Specialized 1999 Stumpjumper FSR XC Pro Full Suspension Bike

1999 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR XC Pro, mountain bike, front & rear suspension, Shimano Deore XT components, Rock Shox Sid XC, 2.5" travel fork

[Jan 20, 2019]
SoaringInk

OVERALL
Strength:

Fantastic old bike with a design that stands up to time. Its fast, its light, and very responsive. I just can't let go of it.

I don't know any.

1999
[Jul 06, 2003]
David M.

OVERALL
Strength:

I love my bike. Had it for almost 4 years now and have taken care of it so it is still in great shape. Very sturdy, strong, fast. Went riding with a friend of mine on a flat surface. While he was pumping away, I was going same speed just coasting. The shock system is great and gives you a feeling of invincibility. Had no problems with bike. Only service is once a year tune up. Ride on Mammoth Mountain bike park and it held nicely.

Need to upgrade seat, handlebars, crankarm.

Great bike. You're putting some serious money down for it but I think it is worth it. If I got anything less I feel that I would have spent money already buying a new bike. With this bike I am so comfortable with the performance that I am still happy with it and don't need a new bike.Problems noted by other riders in previous review have not been seen. The air shocks have held for me. I only need to put more air in every other month (doesn't give out in 2 hours of riding and I'm a pretty big guy 200lbs).No components broken though I am sure the bushings will wear out sooner or later. Bottom Line?
TAKE CARE OF YOUR BIKE AND IT WILL TAKE CARE OF YOU!!! ;)

Trek 6500. Diamondbank X6.

[Jan 26, 2002]
John Su

OVERALL
Strength:

well rounded x-country full suspension, good value (esp via ebay) and if weak parts already replaced

if not replaced: crankset

purchased via ebay, after itching to get a full suspension at a reasonable price to replace my trusted 7 year old bridgestone hardtail. had been waiting for fsr to come down in price and weight.

this 99 was an upgrade from my hardtail in many ways: kind of busted LX shifters to XT/XTR transmission, cantilever to V brakes, Quadra10 to RS SID, quill to aheadset, plus rear suspension all at about the same weight (27lbs). geometry was easy to tweak with a flip of the aheadset stem, adjusting seat position...

i'm 175lbs and prefer running the rear at 180-190 to minimize bobbing on flats. the rear makes riding on new england rocky, root filled trails much easier and more efficient. smooths out the ride enormously.

the seller of this bike had it well maintained...no problems with squeeks, looseness, cracks in the rear end. if it does develop, i'll look into the mtn speed products x-link upgrade....at $150, i'm gonna hold off.

the issue with specialized cranks is moot on this bike since the seller had replaced them with sturdy truvativ. not as flashy as race face, but they do the job.

he also included time atac pedals with new cleats... i'm holding off for now until i get new shoes (my old specialized pros with ritchey spds are just as old my hardtail!). and until i get used to riding this thing (minimize the crashes =))

also, cool he threw in the fox shock and sid adapter, along with a few other goodies. great ebay seller!

to be honest, it's not a humongous change from my hard tail....weight's about the same, a bit easier to bunny hop with the "bounce" provided by front/rear shocks, but definitely smooths out the ride and will let me ride through/over more than i did before, without being too plush. so basically, perfect for XC, not for super-G downhill.

nit picks: the rear V brake cable brushes my left calf on occassion...might try to bend that cable guide a bit. wish they would've just spec'd XT/XTR through out. needs bar ends.

[Nov 23, 2001]
KC

OVERALL
Strength:

Excellent Design, relatively light weight, and good handling.

Crank, wheels, and plastic bushing used in some of the pivot points.

All around a very good bike from Specialized. You can cruise over some types of terrain that are pure torture on a hardtail and big difference in traction too. The crank was the most serious flaw. It came loose and there after refused to stay tight, but that was after a year of hard use. Mountain Speed kits really make a difference if you decide to get a 99-00 model. The 01 and up have fixed this design flaw. The wheels are built up a little on the light side, but I did manage to get over 2 years riding on them.

