Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon All Mountain Full Suspension

Best Price At

The Nomad has been an integral part of the Santa Cruz line up for long enough to qualify as a modern classic, and the Nomad Carbon X0-1 AM complete bike is just the latest in the storied lineage. Naturally, you get the nearly-indestructible carbon fiber Nomad frame, and it's built up with Fox...

[Aug 24, 2019]
abep2

OVERALL
Strength:

Where do I begin? I remember that feeling I got when I felt my first " crush" as a kid. The butterfly's, daydreams, nervous fluttery feeling all over! Thinking of the santa Cruz nomad I ride daily has the same feeling evolve! The bike seemingly has a personality. When it's getting dark and I'm backwoods with bears lurking, riding to civilization is my only care. I never have to worry about what I'm hitting, dropping from or even climbing. This bike just digs a little deeper and smashes thru, over or off. Corners like it's on tracks! It's stiff while climbing but slack when bombing! The components compliment the bike unlike so many other bikes that compliment the components. Chicks dig it, dudes dig it and even the wildlife out here in Colorado doesn't seem to mind it! Imo to many bikes now days are built solely to " look cool". This bike definitely is hands down a looker but the functionality it offers allows me to use it for cross country, pavement, downhill, uphill and even floats nicely when the trail has a pond to Wade across! This is my first Santa Cruz coming over from riding a fsr . This won't be my last Santa Cruz. Oh and with the 650b (27.5") craze becoming the norm, the bike can easily run those without having to sacrifice slackness! Perhaps I'm not a real pro in real life, when I'm on my Santa Cruz I'm nothing short of pro in my life. Amazingly well built,fun, sexy bike!

Ummmm?! Well maybe that I can't ride it and sleep. That's the only thing I hate about it. Have to sleep sometimes

Price Paid:
[Jun 01, 2016]
E N
Downhiller

OVERALL
Strength:

I broke my last Nomad and SC sent me a 27.5 for 1350, no shock. keep in mind crash replacement price only applies to the frame. most of the old components are useless with bike companies changing the "standards" every year. Pedals WAY better than the 2012 c version. (first year carbon I think) Pedals better than my wife's Bronson. obviously it is sluggish laterally on the climb (wanders), but if you give a $hit about the climb, go but a 29r and don't call me to ride. NOT a DH bike. I just finished building a 2016 V10. That is a DH bike. this is full throttle endure. (don't get the 2016 Lyrik unless you want to buy it used from me!) the fox 36, is WAY stiffer. the Lyrik was like a tuning fork going through chunk.

Is not nearly as fun as my 26" Nomad. I have the Monarch and at 40% sag, I beat the p|ss out of my $500 carbon cranks and CANNOT get the last 3/4" of travel. My emails seem to get lost in the SC warehouse, so I'm going to cross my fingers that a Vivid will boost the sag and still let me get full travel when I slam it.

I like this bike, but so far it's not as fun as the 2012 26" even though it pedals WAY better. The monarch should not be paired with the suspension leverage ratio. I have no volume reducers, but I can't bottom it when I am try to SLAM it from a 4' drop to flat at 40% sag. I have to sag around 55-60% to bottom it. I would like to run around 30% sag to help with the crank strikes, but I'm guessing that would be a 10'+ drop to flat to bottom?

[Mar 15, 2014]
Bullit91

OVERALL
Strength:

Lightness, 28lbs
Stiffness
Looks

I haven't found any yet

I got this frame as a replacement for my aged Blur LT, and built it up custom. I have only ridden the bike a couple times, but I can tell right away it is a sweet bike. It climbs every bit as good as my Blur, better when I stand up and hammer on the pedals. There is a real noticeable acceleration that wasn't there with my Blur. And when you lay it in the corners, it really carves hard and holds the line like it is on rails, even when in the chunder.

Santa Cruz Blur LT

[Jun 24, 2013]
Reggie Dunlop

OVERALL
Strength:

Stiff when you want it to be stiff, plush when you want it to be plush, devours ANY type of terrain

It aint cheap, but still worth every penny

This bike is absolutely incredible, the more you ask it to do, the more it excels. I have mine set up with a 180 fork, a coil shock, and a dropper seatpost and it still weighs in at 31 pounds. You can climb pretty much anything on this bike without trouble, but where it really blows me away is on descents. It eats up any type of terrain with absolutely zero hesitation. You can point the bike down your line and charge knowing that it will track over just about anything. For Enduro/Freeride riding style, there is no better whip that I know of.

Specialized Enduro, Ibis Mojo HD, Trek Slash.

[Mar 02, 2013]
Freebrd85

OVERALL
Strength:

VPP, Stiff, Beautiful

Price

What can I say about this monster of a bike, besides the fact that it is one of my best purchases ever. You want to attack the trails when you are on it and you want to become an even better mountain biker when you are off of it. I used to ride cross country a lot with my old hard tail Gary Fisher but I started getting aggressive with it to the point where I destroyed the stock fork. So it was time for an upgrade not the fork but the whole bike. Yes it took a while for me to gather all my pennies to purchase this bike, but it is worth it.

