Klein 2001 Adept Comp Full Suspension Bike

The Adept Comp is stiffer than other dual suspension short travel bikes, and offers better climbing and traction on steep ascents or descents. It is equipped with solid components and wheels that allow for smooth shifting, fast climbing, and improved performance.

[Jun 17, 2011]
sbrdude1

OVERALL
Strength:

As others stated before me the paint job is beautiful. I weigh about 230 lbs but the frame still rides good, a bit softer than when I was 180 lbs. Great geometry for fast technical riding like single track and XC. Rolf Satellite wheels are pretty well designed. I only had to true them once in 10 years!

Horrible stock components!!! Dump the Manitou SX fork in the trash. Bontrager Race stem, seat post, and crankest are boat anchors! I bent my small chain ring on the front while shifting on a moderate fire road climb. Shimano Rapid Fire Shifting Pods never were that precise and stripped out pretty quickly. Cut your steer tube short because while you have plenty of rear traction on climbs the front can lift so stay away from riser bars as well.

After all of the upgrades I dumped into this it rides like a racing dream. I think after all the costs from upgrading and what I paid for this new I'm $3500 invested which isn't bad considering it's sub 26lbs and a large frame. The frame is worth its weight in gold because I've ridden this baby hard and took a couple of spills but only have minor scratches (for all the cats whining about scratches get a frame protection kit from www.crankskins.com) I still don't have any dents in the frame. Whenever I hit trails I get stopped because people always trip out on my bike due to it's age and the fact that it still kills 90% of the new frames on the market and looks better as well! The value was only 3 chilis because of all the crap stock components but got a 5 chili rating due to all of the upgrades and current ride quality. Next rig is a Specilized Stumpjumper S-Works Carbon.

First high end FS ride.

[Jun 14, 2003]
rl

OVERALL
Strength:

frame, paint job and weight

fork, tires, brakes

this bike rocks! love the paint too. climbing is where this bike shines. hardly noticed any bobbing. it almost rides like a hardtail. you can getaway with the stock set up, but for a more aggressive riding, some components has to go.
i had a shifting problems at the front but after calling klein for technical help they recommended swapping a 113x110 bb. since then. it shifts flawlessly.

trek 8000, klein attitude

[Jun 12, 2003]
J.T.

OVERALL
Strength:

Frame, weight, shocks, paint job.

Drivetrain, Seat clamp, tires.

This bike is so comfortable to ride on bumpy tails and is an excellent climber. The Jamacian Gold paint job is hot. Biggest complaint is the shifting, the Bontragger front gears suck. The tires are weak also, they have very low tread and dont hold well on dry dirt, I've slid out numerous times. For Chain Reactions $999 deal though, I can't complain!

[Mar 24, 2002]
E

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, stiff & responsive frame, klein reputation.

Components for price.

This bike really takes the edge off. I was looking for a little cushion, as I am getting older and do not like the jackhammer feel as much as I used to. I did not want or need anything with barcalounger comfort, that would suffer on the climbs. This bike climbs with great aplumb. I can't wait to take it out to the high counrty this summer to really test it. I will post later on that. I also chose this frame because I do not like to mess with a bunch of settings, with this I just pump it up and go. This is my third Klein and first full suspension bike,I chose a medium frame to mimic the lightening quickness of my old 89' Pinnicle, I feel that I have achieved this with the parts I have added. It is more like the Adept Pro, but at half the cost and over a pound lighter at 23.3 lbs.

Trek fuel 90, Fisher sugar 2

[Mar 08, 2002]
RastaMoha

OVERALL
Strength:

Rides smooooooooth. Frame is very responsive and tight, just the way I like em'! Great to look at but even better to ride.

Components suck. I replaced everything except the frame.

Rides like your impure thoughts. This bike likes it dirty and will keep you smiling. Ride one and you'll know what I am talking about.

Who cares. I ended up buying the Klein!

[Mar 01, 2002]
Matthew

OVERALL
Strength:

Stiff frame. This bike is not for the serious mountain biker who is planning on doing sick drops, but the bike is responsive and easy to handle, which is exactly what I was looking for.

Components, but I only paid $1,000 so I can't even really complain about that.

