Mountain Cycle Fury All Mountain Full Suspension

• BB width

[Sep 11, 2018]
MrMountain

OVERALL
Strength:

This bike feels amazing on almost any kind of terrain. No loss of power climbing, and with the right forks full confidence on the rough stuff. It's a legend, no question. People breaking rear triangles are people who were probably expecting to ride this like a downhill bike, or might want to look at losing some weight.

I was initially not happy that the frame was sold with no remote for the rear shock, which is unfortunately in the locked position by default. They did end up sending me one. The matte black paint was not what I expected, but I've grown to really like the look of the bike.

Purchased:
New
[Sep 25, 2013]
Marko
All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

From what I know, the price is decent.

They shipped this to me with an Ario 2.R rear shock that requires a remote to free up the lock-out. It didn't come with the remote. As far as I know I'm stuck spending another $120 to buy a remote I didn't even want. Not cool. The overall matte black finish you see in the pics was misleading as well. The front triangle is a very poor gloss black, and no white graphics... just a damaged metal head tube emblem in a zip-lock back I'm expected to put on the bike myself.

I haven't even put this bike together yet and I'm not impressed with MC. This bike is a hack. The poor quality of finish, and the Ario shock that came without it's remote make it a poor value.

Marin Shoreline Trail

[Jul 02, 2011]
Farmer brown
Downhiller

OVERALL
Strength:

Great support MC reliable !Show up at the trail
Your Mountain Cycle will never fail !

None that I have ever come across in my
Fifteen years riding Mountain Cycle bikes.

If you don't have one or your friend doesn't have one
You will never know how sweet it is !:)
Mountain Cycle since 1988, ya ! before
U were born!!!!

Cannondale, GT , Spooky ,Spec

GT, Specialized, Spooky,Trek ,canonndale

[Jan 05, 2011]
airib

OVERALL

a 3 year after review --after 2 years which was great no complaints at all (loved it actually ) ..then the rear triangle snapped on a ride -had a problems getting a new one since the warrenty was 14 days after 2 years(!!!-the MC argued with me regarding the 14 days -such poor costemer service) ,my local importer helped me out and sold me a new one he had and this one broke again yesterday -THE WORSE REAR TRIANGLE ON A BIKE EVER!!!suppose to be molded but snaps like a bad welding job , bottem line -no warrenty and the MC people wont take responsebility ..
- im on my way to buy a better frame will cost me more but at least it willcome with a SOLID warrenty .

DONT BUY THIS FRAME - ONCE IT STARTS BRAKING YOULL BE ON YOUR OWN-SPEND A FEW MORE BUCKS AND GET A FRAME THAT CARRIES A SOLID WARRENTY!!!!!

[Jan 04, 2011]
adi

OVERALL

this is an update - think i had an older review - after 2 years in the middle of a ride the rear triangle just snapped and i crashed ,,i called my local importer and when he contacted the guyes in MC the said since it was more then 2 years (about 2 weeks more ) ther eis no warrenty -
my local importer helped me out and gave one for frr (thank ) and now afte r12 months the same s$%t happend again .. i searched the web and found out that this is commen- the rear triangle just snapps...

follwing this nor my local importer and the MC guyes are willing to help -im 190lb and the bike should withstand my AM rides ...
very unhaapy- going to change my frame to one that has a backup fro mthe company ..if your riding hard find another frame -this one will shurly crack and brake your hart ( and other parts if your un-lucky)..

[Sep 09, 2010]
Hans

OVERALL
Strength:

Rigid to lateral force. Perfect angles of seat and head tube ( 67 and 69 ) for all mountain use. On the way up its amazing how easy it goes - on the way down: THIS IS IT. With the 5 inch Roco TST positioned to 3-5 it is eating up the obsticles. The single pivot is strong and light in its movements. Everything on this frame seems to be in perfect harmony

Its so good that you will never ride anything else. I am considering 1 - 2 spare frames for the future, just in case.

If want the one bike that does all mountain, epic rides, semihard DH and still climbs like a monkey - THIS IS THE ONE

this is my first fully

[Jun 18, 2010]
Ericmopar

OVERALL
Strength:

Climbs great.
Laterally rigid.
Good BB Height for tech riding. (14" with 140mm fork)
Weight of 7.5lbs (With RP23 shock) is very good for a bike that's this burly.
Takes standard easily available components.
Very easy to maintain.
Full length cable runs.

None that I can find, when used for all-mountain riding.
Some may find it a bit quick steering until you get used to it, but I've rolled 4 - 5ft vertical drops with no issues.

I love it!
It just works wherever you point it.
It's nimble in tech terrain, but still stable at speed.
The Fury, when fitted with the correct shocks, can feel like there is more travel than 5" (125mm).
The black anodized finish is tough. Like a black car it shows the dirt. LOLs.
It always tracks rock gardens straight and true and is easy to do a track stand on, when a person gets stalled for a second or two.
It pedals well. I never use the pro-pedal feature of the shock, except when I'm going to or from the trail on asphalt.
MC's customer service is great. My old bike was long out of warranty, but they gave me the 50/50 deal.

This is a great all-round bike. It's not quite a down-hill machine, but it will get through the rough stuff quickly when set up right.