The bike handles beautifully when on tight twisting single track and switchbacks thanks to its lower BB and feels so stable at high speed to the point where I felt like it was attached to a rail. The VPP does help it when you pedal on flats and I had no problem with it on technical climbs unlike some reviewers said but hey, I didn't buy it to climb better or I would have just stuck to my hard tail.

Overall it is an awesome bike. Yes it is expensive, but if you really love this sport and you can afford to take a hit on your bank account, go for it!

Ibis Mojo HD

[Feb 04, 2013]
stephen stanway

OVERALL
Strength:

All mountain machine that hits all the right notes incredibly well its just so FAST.

EH ......................is there any

This is a white 2011model purchased late 2012 for a fab price l could not refuse ,had a mk1 nomad before this so i kind of new what to expect.The mk1 nomad was an amazing bike in 2007 all the way through to 2012 like me she was getting old so much so l was never in doubt that my next frame would be another nomad and to get a carbon one even better. The first thing you notice apart from it being so good looking is how much lighter it feels compared to the mk1 when fully built the next thing you notice when you start riding is how fast this beast is

Heckler , Nomad mk1

[Oct 23, 2012]
Harvey Epstein

OVERALL
Strength:

Stiffness, Weight, Climbing, Comfort

too much work at the pump park. dirt jumps too. expensive.

With the XT build, this bike arrived at just over 28 lbs without pedals. Having not ridden much in years, this is my return to my old favorite hobby. Last year I went out with a good friend on his new SC Blur LT Carbon. I noticed his technical descent was really improved, and following him reminded me of my old days at the resorts. He mentioned the Nomad Carbon, I checked it out on the web, and was enchanted. I used to ride resort DH years ago, and this bike gives me the same feeling as my old DH rigs, both Ellsworth Dares circa '03.

Pedaling uphill is great considering the amount of travel and how plush bumps are. I have no trouble in my small ring and am especially amazed at how it tackles uphill steps, rocks, and boulders when I am just starting to get out of my saddle.I am over 40 now and can ride up stuff I used to push my DH bike up.

Flat ground pedaling is good and riding xc style is still fun. The extra travel and weight only are noticeable if you are riding all flat with somebody on a 29er. If things are twisty and flat or off camber, the rake starts to show, and the front can push and understeer. However, with the descent based geometry, washout is less than expected.

Descending is where this thing earns it's keep. Ear to ear grins while dropping off ledges and hitting berms can be followed up by insane laughter as I float confidently down and through fields of head sized rocks. Sometimes hitting bad lines on purpose is the only way to feel danger on this rocket. Drops that were scary are now nothing, NOTHING. The feel of the bike over rough terrain is amazing due to the carbon's weight and stiffness. It is like riding air, but really stiff air that cares nothing about the insane stresses it is subject to. I can't say enough about how well it holds a line and how easy it is to point and shoot on this bike. The feedback and steering while pointed down are downright telepathic.

I am so glad I bought this bike and will gladly trade it in for a 27 inch version if/when that becomes the rage. But I could be happy riding it for quite some time.

This bike has gotten me back in shape and I love riding every minute I am on it. Now I am looking at fatbikes and dirt jumpers. What have I gotten myself into?

Ellsworth Dare,

[Sep 29, 2012]
ken

OVERALL
Strength:

Unbelievable riding platform that floats you over the gnarliest of gnar. Goes uphill like a superstar with a Talas and the new CTD shock.

Do not exist.

This rig is incredible. The 2013 model with F/R thru axle makes this thing hold it's line in studly fashion. The frame is well up to the task of buffeting all of the massive suspension. And then what, well, it is razor sharp, chucking over without a care in the world, just ditch the incredibly horrible maxxis front tire. I loved my 575 and this bike simply put makes that ride child's play. It is a whole other level of pure all mountain insanity. Super expensive, and worth every damn penny.

[Aug 04, 2012]
inoack

OVERALL
Strength:

A true "One Bike Solution."

Small ring pedal feedback. Lemme say that again... Yeah it's a LOT. Oh and you can buy a used car for the price of the frame alone!

So that you have a way to weigh my review, I will give a very short riding style history. My first serious purchase was a Klein Mantra in ’99. The Klein was a XC geo with 80 or 100 mm up front and 7” in back. That is not a typo. My only complaint with that bike was the travel (rear) was sufficient to be a trail bike, but the geo was pure XC. It still pedaled incredibly well. I rode this bike pretty hard until ’06 when I bought my first DW link Iron Horse MK III. When I transitioned to the IH I was happier with the geometry, and the DW link still pedaled very well with 140mm front and back. I bought a second MK III the next year before my pro form was unavailable, and was riding between 2-4000 per year in SLC and around Utah. If I had the 6k I would have bought a SC in ’07. I never felt like I was able to get enough summer, and in ’08 I got a great deal on a GT DHi dh bike to lap the bike park and finally felt like I got enough riding! I bought a Mongoose boot’r the next that is a complete POS, so I gave it to my dad.

