Turner 5 Spot All Mountain Full Suspension

TheTurner 5.Spot revolutionizedTheTrail bike class in 2003 and now, several years later, it continuesTo raiseThe bar for unparalleled ride quality. WithThe addition ofThe dw-link and updatedTrail geometry,The 5 Spot pedals like a xc rocket while still handling like a gravity built machine.The dw-link isThe only design onThe marketThat is ableTo control unwanted bob and still remain active in more gear combinationsThan any other design. Dave Weagle has been refiningThe mathematics of optimum pivo

[May 05, 2019]
mrbmoats

OVERALL
Strength:

I buy, fix and flip bikes. I have ridden $100 bikes and $6k bikes. I have been on trails in Colorado since 1992. This bike is my all time favorite. In April of 2019 I flipped 10 bikes. I used my profits to purchase a used 2011 Turner 5spot. That will remain my go to trail bike. Hands down the DW link (and other similar designs) are the best suspensions from a performance standpoint. They are not the easiest or cheapest to maintain but the are the best performing. You can tell me that the 5spot has an outdated wheel size, outdated components, geometry and I'll respond..."shut your mouth and ride the bike". It just falls right on the trail. Turner bikes offers a trade in program whe wherein you can trade in an old damaged abused frame and get $600 towards the purchase of a new frame. So the frame is always worth at least $600.

They're expensive when new. Long term maintenance of the pivot points require special tools and money.

Price Paid:
Purchased:
Used
Model Year:
2011
[Aug 30, 2014]
shupack

OVERALL
Strength:

one bike to rule them all!

stickers don't hold up to the abuse

Some day I'll send it back to the factory for a refresh, repaint and laser-etched graphics, but I don't want to be without it that long. I've had many bikes over the last 20 years, and this is hands down my favorite.

trek fuel, trek Y-frame (total crap), GT zaskar, Trek 830, several other unimpressive bikes i can't remember

[Aug 20, 2013]
Riding In Israel

OVERALL
Strength:

Do anything bike

Have not found any yet, only been 8 years!

I bought this bike in 2005 and have ridden a lot. For many years I was riding 5-6 times a week, each ride 15-35 km. Now I only ride about 3 rides a week. The setup has evolved over the years. When I upgraded from a Marin I swapped over a lot of the parts. Now I think it is perfect, well after I get my Gravity Dropper.
My local trails, ie out the back door are all hilly. My 5 Spot climbs great and then the fun starts. I am always amazed at the lines I can take and the ones I get on by mistake and make it! This bike soaks it all up! I love that I can do aggressive XC and killer single track and never feel like my bike is too much or too little. If you want a do anything bike this is the one.
Turner's customer service is unequaled. I have had great experiences with them and my buddy has broken a few parts and they always stand behind their stuff!

[Oct 30, 2012]
Brock Ainsworth

OVERALL
Strength:

Ride quality, rigidity, versatility, durability, its a great bike

Weight, rear triangle hits seat tube on some large hits.

I have been an avid rider for about 18 years and have ridden a lot of different bikes over the years. I wanted a bike that suited my riding style, which is primarily very aggressive XC/All mountain/ and some freeride. I live in the midwest, and my daily rides are very rocky rooty singletrack with + and - 100 to 200 feet in elevation. It seems the chosen bike around here is a short travel 29er or hardtail. These bikes are fine for most people, but I'm not a racer and I like to drop off things, and jump. I also spend quite a bit of time riding all over the mountain west and when I go out west I want to ride the longest decents and most technical trails I can find from bike parks to epic mountain trails. In a nutshell I wanted one bike that could be as versatile as I needed and this 5 spot is it. No, it isn't an XC carbon fiber rocket, nor is it a 7 inch freeride bike, but for a guy like me that rides everything, it does a hell of a good job.