Mountain Cycle San Andreas.
04 Jamis Dakar XLT 2.0. (total PITA)

[Mar 03, 2010]
FURY2010

OVERALL
Strength:

Everything! These bikes climb like mountain goats and take you down the other side with no problems!

They are discontinueing the FURY!!!! What a shame!

Purchase my first Fury 3 years ago. Found out that they will not be building the frames any more so I bought a new one this year. I should out last me!!!!

Love the single pivot all mountain frame. Never had a better climbing bike. My set up weighs about 31 lbs. but with the way the thing rides you would think it weighed about 26 lbs.

The customer service at MC is top notch. Every time I call with a question end up on the phone for at least 30 mins. talking MC and rideing Southern Cali.

Hope the replacement for the Fury is just as good.

K2 Proflex 4000

[Nov 11, 2009]
mc4life

OVERALL
Strength:

very stiff front and rear frame. The glen green color is way better when you see it up close. Rocco, enough said. cable harnesses are a great design. elevated chain stays, single piviot, simple & trustworthy

only one, not made in the USA like its older brother sanan

I've ridden this bike 8 times now and I am totaly satisfied. When this frame is teamed up with the 140 float 15qr, it is scary how stiff the entire bike becomes. My prior bike was the MC san andreas, this one is very similar but much stiffer and more travel, 5 in. The geometry along with the marzocci Rocco are unbelievable togather. It rides down hill like a 6 inch, and it climbs like a hard tail. Dont let the 140 float worry you about climbing, I did, and went with it anyway, sure am glad I did. The geometery of the frame and the single pivot make it a great climber. This bike loves to be jumped, it's nice when you can't feel the landing! Some reviews say that you can't race the fury cross country, I strongly disagree. This bike rides like it's in the low 20lb range. Don't be a NANCY when you compare frame weights, It's not only total weight, but how the bike rolls. This is truly a bike for all sitituations, all mountains. For reference, I'm 6'1'' and a 34 inseam, the large fits perfect. One of the most overlooked aspects of bike buying, the companys customer service, Mountain Cycle's is top notch. MC wants all customers for life, I know they've got at least one.

1999 San andreas

[Jun 12, 2009]
masnumata

OVERALL
Strength:

Space Age looking sexy curves, tough as nails anodizing job;
Awesome Ride with upgrade of rear shock (came with X-Fusion stock);
Full Cable Routing;
Versatile purpose frame;
Very Strong and stiff frame;
Bloody Affordable

No bottle mount, but not very important as I use a hydration pack and I don't use the water bottle to squirt my bike after a muddy ride anymore;
Mud gets thrown onto the rear shock (Easily fixed with DIY mud flap and shock boot);
Slightly heavy with coil shock (But I'm a heavy rider at around 200lbs, so I actually welcome the extra weight for reassurance, lighter riders can spec the frame with an air shock)

Iniitially, the frame came with an X-Fusion rear shock (7.875x2.0) which resulted in a 5 inch travel rear, so I changed the shock to a Fox Vanilla R '06 (7.875 x 2.25) which upped the travel to around 5.6inches.... This made the bike really come alive, especially after I fitted a Rockshox Domain 318 at 160mm in the front.... The raised BB height also made it so much easier to clear obstacles, and this bike has become a SUPER FURY!!! Hard cornering is also no issue, as the bike feels so balanced.... That's the reason why I say the frame is so versatile - you can spec any type of shock /fork combo to your type of riding and the frame will take it!!! (Other than DH, or XC race) The only downside is that the rider cannot be too short, I am 1.74m and riding the small size frame already....

I feel that the mono pivot in a good position is under-rated after riding this bike; it just oozes fun out of everything - Berms, jumps, bunnyhopping, launching off tree roots..... The short chainstays make it really easy to bunny, wheelie and manual this beast it's amazing.....

The performance is exceptional even when it is so simple, climbing steep inclines is no issue at all with this bike even when I have such a high front end!!!

Mountain Cycle got the pivot placing spot on with this frame, and there is no pedal feedback in the middle and big chainrings; there is only stiffening up of the rear end when the chain is in the granny and smaller cogs in the rear, but who the heck uses this combination anyway.... (I also have to say that the mono pivot Tomac Snyper also rides fantastically, it feels spot on too, damn fun that frame was....)

Acceleration and riding on the road is superb, it feels like my old stumpy with 90mm of rear travel even though it's 140mm frame... It's that good.... The suspension reacts just enough to the chain tension and cancels out rider induced bob, I notice it when switching over to my friend's 130mm Stumpjumper where the rear moves when i pedal hard....

Final thoughts:
I would recommend anyone who isn't a weight weenie and rides hard.... I find that a lot of frames and components in recent times have shaved too much weight off to the point of being scary.... For example I snapped my Tomac Snyper's chainstays almost clean off while just riding along.....

Get one with a 7.875 x 2.25inch stroke rear shock and you will not regret it.... But for larger riders only.....

Tomac Snyper 140, Specialized FSR Stumpjumpers, Mongoose Black Diamond Series, Cannodale Rush and Perp, Ellsworth Moment, Truth, Turner 5 Spot, Santa Cruz Blur/ Blur LT, many more