Marin Mount Vision All Mountain Full Suspension

Frame
6061 Aluminum, fully hydroformed mainframe and swingarm, Quad-Link XC 2.0 suspension system, disc specific
Rear Suspension
Fox 32 RP23, with rebound adjustment, dual position ProPedal w/3 position ProPedal lever adjustment
Fork
Fox 32 Float RL, 120mm with rebound adjustment, lockout and air spring preload

[Nov 01, 2013]
aaron kisler

OVERALL
Strength:

climbs well, descends well,

quite expensive

perfect all rounder bike for our terrains here in PH(Philippines).

[Feb 26, 2010]
pulpwoody

OVERALL
Strength:

Frame is stiff, suspension works very well, looks cool.

Don't know yet, too early

This was a warranty return after I broke the hell out of my 06 Rift Zone. I rode the RZ for three years, and that was my first full suspension bike, but I've had the chance to ride many bikes and now I have a pretty good idea of what works for me, and this bike works for me.

This is an 09 frame, and I was skeptical because, honestly, the suspension on the Rift Zone sucked, so how is this one going to be any different?

Big difference.

The suspension works great under any and all conditions. In Austin, we have tons of technical, rocky climbs and drops, and this is where you can tell a good suspension bike. If I just stay seated, this bike propels me up the ledges and increases my efficiency. It climbs very well for sure, and going down is a blast! This bike loves going fast, and on the first few downhill runs, this thing almost got away from me. It handles very well in the corners, and with a longer stem, around 90-100, I can climb the technical, tight stuff very well. Also, for a bike with a 69.5 head tube angle, it's amazingly quick, but you can steer it with precision as well.

This is damn nice bike, and I'm still getting it dialed in, so I'll follow up in a couple of months.

Since this is a warranty return, I'm giving it 5 for value.

Lots of different bikes, and the 06 Marin Rift Zone

[Feb 09, 2010]
johnvip

OVERALL
Strength:

Excellent balance of climbing and descending ability.

Unconventional look may not appeal to everyone. If one is use to a free ride bike, the steering may feel a bit too quick.

I can't say enough about my Marin Mt. Vision Pro. I got a 2008 in December of 2007. I have ridden it three days a week through two winters. I've put so much time riding in crappy conditions that I've change the chain 7 times. I am hard on bikes. I descend fast and hard. The rims are dented from blowing through rock gardens at 20mph but not one thing on the bike as has ever failed me. The 2010 Mt. Vision frame has a lower center of gravity, a longer top tube and a slightly slackened head tube. I road the 2010 on 26 miles of single track. It was a dream. Climbs like a mountain goat, descends like a bobsled.

Trek Fuel XE

[May 30, 2009]
sillymonkey

OVERALL
Strength:

No bobbing when climbing seated. Durable frame.
Plenty of mud clearance in the rear.
10 year North American warranty on bearings.

Sometimes my heels or calves when wearing shin/knee guards rub against the rear swingarm.

This review is for the 2008 Mount Vision.

For 2008 Marin did not have an XC bike so the geometry of this bike is more XC than All Mountain. Potential buyers may want to try a bike that is one size smaller if they don't like the XC feel of a long top tube. For example the medium frame has an effective top tube of 23.5" which is the same as the Turner Flux XC bike.

Based on research the frame is a bit heavier than most trailbikes, perhaps 0.5-1 lbs but the trade-off is better durability. Plus most people can lose a few pounds from riding more :-P

Components included with the bike are top notch consisting of an entire XT drivetrain. Most bikes at this price range may include a non-XT cassette or crankset to reduce costs. Unfortunately the price of the bike skyrocketed for 2009.

I've used this bike for plenty of 8 hour and 24 hour relay races with no problems. It climbs great and there is no suspension bob as long as the rider stays in the saddle. 99% of the time ProPedal is not needed. For me the only time ProPedal is engaged is when riding on pavement.

Most of my bike is stock. The WTB Prowler MX tires are the only weakness of the stock components. I would recommend changing out the rear tire for something grippier i.e. Panaracer Fire XCs for climbing.

As mentioned above sometimes my heels or calves may rub against the rear swingarm. However this could be because I'm bow legged. Also noticed that its usually the right side rubbing against the swingarm.

Overall this is fun and reliable bike for trailriding with a great value in components.