After running a 140mm fork on it for about 4 months, I decided to go for a used Fox VAN 160 with a straight steertube. This was a great decision. It took a few rides to get used to the change but the bike feels so good with this fork. It raised the BB a tad and it just rips downhills and rails corners. I have no problem riding this bike on XC trails and I've had no problem riding bike parks either. This bike is exactly what I wanted. Its versatile, durable and climbs like a goat. This is the bike to have if you wanted the coveted "ONE" bike. If you have the $$$ for two sets of wheels, you can really set this bike up for anything. I would really like to get a coil shock for the rear for riding more downhill, but the RP23 does a pretty good job overall.

After riding a 4 bar Kona Dawg for about 7 years and riding the trails of Teton pass one summer, I realized I needed a more capable bike. The first ride on Spot blew my mind, the suspension just glued the rear wheel to the trail and the stiffness was amazing. If you just want an excellent, aggressive bike, this is the one to go with. I found mine very lightly used on ebay for 1200 bucks, so I feel I got an amazing deal. I don't know if I could swing the 2500 retail, but if you look hard enough you can find last years models or used models. Had a very slight issue with the reducers in the bushings, contacted Turner, had excellent service every time I have contacted them. Great bike, great company and looks tough and industrial. Buy it.

[Oct 19, 2012]
Vespasianus

OVERALL
Strength:

Good climber. American made. Room for wide tires. Good all around bike. Stiff. Did I mention American made? Straight 44mm head tube give lot of room to modify geometry.

Not really great in any one area. More controlled than plush. Heavy.

So, I have had the bike for close to a year now and feel that I know it enough to write a review on it. I purchased the frame when they had the blow outs last year and always wanted a turner and felt that at those prices, I could not pass it up. So for $1500, the frame came to my door. I had a LBS build the bike and overall, it went without a hiccup. I previously rode a Titus ML and used many of those components for the Turner. Initially, I ran the bike with a 160mm Manitou Nixon (20mm front). While that bike was nice and felt pretty bomb proof, I eventually moved to a 145mm Nixon (20 mm) that was more suited for my terrain, which involves more climbing that ball out descending.

The bike takes some time to break in, about 25-50 hours, which is not a bad thing. It seem like many people have had bushing issues and it is a bit of a waiting game in the beginning but luckily for me, my bike did seem to get plusher. I had previously ridden a dw linked Iron Horse and did not like the peddle feedback in the granny gear. This feedback is still present (albeit to a lesser degree) in the 5 spot. When I first started riding the Spot, you could feel and hear the chain tightening in the granny. However, after a while, I got used to it and it no longer seems to bother me. Also, and more importantly, you don't really need the granny gear on this bike. You can hammer and grunt in the middle ring and the anti-squat will keep you going forward. This is very different from a HL type bike where you need to spin to avoid the squat (bob).

The bike is a good climber. The frame is still heavy and the geometry is not totally favorable for climbing but the bike is still a good climber. Technical climbing is good as well. However, you have to be careful and put the power down at the right time as the system does seem to firm up and is not as good of a technical climber as a HL type bike, but it is not bad by any means.

From a rear suspension point of view, it is not bad. The ride is more controlled than plush. The 5 inches feel exactly like that and in no way shape or form would I call it bottomless. Small and medium sized hits are taken much better than bigger hits. I have shimmed the shock as well and this helps with bottom out but I think PUSH will be needed to really sort out the rear of this bike. As it stands, the RP23 has no middle and either blows through its travel or pings off things. In many ways, I would say it is about as plush than my old ML, which had a PUSHed and highly tuned shock. Taking this further, the overall ride of the Spot is similar to the ML when ridden with PP on. This is not a bad thing at all, as Spot has better geometry and is much stiffer than my old bike.

Overall, the 5-spot is a very good bike that is at home on many different trails. You can ride an extremely technical trail one day and a groomed single track the next and the bike will work nicely in both. Is it everything I hoped it would be? No, not really. I was probably expecting too much, but it is a really good bike and one that I would highly recommend.