[Aug 08, 2001]
Stijn Muselaers

OVERALL
Strength:

Frame: cool, LIGHT FOR A FULLY, cool, fast, cool, not much resonance, cool, black, cool

SID (off course)

poor quality drive train, brakes, poor quality drive train , wheels, poor quality drive train, no rear disc option, poor quality drive train, cabels are 'mudsuckers'

The 1st time I saw this bike, I got an erection.

The 1st time I biked with it, I came.

After the +/- 100rd time, I didn't come anymore. Drivetrain died, crank fell off, brakes ate mud.

So I decided to change to XTR (de grote volksverneukerij) and MAVIC CROSSROC UST TUBELESS.
With the XTR it works slightly better, but XTR is not cheap.
About the CROSSROC's: go get them, NOW.

After the repairs: I got an erection again...

(Sorry for my poor English. I learned from Mister Honig.)

Trek Y-33 (s-l-o-w)

[Jan 06, 2000]
Scott McEnespy

OVERALL
Strength:

Can easily be converted into a quite usable and versatile play bike.
Good geometry for technical descents when coupled with a short stem and long travel forks.
Quick in the twisties.

Many pivots, bushings, and joints to wear out.
A tad bit on the noisy side.
Unfortunatly comes in an uncomfortable, hunched over, cross country style set up.

This bike turned out to be one of the funnest play bikes I have ridden. It is amazing how much more fun mountain biking can be when you feel more comfortable and upright and in direct control of the front end.

Santa Cruz Heckler
Stumpjumper Hardtail
Klein Mantra Comp.(Yucky)

[Jul 22, 1999]
Jeromy Claridge

OVERALL
Strength:

The bike is light, fast and has little rearend movement associated with other dualies

Firstly this bike costs more than $4500 here in Australia (if you can get one). Luckily I picked it up in the States, so unless you count the 35% import tax that I was supposed to pay I am somewhat better off. Before I say anything bad about the bike I would like to state that I think this bike is one of the very best you can get for racing and training cross-country. The tires that came with the bike were extremely skittish (especially the front) but are very light, roll fast and corner well on gravel. I have lost several teeth on the large cog at the front and the rear quickrelease slides forward under high loads, no matter how much I tighten it. Under extreme descents the bike is pushed past its limits, with the front forks becoming a little too flexible and the rear pivots making a loud knocking noise. The bushings on the pivot that meet with the shock from the rear end are pretty dodgy, if not alligned exactly right (which can happen under normal riding) allow sideways movement of the shock. The rear shock should be covered up immediately to prevent scratching of the piston - it is in the prime position to get loaded up with everything comming off the rear tire. The bike is fairly small and you should get a larger size than normal (I find that the XL is only just big enough 6'3). The pedals are pretty ordinary, the front of the cleat catches when disengaging. It takes a little while to set the bike up just right, but it is soo sweet when it's done. If I was a betting man I'd back this pony every time!!!!!

[Jul 19, 1999]
Andrew

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, good climber, strong brakes, comfortable for long rides (thanks to the Fox Vanilla shock), SID is light, XT/XTR group.

Tires, Pedals, Chainrings.