Specialized Stumpjumper, Trek Fuel EX 8, Cannondale Rush

[Feb 14, 2009]
Eilidh

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, rides really well, has lasted me over 10 years with nothing changed

I bought the Marin Mount Vision Pro more than 10 years ago (so obviously its a bit out of date). Since then, other bikes in my garage have come and gone but this is here to stay. It has done the English MTB Coast to Coast, the Colorado Hermosa Trail, the hills of France and Switzerland and my local state park as many nights a week as I possibly can. Its dealt with sand in Moab, mud in Wales and, since coming to live in New England a lot of tree roots. Its never had a component change, its hardly ever even been oiled and its full XTR still works as perfectly as the day I bought it. The only thing I changed were the forks as I was too light (being a woman) to get the original ones to work. I forget what the original ones were but now it has UK Pace forks. I cant praise this bike highly enough. I'd change it and buy a modern one.... but its still perfect and fits like an old friend.

Various

[Oct 03, 2008]
TallyTwhacker

OVERALL
Strength:

The Marin Mount Vision is a technically superior platform. Initially, I had read the reviews and tried to get a Whyte Carbon Fiber model from over seas. I settled for the Mount Vision frame when it came available on Ebay. The rest of the bike is also components purchased from various locations (always the cheapest deal) making the retail value somewhere between $3,000.00 and $5,500.00 (if this sort of thing really matters). I am also not an advocate of advertising for others for free so the decals come off the bike. Looking at the physics behind the arrangement, there really is no other option for suspension available and I was surprised to see the Edison Bionicon was once a set up on a Marin Bike. This also confirms the physics aspect of the suspension set up. This bike improves with velocity making the suspension more effective as you accelerate. The responsiveness of the bike simply continues to improve as you push it. The frame is well balanced and the design works in conjunction with the riders center of gravity. Moving on the bike to get the best line of attack and keeping your body balance consistent with the application will only serve to improve the riding circumstance. I looked at alot of full suspension models and the shock is jammed wherever it fits in an alignment with what seems to look like the place preswsure will push it. this is consistent with the engineering application someone in this industry would come up with based upon the value of the employment position. I.e. your not going to find any rocket scientists building these things for a third of the value of their ability.

Marin is fortunate enough to have a design predicated upon physics and not the market value bicycle engineering will bear. This observation bears out is designs similar to the specialized "Brain" technology actually invented to offset flaws in the original technology. Being an advocate of Occam's Razor (the principle that the simplest most obvious solution is most often the best and only solution), the Marin design is the most direct answer to the suspension issue. introducing additional items into the equation merely makes the matter more complicated than necessary (like the Brain technology). Anyone choosing to purchase a Marin XC frame will immediately realize the benefit of engineered suspension verses a shock placed in a location to bounce when the back end hits something.

The bike is a rocket flying gracefully over every conceivable obstacle in its path. merely shifting the weight of my body results in immediate setup for any upcoming challenges. Drop offs, rock gardens, roots, inclines, g-outs, and verticals are all effortlessly encountered with minimal effort. Care must be taken when descending not to exceed the physical limitations of the rider (there are none for the bike it will traverse anything the rider can negotiate). A very nice introduction into the industry that will doubtlessly improve the circumstance any rider will encounter while riding it.

Specialized, Trek, Giant, Scott, Moots, Ventana, Santa Cruz, {all tested never purchased but the Moots got a second glance}

[Sep 29, 2008]
Rewop

OVERALL
Strength:

Lifetime warranty on main bearings, quality parts throughout, Fox Suspension, Shimano XT, built to last and stand up to wet/mud conditons.
Super smooth ride over cobbbles/small rocks, plenty in reserve to handle the bigger stuff.
Responds well to assertive handling, responsive but not twitchy, confidence building.
Rear suspension arrangement realy seems to dig the back wheel in up steep rocky climbs, and gives great grip.
Hayes Carbon Stroker brakes surprisngly powerful

This bike is is ideally suited to trail riding rather than racing, its is not ultra light. The Hayes brakes although powerful are a bit grabby - maybe they'll wear in, I've only ridden about 120 miles on the bike so far. I'm 6 foot 2 inches and find the XL size comfortable. The sizing is very similar to my old Single pivot Marin large size

This bike has been Bike of the Year in its class two years in a row. Get this bike if you want something that will last long term, a great all rounder, more than enough suspension for general trail riding with reserves for bigger stuff. If you can't do it on this bike its not the bike that's the problem!