Titus Motolite, Specialized FSR, Santa Cruz Blut LT, GT Sensor, GT Force.

[Aug 21, 2012]
Funkrodent

OVERALL
Strength:

Climbs very well. Descends superbly. Is very forgiving. Superb control, corners on a sixpence/dime. Very stiff, yet very comfortable, can be flicked around and yet holds the line with composure when needed. DW Link. Great geometry. Is outright fun, fun fun!

Lets you/makes you go fast, fast, fast. Sometimes too fast :)

Spent ages upon ages researching a full suspension bike. Tested quite a few (Trance, Fuel, Stumpy etc), the 5 just felt better in every way (up, down, around, along etc). But the price! Found a 2010 frame in the sales, bought it and built it up. Been riding it now in NW UK. Big hills (not Colorado, but big enough), lots of rocks, mud, loose surfaces, rain, climbing, descending, barrelling along. The bike is superb, and in hindsight wouldn't change a thing. In fact it is so good that I am now seriously considering buying a Flux too. Previous to this I had a Cannondale hardtail that climbed like the proverbial goat and I have to say that my main concern re full suspension (lack of climbing ability) has been sorted by the spot which got me up a climb in Wales yesterday that I had never got up on the hardtail. I'd say its worth every penny and then some.

Tested the Trance, Fuel and Stumpy (2011 models)

[May 05, 2012]
moses

OVERALL
Strength:

the best bike ever

non

I bought the frame about six months ago, a simple round tubes , DW suspension
Soft pleasant and responds exactly where needed
Very bike slightly uphill and Rsitliim very enjoyable and falls
Just fun

trek fuel ex 8, intense 5.5 evp

[Apr 30, 2012]
2holdens

OVERALL
Strength:

strong, well engineered, astonishing climber, wicked descender

slightly heavy? but it doesn't matter in practice

After 15 years of mountain biking and who knows how many bikes and frames., I found it. this is it.

I settled on this frame as Turner truly cater for the shorter rider with ample stand over, and a short head tube. That and the engineering, serviceability and DW link. So many brands out there have inexplicably long head tubes which make the front end wander on climbs, and frame sizes too large for anyone under 5'7". This bike addresses these issues and excels.

It was admittedly a toss up between this and the pivot 5.7, but the turner won out in the end . The factors that swayed me were the journal bearings; the rugged overbuilt quality (you can run 160mm forks if you like); the endless praise out there; the 44mm head tube on my 2011 model (allowing greater compatibility with forks); cable routing; short head tube; geometry; longer top tube; brake connectors and standard BB threading. the pivot in my size would've left me with a shorter TT (and felt cramped), press fit BB, sealed bearings, less fork compatibility, and having to run a longer stem, though it would've been a little lighter.

This bike took a little fiddling with rear shock pressures, but once I found the right setting it was fine. What blew me away was the climbing. There is NO noticeable bob in climbing, in or out of the seat. Due to the lowered cockpit setup, some very tech steep hairpin climbs I struggled with before are easy now. You will have to work for your climbs as always, but the DW link and geometry really does make it all easier.

Descending, the spot is a friggin rocket. It's less plush in some ways than other bikes I've ridden, but I can use the different shock pressure to ping it off rocks and roots. It loves to be thrown around and leaned in hard to corners. It laughs at jumps and drop offs, and reminds you always that it's faster than you can be. with a 50mm stem, this thing is confidence inspiring.

I love riding this bike. I look around at the other bikes around me on the trails and shake my head, I don't want to ride anything else. And that is a new thing for me.

I recommend this bike for all mountain use, for those that love to go up as much as they like to go down. To anyone who wants the best, most dependable mtb frame out there - one that doesn't fall into the expensive/scary/risky carbon and titanium trap.

many,many frames

[Apr 18, 2012]
turnerrider33

OVERALL
Strength:

Everything.
Climbs extraordinarily well, better than anything else I've ever ridden. Downhill is fast, solid, and extremely accurate. Travel is perfect, including the rear DW link with the RP23 high volume, and the front Fox 32 150mm float. I thought my 2005 5 Spot was amazing until I got on my new 2011 frame. The improvements in 2011 and forward are mind blowing. Light weight for the type of bike. Anodized black! Dave Turner will speak with you if you have a question! Outstanding company to deal with. Made in the USA.