Start with the bad experiences first:
Tires: I don't know what sort of terrain the tires are useful for but they are diffinately no good for anything muddy, loose or even slightly wet. They work OK on the road but then I have a road bike for that! They slip very very badly over wet muddy terrain, especially tree roots and rocks. Swapped out the front for a Michellin Wildgripper and now I can steer the bike. No joke, it became a new bike when I did this. Waiting for my dealer to find me a rear Michellin because the rear still slides alot. I am sure the tires are good for something else SBC would not have shipped the product with them, right? Ahem....well maybe not.
Pedals: Swapped for Time ATACs (5 stars for them) much to the delight of my feet and knees. The shipped pedals seemed to be so far apart (maybe to prevent calf rub on the rear brake cable) that I felt like I was riding a camel. I had to modify the shoes to prevent this, but still had problems. Also, they clog easily with mud and debris and have a tendancy to release under extreme upwards pressure (much to the chargrin of my knee that hit the handlebar on accidental release once, that put me out for a week or two and I still have muscle tissue scaring). The ATACs behave more predictably and are reliable. Swap the pedals immediately.
Chainrings: I don't know where SBC got the chainrings from but they are crap. Can someone tell me how you can shear a tooth off the middle chainring without there being some sort of impact. I mean, I ride strong but not that strong. They must be made of plastic. I have never sheared a CR off any other bike I have ridden in my life so these must be crap.
Seat: Broke the seat in the first ride after a very minor fall. This was replaced gratis and have not had a problem since.
Wicked cable stretch: Not much anyone can do about that, but why can't they pre-stretch the cables?
Rear Brake Calf rub: The bike fixed this by replacing the spaces on the brake pads with thinner washes, but an annoying oversight by SBC.
Noisy brakes: They squelled like a pig until I toed them. A brake booster helped alot but was not the final solution. Time and attention to the brake setup was the only solution, though should I have to do that? And what about the people who don't know how to do that? They will be riding squealing pigs for the rest of their lives. Poor bast%^&s.
XT/XTR drivetrain: I expected better performance from this penultimate combination from Shimano. I have never had a problem from Ultegra on my Road bike and that's done over 15,000 km in 2 years. Don't get me wrong, XT/XTR is good, but I expected better. Maybe I was spoilt with Ultegra.
Now the good:
The bike does ride exceptionally well when it goes. It's like the little girl with the little curl. Climbs up hills better than hardtails (the rear suspension tracks very well when setup to your weight/riding conditions). I have had no problem with the front or rear shock. They (like almost every square inch of the bike) need attention for setup, though once done it is a good combination. The rear in particular needs attention though performs well. Be careful with the rebound, it can throw you off the bike if set too fast through terrain requiring lots of jumping.
I did need a shock pump though don't think SBC should have included it. I mean, you don't get a tire pump with every new bike do you. I would prefer it if they spent the money on better components.
I (cautiously) let a very experienced (and crazy) MTB friend ride it and he took off down the hills like it was his last ride. He was throughly impressed with its decending abilities and handling (he is still a hardtail rider, poor boy). I personally am not that experienced so I can't vouch for the fast decending part, though I can outclimb him easily when he's on his hardtail. Given another 6 months and he doesn't stand a chance anywhere.
Overall, a great bike let down by some poor components. Specialized should stick to making frames and not re-badging inferior OEM components. A full Shimano group, with Michellin Tires and ATAC pedals would be a KA bike with better reliability.

GT Zasker and GT I-Drive, Various Scott and Specialized hardtails and Specialized FSR

[Jul 18, 1999]
Matt

OVERALL
Strength:

Light/Quick

Tires
Cranks

Follow-up to Feb. 6 review. Owned bike 6 months now - still impressed with quickness. Stock tires are complete shite - replaced with WTB Raptors - I can actually climb now. Specialized cranks are a major disappointment - have already lost two teeth on the big ring, and one on the middle - am riding an xtra large bike (but only weigh 165). Accordingly, no excuse for this lack of durability. I still consider this a good cross-country bike, but you can expect to spend additional $ on the shock pump and to shore up the FSR XC Pro's glaring weaknesses.

Various hardtails
Kona Stinky
Specialized FSR

[Jul 16, 1999]
M. Carson

OVERALL
Strength:

Lightwieght solid frame, Shimano XTcomponent mix, FSR active suspension, Air Vanilla R. That bitchen' Gloss Black paint job, my fave.

That shitty Sid fork, The poor excuse for a headset, rear brake cable calf rub,and rear shock knock.

I can race one weekend ( 5th/25) .Freeride all week , do an Epic (100km's) the next weekend . It climbs exceptionally well with the Sid , however the same Sid shits itself down the scary stuff. I race a couple of times ayear , ride hard another 250+ days. Put the Z-1 on , 5* rise stem replaced 10*. Still climbs great, just not the vertical stuff. But when you point this puppy down your in for a ride that can handle boulder strewn ultra steep chutes, you name it . Very high grin factor ! Rock solid , point and shoot steering, dependable , light , fast , Fast, FAST ! ( My shop swapped me the R/F headset, Z-1 Bam, no extra charge). It just dosen't get any better !

Raven, Joshua.my ol' hardtail.

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.