be a better rear shock. The bike handles nicely, but it is a bit on the heavy side. This may be because it is the first full suspension bike I have owned, and I came off of a 9900 prior to this bike. It's unfortunate that this bike has been discontinued, and that more companies don't make a bike that fits smaller people. I am 5'4" in my shoes, and I barely clear the top tube.

Overall a nice starter suspension bike. Affordable and comfy enough to get your teen or significant other into riding. It's also nice that you are dealing with a company that will be around for the life of the bike, and that they stand behind their product.

I also have a 9900 that I scavanged parts from to make the bike lighter and smoother.

[Mar 04, 2002]
Jason Harms

OVERALL
Strength:

Great Free-ride bike.

Original component package sucked as much as any low end package would. In fact that's why I bought the VRX-200. With the intention of upgrading about everything.

I have put a lot of miles w/ mild abuse on this bike and it has been awesome. A lot of DumbA$$ people ripped on this bike when it debuted because they thought it was a downhill bike. Silly consumers! And Trek discontinued them after a 2yr. production. Silly Trek. All I can say is, "I'M GLAD I GOT MINE!!!". This bike was designed for free-riding and is perfect in that realm once you attach all your trusted and/or favorite components.

Gary fisher, canondale, etc.

[Jan 28, 2002]
Ron

OVERALL
Strength:

Frame design, full suspension, started as a frame only, and built it up to my specs...

No where to mount a pump, or water bottle.

I took a long consideration in buying this frame, I was ready to buy one of the Cannodale super v's, or an Specialized fsr, but none of the bikes had none of the parts that I wanted, to do so increased the price dramatically!!! After reading some of the reviews of the bike, most of the complaints are about the components on the bike, so I decided to build my own! This bike is great on the trails, even going up hills was not as bad as I thought it would be. I still like my hardtail, but this bike is awesome!! You just have to upgrade it with better components. I'll be keeping this bike for awhile!!

Trek Fuel 90, Specialized FSR,Cannodale super v 500

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.