Marin Wolf Ridge All Mountain Full Suspension

• Shimano Deore 32 Hole Disc

[Feb 03, 2012]
RealCautin

OVERALL
Strength:

Suspension design, durability, low price, comfortable.

No protection (protector) against chain slap for rear swing arm.

I've owned/ridden/raced many bikes from singlespeed to hard tails to 29ers up to 6" full suspension trail bikes. In the process, I've always had more than two bikes in my stable. Bikes and fades come and go, but the only bike I've kept all the time is my Marin Wolf Ridge QUAD TARA. This is the bike I would keep 'till I die if I had to choose just one. It climbs like no other thanks to it's floating pivot point suspension. You can set it to 4" travel for XC racing, 5" for technical trail without affecting its climbing ability or even 6" for all mountain riding with some medium size drops (up to 5 ft). I have no idea how many miles I've put on this bike, I've ridden it in all kinds of terrain, weather and situation, it's been even ridden a few times in waist deep water, not to mention snow, sand, dirt, rocks, mud, roots, sub zero temperatures, marathon races, 100+ miles epic rides..... everywere! The suspension bearings have never been serviced but there is still no need to do it. They are smooth and thight just as they were the first day. I could spend all day writing about this bike but the weather is gorgeous out there and I'm going out for a ride! I woud recomend this bike to anyone looking for an all around bike but unfortunately, since it's an old model it's becoming harder to find. There are more modern and expensive bikes now days, but since their performance is almost the same I wouldn't spend thousands of dollars just for the looks ;-)

Giant, Kona, Intense, BMC, Santa Cruz...

[Feb 19, 2011]
gladegp
Downhiller

OVERALL
Strength:

Stable and solid, fun downhill, nice geometry

Heavy frame (3.7 kg with shock and maxle), some pedal feedback in grannyring, 1 1/8" headtube

Nice bike for people liking a slacker geometry, nice and solid bike, used it in bikeparks and local trails. You'll have heaps of fun on this bike.

[Mar 16, 2010]
bertfull

OVERALL
Strength:

Frame. Launched it from several drops more than six feet without failure. Lands smooth. Great all around bike.

Price.

Great price...wish they were less expensive.

Giant, GT, Specialized

[Nov 17, 2009]
Anonymous

OVERALL
Strength:

NONE!!!!

Frame period. To weak for serious all mountain riding.I only wiegh 185 pounds and I broke the frame twice never got more than a year out of a frame set at 6 inches.Wore out pivots in one year

Broke two frames in two years. Im 48 years old dont jump more than 3 feet max.The cracks would occur all the way around the down tube right at the shock mount twice.Ive been riding for 16 years have built 4 different bikes always used fox settings for my wieght and ability.Marin said I ran to low an air pressure I always rode with a shock pump and watched my o ring I told them no way.They made me a deal and gave me the new design quad tara with the rp 23 shock for 200 dollars.Bottom line if you ride trails with alot rocks at high speeds dont get this frame. The Giant riegn x blows this frame away. Also the new wolf ridge does not peform as well as the old wolf ridge. IT has shorter travel feel and tracks like crap.I ride 3 times a week get something that can handle the abuse

Giant Riegn x, Rocky Mountain Element

[Apr 06, 2009]
nuel
Downhiller

OVERALL
Strength:

Suspension system, Quad just amazing on rough terrain.

Wheelset and brakes, too weak for all mountain rides.

Love the frames and suspension, rides like longer travel bikes, climbed great, and looks cool because you hardly see any body rides one.
This is my second Marin Quad Tara, get one while they are still available, and it's cheaper and better then other top bikes out there.

Custom built 04 Marin Quad Tara, custom built 07 Cannondale Prophet.

[Feb 14, 2009]
KiltedOne

OVERALL
Strength:

Strength to weight ratio, Maxle front and rear, Hope hubs, Quad 2.0, Descends like a bigger bike, climbs like a smaller bike!

Weight compared with other 140mm bikes(but really more like a 160mm bike), Air U-turn Pike lacked feel, Gravity BB died after 6 months winter/spring UK grit and grime.