Since most of the world had been to Whistler, I’ll use that as a barometer to my riding abilities. I can (barely) clean A line, but I’m better at tech trails, riding everything but Goat’s Gully. I got a short 2 days of pedaling in Oakridge, OR a few weeks ago getting 70 miles in 8 hours with about 6.5 of that climbing. To summarize, I like the climb for the exercise, the zen, the access to non-shuttleable rides etc, but I live for the DH.

I have wanted this bike for years, but I was just recently able to pro form most of the bike. Significant components:
Fork: Fox 36 FIT VAN 180mm (little heavy, but super sick. Awkward wheelie action when it gets steep –duh, no surprise. When you point it dh you’ll understand. You could probably have 50% better climb characteristics and only 10% degradation in the descent with a 160mm, but I don’t measure the quality of my ride by the climb…)
Wheels: CB Iodine tubeless ready (not my first choice, but great so far)
Tires: Minion DHF Exxo 2.5 front (love these from DHing, but bead doesn’t seal easily) rear Specialized purgatory 2.4 2 Bliss (sealed easily and probably my new AM fav. Bigger than a maxxis 2.5)
XTR trail brakes. 200mm front (required for fork) 160 rear. (super super sick power)
Shimano Shadow rear der. (Amazing chain retention! I decided to leave my triple ring and have returned my chain guide… no dropped chain in 400+ miles!!!)
Post: Rock shock Reverb (gawd dam it’s heavy, but I would put it on if it weighed 2x as much. No exaggeration. This is my first dropper post, but I will include one on everything that is not a full DH from now on)

The Ride:
Let me get my rant out of the way… If you think this bike “pedals better than a 4” XC bike,” you are drunk! I’m not pointing to any post or anyone in particular, but my 140mm DW link bikes pedal twice as well in the small ring. If you are spinning up a fire road, you can flip on the pro pedal and reduce it to nil, but if you are on a steeper trail and torque up the lil ring, the pedal feedback feels like you laced your shoe strings around your neck!!! With as pedal conscious as SC designers seem to be, I’m truly surprised this characteristic made it out the door. I want anyone that likes to pedal to take note: with the small ring under high power, you will want to throw $8000 worth of bike into the bushes and file a claim on your homeowners policy. For reference, my GT DHi with 8" of travel only pedals slightly worse than the Nomad does in the small ring! After my gf lets me move back into the house, I’ll probably dump another $800 into the Push link and a coil and see if that improves the ride. If that doesn’t work, I may give the Ibis Mojo HD a try as it seems to have better pedaling reviews. Rant over!

I have tried different air pressures, but with enough pressure to keep pedal feedback tolerable I only get about 1/2 travel from 3’ to flat with harsh small bump sensitivity. Small bump sensitivity is fantastic when air P is set to almost bottom a 3’ drop to flat. This gives about 2/3 travel for a well built 15’ table…

Read this before you flame my review!!! This bike is effing amazing. Anything but the little ring at high torque is truly amazing! The carbon is stiff, responsive and forgiving. I’ll probably been at 35 mph on semi rough single track thinking I could ramp it up even further and still be real comfy. You can stand up in the middle ring with very little pedal feedback. I’m 6’2 with a short(ish) torso on an XL. 50mm stem 700 mm bars and this thing feels perfectly sized to toss around. I do have wheelie trouble in the climb when it gets steep and techy, but ever since DHing, I’m not above a push-a-bike every now and then.

If you are waffling between this bike and the Ibis Mojo HD, like I was, I hope this helps. If you want a "One Bike Solution," jump on in! You won't be disappointed by the Nomad!!!

nothing in this 6" class

[Jun 13, 2012]
powanddirt

OVERALL
Strength:

awesomely stiff and light. pedals super well with rp23. holds line through rocks and roots like a champ. my frame came with new 142mm rear axle.

my green paint looks sweet but may not be that tough

this bike made me ride everything better. i got my medium green frame built with 180 talas, rp23, chromag bar,stem,seat, hope m4/tech2 combo, crossmax sx, xt cranks with mrp guide, x9 1x10 set up, ks dropper post. it came in at 30.7lbs. with 36 frontring and 11/36 in the back this thing rips everything so fast. on another level compared to banshee rune i switched from. even on flat trail, i can have fun ripping corners and stay poppy even with the built i have. though i do want to give 34 frontring a try, i do not miss hammerschmidt i use to run on my old rune what so ever. i think 1x10 works really well with a bike like nomad carbon. i have not jumped a lot on it yet but little air ive gotten, it felt stable and easy to throw around. new 142mm rear axle is super sweet. this is my first 142mm rear axle frame and this addition made this frame a perfect frame.

brodie nemesis
banshee chapparal
banshee scratch
3 banshee rune frames

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.