Whyte Bikes Whyte 46 All Mountain Full Suspension

• Brake Levers: Hope Hydraulic Disc
  • Crankset: Shimano XT, 44/32/22
  • Rims: Mavic XM 717 Disc, 32 Hole
  • Spokes: DT Double Butted 14-15
  • Tyres: Continental Gravity Pro 26 X 2.3"
  • Seatpost: Whyte 2014 Alloy, 31.6mm X 350mm
  • Saddle: SDG Comp Bel-Air

[Apr 07, 2019]
Oldmanwithwheels

OVERALL
Strength:

Had mine since 2008. Maverik forks. Had XTR from new as replacement for what it shipped with. Also have Alpine link. It's very stable downhill, quick enough for me, anyway- I wouldn't want to push the speed much more but I know the bike could do it. I also had different wider rims than the standard ones offered and I reckon that helps stability as I'd read that the supplied wheels and tyre could feel a bit unstable in corners. It really shifts downhill and is very stable due to the Alpine link and it's fairly light too. Overall it's a very comfortable ride. I wont be changing it anytime soon- although I can see the benefits of a single front ring!

There are two minuses to my 46. In order of annoyance; 1. The front end wanders on uphill climbs. I guess it's due to the long stem, Alpine link and lack of speed haha! 2. It's really tricky to set up the front mech so there's no rubbing. I can get it right for the middle ring but then it scrapes on the big ring and smallest rear cog and the again on the granny ring and from fourth rear cog. The solution has been to either take it to the genius in Matlock -Aidan- ( who no longer works there dammit)- or set it up so I have to compromise on ratios available. So yes- a single front ring must be bliss if you are a bit OCD about things mechanical! I still love it until it breaks. Then i'm probably going road bike only. A nice BMC Carbon Road Machine, probably.......well.. maaaayyybeee..............

Price Paid:
more than list due to mod
Purchased:
New
Model Year:
2008
[Jul 04, 2009]
deanmor

OVERALL
Strength:

comfort, handling, durability, looks, climbing ability, braking, tracking

Front shock seals - I've fitted Enduro seals, and haven't had a problem since. Paint has chipped easily.
Original Conti tyres. Non-UST rims.

I bought the bike some 3 years ago, and then hardly used it. I've just recently got back into cycling, and having replaced the front fork seals with Enduro seals, and have started riding the bike hard. At first I didn't like the bike as much as my NRS, but now that I've spent the time in setting the bike up properly, I absolutely love the bike! I'm a heavy rider (110kgs) and this bike can handle all I can throw at it (I'm an experienced single track rider, and I work the bike hard through the twisties). The braking is superb, the forks are stiff and the bike tracks extremely well through bumpy bends, and one of the best aspects is being able to continue pedalling seated even on very bumpy descents. Whether it be flat, hard pack, soft, climbs or descents this bike is very, very competent.

If you're loooking for a bike that is capable of all terrain, this is a great buy. This bike also excels at handling heavier riders.

I've fitted tubeless kits and now run Kenda Nevegal tyres, and the bike handles a treat.

Giant NRS1

[Nov 11, 2006]
adrian james

OVERALL
Strength:

This bike just feels glued to any trail up or down. There is very little bob riding up step hills

The paint chips very easly and for the amount of money the bike cost should have been powder-coated.
The continental tyres feel as if they want to slide of the rims when pushed hard on corners

This bike is great at high speeds down hill and will frighten the life out of you, but at the same time give you a great smile, knowing it can be pushed even harder if required
My bike has been riden hard and had nothing major gone wrong.
I hope i call still have few more years of fun riding on this bike.

dainese race cut,raceface roach fR leg armour,
Marin rocky ridge

[May 24, 2007]
Tony Chau

OVERALL
Strength:

Plush, light and very good in climbing and descending step single trails

insulate you too much from the trail that sometimes push you over your limit

As I am getting older, I want something light that can get me up the climbs and something plush that saves my back. The Whyte 46 lets me do all that and I can now go down on much steeper stuff that I couldn't do before.

I had a lot of trouble in the beginning with front disc rubbing and binding but a quick email to Maverick (great support) sorted me out. (Should read the manual on how to put the front wheels back properly and always clip the disc side first!)

After riding it for more than a year and taking it to various man-made and natural trails in UK, I don't think I can find a better all mountain machine.

The spec. is spot on and I have not need to change anything. If you want a light 6in FS bike that can climb, this one is it!

Marin Mount Vision

[Aug 13, 2006]
Mike L'Alouette

OVERALL
Strength:

As an all rounder, very hard to beat ! It's still light at 30lbs, has plenty of travel, stops and goes well almost everywhere.

Original seat was hard. Currently trying a SDG RL - better but still a bit hard after about 2 1/2 hours .....
The cross-bar can still be a little high if you come off quick - watch yer nuts !

Some people criticise the forks for flexing somewhat. They do a little. But you gotta be tonkin' it quite a bit to feel it. I have no complaints on the bike though.
I've been through stuff I would have bailed out of most spectacularily on my old bike, so I can't say enough praise about this one. The suspension needs to be played with to find the best results, and these will vary person to person .....
I borrowed a Marin TARA (Wolf Ridge ?) bike and an original '04 version of the Whyte 46 for a full day before I bought this, an '05 46. There was soooo much difference between the two. The Marin was good, but the 46 was the most cerntainly better !
I bought my bike in the UK and paid £2700 - currently about $5130 (@ $1.90 to the £)

Borrowed a Marin TARA bike and an '04 Whyte 46 before buying this, an '05 46.

[Jul 06, 2006]
Gaz Saunds

OVERALL
Strength:

A great all rounder that begs to be pushed to its limits and beyond. The front fork, the frame stiffness, ease of maintenance i.e. there aint hardly any, the wheels etc. The brakes, whoa they are good in 6 inch or 4 inch travel.

The seat, was a tad rubbish so i've upgraded to a Specialised body geometry. Trying to fit a bottle, or a speedometer or anything to this bike is a nightmare as it is so custom in its construction, even my roof rack had to be rebuilt to make the bike fit. Dont need the TARA system as the 6 inch does all you want it to! Had to change the stem bolts as they were cheap steel and not stainless so got some titanium, you cant them but i know they are there :)

This bike has seen me back out on the trails as I couldn't be bothered last year. I sulk when i cant get out at least once a week on this bike. You tend to stop looking at magazines when you have this bike as every bling bling item you have ever wanted is on this bike. Hitting trails and you wont tire of the bike, doing downhill and it will take it, uphills - as long as you put the front into 4 inch mode you can climb and climb, just stand up and keep tramming up hills.
People complain about the paint coming off, well yeah when its being hit by all sorts of grit and brick when riding your bound to get the odd chip, the only thing I'd say is on the back swing arm fit a lizard skin chain stay protector and cut it into 2 parts, 1 part is 2/3 rds and the other 1/3 rd chain stay will be fine then and you dont wince when the chain slaps the frame whilst your bombing down Cromford incline at 50 MPH - er yes thats 50mph - tram on kids!

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.