Initial impressions were of a tremendously capable bike being hampered by a lack of feel and in my view travel at the front end. With the upgrade to a 66SL set to 160mm this bike really came alive. (Notice the 2009 Attack trail uses a 160mm RS Lyrik....)
The Quad 2.0 is fantastic, and feels like far more than 140mm, however still maintains that "snap" of a shorter travel bike. With the seat up it climbs fantastically finding grip where there is none although to completely eliminate pedal bob you will need to use the RP23's propedal.
This bike is really all about the descending though. Drop the seat and it feels like a mini DH/SS bike and the Maxles mean it is absolutely flex free. It really encourages you to ride aggressively, shaming bikes with far more travel at both ends.
If you compare the bikes weight with other 140mm bikes it is definately on the portly side, but this does not take into account the way the bike rides. I would definately compare it to 160mm+ bikes for a more equal ride comparison. Further more, there is some easy weight saving to be made if you require. I dropped a pound just by changing the OE seatpost/saddle combo.
All in all the perfect bike for my local trails(Innerleithen/Glentress/Uplifts etc), and its booked in for the Passportes and a week in the Alps this summer.

All in all I can't recommend this bike enough.

Specialized Pitch, Kona Magic Link

[Feb 14, 2009]
thv3

OVERALL
Strength:

Strength to weight ratio, Spec, 20mm front and 12mm rear maxle, Hope hubs, Stroker trail brakes, Quad 2.0 suspension platform, Fox RP23 to eliminate any bob when required.

Not the lightweight choice, Pike Air U-Turn lacked feel(I got one of the first into the UK and it should have had a Pike coil), Gravity BB died after 6 months UK grit and mud.

All in all the perfect bike for my local trails(Innerleithen/Glentress etc), and its booked in for the Passportes and a week in the Alps this summer. YEAH HAH!

All in all I can't recommend this bike enough.

Specialized Pitch, Kona Magic Link etc.

[Aug 15, 2008]
ova de barz

OVERALL
Strength:

OK, I have had this bike for most of the Spring: it's the new 2008 140mm AM range model, and it does do what Marin promise.
I too sold an SX to get this bike. For an XC bike it's got amazing performance on the downs. drops 2 ft to flat no problems, moderate jumps no worries. The quad suspension climbs very very well indeed. Nice and stiff frame.

I've bust 3 sets of Pike forks, incl. an upgrade pair. I'm not abusing the bike, these forks are rubbish. Everytime they get wet the travel adjust breaks. I've had coil pikes before, these air forks are pathetic: poor progression, shabby build and spike on drops unless set up very carefully

It does ride AM. It is light enough for big climbs. (just, and you may want some lighter tyres) I like the white bars / rims.
It is a good buy (as opposed to hand made frame sets), the frame warranty Marin offer still exists to original owners.

You cant quite do what you can do on a SX, I'm no FR legend and I need all the help I can get out on the trails. Think aggressive XC / AM (i.e most UK trails) as opposed to bike parks.

I think this is an ideal UK all day bike. A brave change by Marin, from a high up bounce along the trail full suspension ride of times gone by to an aggressive low slung all day AM machine that is a lot faster then you think both up and down.

Beware the fork....

SX, VT, Enduro, PRST 4.

[Jul 03, 2008]
glen

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, well specced, well balanced, good for uphill, great for downhill, Life time warranty on pivots and bearings, Hope Hubs. Front and rear Maxel quick release.

Fat grips,

This bike feels amazing, I was riding a Specialized Sx Trail before this but wanted to be able to ride uphill. With the seat up it peadals well and does not feel heavy, drop the seat and the ride position feels similar to my SX Trail, and that bike was great for fast downhill runs. This bike has great components and looks cool too. The Rock Shox Pike 426 is a lot fiddlier than the Fox 36 Van R, but the U Turn and Lock out make it much friendlier for going uphill.

Cannodale Prophet 2

[Mar 11, 2006]
Brad

OVERALL
Strength:

Awesome bike for the price. Exc and very tunable suspension, handles rocks, roots and all trail obs with ease. This bike climbs like a scalded cat in propedal mode and decends like an anvil with the flip of a switch. Set your rear suspension at 4" for XC, 5" all mnt, 6" FR. And did I mention the Brakes! Hayes HFX 9s w/8" front rotor will stop you on a dime and give you change. Solid comp spec, LX shifters and f der, XT r der. Shifts on time every time. This bike fits like a glove, I didn't have to change a thing on this bike. OK, maybe I will end up putting on a carb fbr bar to lighten it up a bit. What more can I say! Simply put it makes me a better rider!

A little on the heavy side. 31 lbs on 17.5, but thats in the ball park for an all mnt ride in its price range.

This bike is a real gem. I was going to purchase a Santa Cruz Blur LT, but this bike changed my mind! Buy one, you will not regret it.

Cannondale Prophet 1000, Cannondale Jekyll 800, Kona Dawg DLX, Santa Cruz Blur LT.

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.