Giant 2000 Warp DS1 Full Suspension Bike

mountain bike, front & rear suspension, Mountain Mix components, Rock Shox Judy XC, 2.5"-4.0" adjustable travel fork

[Apr 27, 2013]
Paul D. Hall

OVERALL
Strength:

Tough, comfortable and great value (dual suspension and disc brakes for less than $1k)

heavy, stiff suspension and mechanical brakes (cables stretch during intense rides reducing braking capability)

This bike was exactly what I was looking for and was under budget (dual suspension and disc brakes). I upgraded the rear shock to Fox Racing and replaced the mechanical brake system with Hayes hydraulic disc brakes and lines. Result is amazing, still a bit heavy, but this bike made it through a week of torture at Whistler. That includes the "Bone Yard" and "Dirt Merchant"!!!!

[Nov 07, 2001]
Ray

OVERALL

Giant Came through on the warranty. They said that it wasnt really a crack, but they gave me a new fame anyways, 2002 DS2 frame at that.

Go Giant

[Oct 21, 2001]
Ray

OVERALL
Strength:

Great looking bike, Smooth ride, weight,

The judys could do with a higher rate spring, front disc a bit squealy, FRAME CRACKED AT THE REAR SHOCK MOUNT ON MY 3rd RIDE.

Great bike execpt for the weak frame. I have only had the bike for about 2 or 3 months and it has never been bashed about. After my 3rd ride, on only mild XC the rear shock mount weld has started cracking.
Hopefully Giant will follow through with the warranty. I will let you know.
Great bike for the price, but really, really annoyed about the frame!!!!

[Sep 03, 2001]
Gwyn Evans
Downhiller

OVERALL
Strength:

Not a lot when i baught it. It looked good with the triple crown forks and rear suspension. The frame is sturdy good tyres.

The pedals (toe clips), forks (sr suntour triple clamps), wheels (formula on alexrims),brakes (formula md 1 mechanical, half pipe shifters

The bike looks good at first and when you first experience it, it gets better. however, after a while the brakes start to squeek the wheels feel weak and the forks need a lot of servicing when the money just isn't worth spending. Upgrade on the frame and then finally upgrade the frame. After all this you've finally got a bike worth shouting about.

99 specialized FSR

[Jul 27, 2001]
Andrew Sulu

OVERALL
Strength:

Loyal, dependable.

Blind faith.

I am your Giant Warp DS1. You complain about my braking ability and my weak frame. Well, Let me tell you a few things. I am a relatively light bike- because thats what you want. I am very strong for my weight, however, when your chalupa scarfing, hefeweizen sucking, non exercising for days on end blobbiness gets on me- I get a little stressed. Then, to top it off you smash me around with very little or no technique. You get on me, run me down hills and lock the brake levers, I want to stop, really I do. It's just a little hard with all that mass you've loaded on me pushing against my best efforts. Then, when you careen me off a four foot drop onto a hard flat surface or when you make a mistake and overshoot a corner- ramming me into a tree, you complain that I break? What do you expect? Before you convict me of being inferior why don't you consider taking a few simple steps to help me help you. Learn to ride and lose some weight. Fatazz.

[Sep 19, 2000]
scott

OVERALL
Strength:

great bike for a beginner, but also agreeable to upgrades as your skill improves and you start breaking things. good looks, nice suspension, durable frame, fat tires for fast downhilling. no real problems with the components until the past few weeks. a year of pounding and grinding will do that, but overall I've had few problems.

a bit heavy, didn't like the mech disc brakes at all--squealed like pigs and were too difficult to tune; sounds like they've been recalled--wish the dudes at the bike store had mentioned that instead of selling me on a new set of xt v-brakes...don't suppose it matters now. Also, probably don't need disc brakes in the desert...
ditch the pedals and buy something clipless

a great bike that keeps getting better as I upgrade worn out components. a bike you can learn on, but you will want to replace things as you go. things break--learn to live with that. I would've looked silly pushing a 2k bike around 'cos I wasn't much of a rider a year ago. now i appreciate the subtle differences between lx, xt and xtr. the brakes had to go, or i would've killed myself. my wife bought this bike for me and she did a great job, she's also been very tolerant of the different upgrades to date (which will be necessary given the pounding you'll want to do). oh yeah, it also looks cool...

trek, gt xcr4000

[May 02, 2001]
Jason S.

OVERALL
Strength:

Full suspension.

Frame is flawed (and Giant admits it and has corrected it for 2001) and broke in half!!!!
Also had a VERY insufficient fork!!!

Unless you're light, and don't really ride hard AT ALL, don't get this year of bike!

[Apr 26, 2001]
Eric Didier

OVERALL

8 months into this bike, and now about 2100 miles later.
The frame has cracked in 3 places. I admit that I'm not your average rider, but I don't think I've ridden as hard as I could have. Giant will hopefully honor thier warranty and give me a new frame.
The Brakes were upgraded, a cost that i had hoped Giant would have paid for. Nothing but praise for the Hayes mechanical disks. Stopping power is amazing.

For the money, this is one heck of a deal! The 2001 model is an even better deal than the 2000. It looks like they worked out most of the bugs.
If other Warp DS1 owners read this, check your frame!

[Apr 27, 2001]
Simon

OVERALL
Strength:

Forks and setup

Rear fork makes noise

This review is on the 2001.

This bike is great for the price (oh ya its in canadian dollars) The bike is medium weight and the forks are great (marsocchi bomber z.5 coil) the bike feals light when your riding it. Its just a great bike for the price. Oh ya the rear for (gtm 7) makes clinging noises on and bump.

crapy minelli

[May 21, 2001]
AL

OVERALL
Strength:

Good value. Decent components for the price. Hayes mech disk brakes, Marzocci z.5, 2.5 inch tires, comes with a pretty beefy rear spring. SRAM cassette and rear der. work good.

weight, SRAM half-pipes.

This is the 2001 DS1. This bike is a lot of fun to ride. I ride most anywhere, dirt roads, trails and single tracks. I am just a beginner, but this bike has been problem free and easy to work on. The hayes brakes stick like glue once they break in. The rear shock has a lot of adjustability, I have it preloaded about 1/2 inch and it is plenty stiff. The dampener is not there for looks, it performs well.

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.