Great bike that I got at a great price. But the frame is so nice you can't help but eye upgrading those components.

Trek 80, Giant NRS 2, Specialized Stumpjumper FSRxc (2001 model)

[Sep 14, 2003]
Bob Doust

OVERALL
Strength:

Great XC bike, Climbs like a dream, Stiff and solid,Excellent value and it looks hot!

Drive train and wheels leave much to be desired

This was my first full suspension bike and going from a Specialized hard tail to this, I noticed only improvements. This bike can climb better than my old hard tail, it is very light, considering the components and it can handle like a dream. Absolute delight to ride for XC conditions.

I would however like to upgrade the deralleurs to XTR and the wheels set to Mavics, but I don't think my level of riding at this point warrants the extra cash!

If you are looking for a good value XC ride with great handling and sexy looks, and if you would like it to carry the Klein name, you can not go wrong with this bike.

Specialized Rock Hopper, GF Sugar

[Dec 22, 2001]
steve reilly

OVERALL
Strength:

Stiff and tight frame with Klein craftmanship

Components are weak

Outstanding frame that makes getting the bike in your hands worthwhile. Yes, the components are not up to serious xc standards. THis is a perfect bike for someone with parts they wish to put on a nice frame.
I have not had problems wiht the paint. I do my best to keep it well waxed (makes the paint more chip resistant).

This frame is so smooth and stiff that it makes navigating tough, rooty singletrack much less burdensome than on any other bike I have ridden. I am a better rider on this bike. By the way, I have ugraded significantly and have still yet to drop the bike under 26 pounds - it is an xl size though with a zoke. Oh, and yes, I have to give it the ole "but it rides lighter." I laugh when people say that, but this does ride "lighter". I guess I understand now.

Buy it if: you appreciate a first class, stiff frame, and do not mind upgrading (like ... uh, right away)
Forget it if: you want a light xc fs bike off the rack

Trek Fuel 90

[Sep 10, 2001]
Mark

OVERALL
Strength:

Great frame and geometry

Iffy components

First time out in 2 years on a mountain bike and did this baby move. It was wet and loose and this bike climbed like no tomorrow. I figured after two years of not riding I would have a hard time, but this bike was smoking everyone else. Tracked great both up and down hills and turned great. I do wish that the initial components were better, but with my upgrades this bike rocked. I got a medium frame for my 5'11" height and flipped the stem 180 degrees to lenghten the cage :) for $1300 stock, year end sale, it rocks and is pretty.

n/a

[Sep 04, 2001]
David

OVERALL
Strength:

Stiff, light frame. Great steering. Very responsive and quick. Low-travel suspension smooths out the bumps without turning the ride to mush. Gorgeous paint.

Low-grade parts spec for the money (still better than anything I've owned before...)

This is an update to the review I posted about 2 weeks ago, after my first testride: After 3 more testrides, and thoroughly checking out the competition, I bought the Adept Comp.

Riding other bikes, and re-, re-, re-riding the Adept pretty much confirmed my initial impressions. Although I really liked both the Superlight and the Fuel, I liked the stiff, responsive feel of the Adept even more. I also liked the slightly stretched-out (Genesis-esque?) riding position on the Adept more than the more traditional upright position on the Superlight and Fuel. But speaking of Genesis, the more I rode the Sugar, the less I liked it, especially the slow steering. And I cared for the Stumpjumper not at all; Bouncy and ugly.

The Superlight suffered in my comparison because I didn't have a chance to ride it off-road (no Boston dealers!) or head-to-head with any other bikes. It was also $1700 for starters. If I hadn't been able to get a very good deal on the Adept, I probably would have bought the Fuel 90 for $1300 with few regrets.

I'm surprised this bike hasn't received more attention. It seems to be a very worthwhile refinement of the Sugar; All the advantages of that bike, but stiffer, lighter, and with better steering.

After a few flogs on some tricky trails, I haven't uncovered any bad behaviors. And the paint held up fine on my first fall... I'm very pleased with this bike! Five chilis!!

Dualies: Fuel 90, Sugar 2 & 3, Stumpjumper FSR, Santa Cruz Superlight. Hardtails: Stumpjumper M4, Klein Attitude.

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.