None.

I've owned a 5 Spot since 2005, yet never reviewed the bike for whatever reason. So here it goes. I've owned two 5 Spots. The first was the 2005 version with the horst link, built with Fox DHX 5.0 air rear, Fox Talas 110-130 front, XT groupo, Avid Juicy 7s, and Thomson/King components. I rode this until last year. Over the winter, I built a 2011 5 Spot with the new XT 780/785 mixed groupo, Fox RP23 high volume rear, Fox Float 150 RLC/FIT front, custom King/Stan's Flow wheels, Formula The ONE FR brakes with 180mm rotors, Thomson stem/seatpost, King headset, Easton EC70 carbon bars, Selle Italia Flight seat, and Kenda Nevegal 2.35 tubeless tires. The 2011 build comes in just shy of 31 pounds according to listed weights, but I have not actually weighed it.

I have had the bike out on only two rides, but being a long time 5 Spot owner, I understand the bike pretty well already. I'll spare you my thoughts on every component and focus in on the new rear linkage since that's the main part that jumped out to me while riding (yes, you also have the insanely well built frame, featuring killer welds, large diameter tubing, 1.5-1 1/8 tapered compatible head tube, and many more attributes that I could rave

I was pleasantly shocked during both rides to see that Turner has outdone itself with the new DW rear linkage. Over the winter while I was building the bike, I began to fear that I had overdone the travel, since I would now be sporting 5.5in on the rear and 5.92in on the front. I ride the rocky northeast, so I like travel. But I also like to lead the pack on a 10+ mile ride. Turner's new 5 Spot is a pack leader, and that's probably the only way to explain it. I climbed extremely technical rock sections with it and it blew away my old 5 Spot. The rear linkage kept traction throughout every technical climb and I never felt either that I was bobbing or that I did not get all of the energy I put in to each kick. The climbing ability honestly shocked me. I always thought my old 5 Spot climbed well, but the new build felt significantly better. Its a machine built to climb, and the 5.5 on the rear makes it climb like a it has spider legs touching every rock for every piece of traction available.

Can it go downhill you ask? Down was as buttery smooth as up. I'm running the recommended 150mm front fork, which I highly recommend despite my early trepidations. The 150 pairs extremely well with the 5.5 on the rear. I rode one of my favorite high speed downhill sections last weekend and the bike was extremely agile. The bike lives for speed, which in part probably comes from the slight slackening of the head angle in 2011. All in all, you could not ask for a better downhill machine in the AM range.

One last thing I'd like to point out is Turner as a company. I've called Turner Bikes on probably about 5 occasions. In 2010, I had them rebuild my old Turner, including a repaint to blue and full linkage rebuild. Then I recently called with some questions. Everyone has been great, which is rare for companies these days. Also, at least twice, I've spoken directly with Dave, who's been really helpful. Plus, everything is made in the US.

Conclusion: Honestly, my mind just went blank thinking about what I like most. The conclusion is buy it. It's impossible to go wrong.

[Mar 23, 2012]
Jay

OVERALL
Strength:

A very durable product with a sweet DW suspension system. I like the zerk system.
A very stiff design.
Great company

A little heavy for 5.5" of travel.
Crappy cable routing
Too linear rear shocks needs a sleeve to keep me from blowing through the travel

It sounds like I don't like this bike from above but I like it a lot. A very durable bike. This review is for the 2010. I think the 2011 would be sweet with the 44mm and slightly slacker angles. This poor bike is ridden in muck all the time and comes back for more. Overall, a great product.

I rode a 2003 Turner 5 Spot for many years.

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.