Marin Rift Zone 2003 (Single pivot)

[Sep 25, 2008]
luv2mbike

OVERALL
Strength:

Components are perfect for the bike, the new 15 mm thru-axle on the Fox F-120 fork makes the bike so much stiffer. Frame is awesome, bike tracks well, and corners great.

No water bottle holder, not the end of the world by any means.

This bike is everything I hoped it to be plus more. The main feature of the bike is the frame/suspension design. This bike peddles extremely well and descends even better. Cornering on the bike is effortless, and traction on short uphill sprints is phenomenal. This bike is great at making the small bumps seem to not exist, yet I have yet to bootom out the shock or fork even on 4 foot drops. I love the new fork on the bike. The Hayes Stroker Carbon brakes are very powerful, and do their job almost too well at times. Marin did a great job with the bike.

Specialized Epic

[Sep 17, 2008]
HarrisonBn

OVERALL
Strength:

Components, suspension design, most everything important.

wtb hubs, color (mv pro is sweet though), and the sus design gets in the way of the limit screws. Nothing too important. The only truly annoying thing is that my front rotor warps all the time so I'm probably going to stick a 185 on there soon.

This bike ROCKS. It's my first fully, and I've seen a huge skill increase. The suspension is awesome, plush at first but haven't bottomed it yet. It's nice and light for the price, rims have held true for the most part, really couldn't be happier with this rig.

Marin's not too big out in CO but I strongly suggest if your local bike shop doesn't carry them, find one near you that does and at least give one a test ride.

[Jul 10, 2008]
JoshClarno

OVERALL
Strength:

Great handling and looks. The suspension is active and lively, supple and yet the bike is super responsive to pedaling. Super efficiency is the word on this bike it slips and rips and thumps down and up every trail I ride it on. The bike climbs so well with plenty of traction and supplness yet it leaves most people on Epics or other racing full suspension in the dust. That is no joke.
The suspension as you climb absorbs most objects that would slow you down but the harder you pedal it the faster and more effective it becomes. Once you get used to the fact that this bike is going to respond better to you the stronger you get it will actually perpetuate your riding in my opinion.
Literally the bike has rewarded every gain I have made, the stronger I get the more efficient the suspension is.
Yet the suspension never becomes muted or not active from pedaling tension at the cranks, its amazing.

This is an updated reveiw so I have actually had time to pick this bike apart and find somthing wrong with it.
The only thing that really bothers me about this bike is the chain line. Its a little far out compared to most of the bikes I have ridden.
But I love this bike so much that I have learned to live with it. I even put a 12-34 cassette on it to experiment with different gears and I really like that gear range on this bike. It actually makes up for the chain line.
A true weakness in the bike though that bothered me was the weak derailer hanger. I probably went through about five of them before I installed a device called a 4 jerry. It is a sort of derailer hanger stabalizer. Willie from Fundamental Bike recommended it after I expressed my concerns to him.
This has not only solved the problem but stiffened up the drive train a little too.
I have to admit that I like this trail bike so much that there isnt much I wouldnt do to accomidate its supple yet super fast suspension.

Like I said prior this is an updated reveiw. I had to let everyone know that this bike has gotten better as I have gotten back into shape. The pedaling only gets sweeter the more pressure you can put behind the pedals.
Also the suspension gets better the harder I have learned to push it. I do believe that this is one of those rare bikes that gets faster and faster the harder you push it.
I have tried a lot of Mt bikes in search of that one bike. I have always been looking for the full suspension bike that is cush enough to smooth the trail out yet a full suspension bike that pedals fast enough to maybey compete in an occasional race. THIS IS IT.
And it is so unique looking. I have to admit it took me a while to get used to the swooping hydroformed tubes but once I put some serious miles on this bike I have learned to marvel at its looks and performance.
If anyone is looking for a good honest dual suspension bike that will treat you to supple suspension and quick acceleration active suspension up and down the mountains this is it.
Running the rear suspension with about 25% sag with the propedal lever switched off is the way to go 90% of the time.
I have ridden this bike on very rough terrain to very smooth fast XC single track and it adapts to either.
I have mine set up for trail riding and it weighs 26.5lbs.

Specialized Epic,KHS softail, Giant VT1, Giant trance 2005 and the 2006 model, Titus Racer X, Salsa Motorapido, BMC fourstroke,

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.