Kona Tanuki Deluxe All Mountain Full Suspension

We've taken everything we've learned in 24 years of making mountain bikes, and we bring it to life in the mystical trail performance of the Tanuki Deluxe. It's the perfect bike for newly committed all-mountain riders, those looking to go deeper down the trail of discovery. Featuring our light and durable 7005 Aluminum Butted tubing, with 130mm of perfectly tuned rear suspension, the Tanuki Deluxe goes up and over anything you can throw at it. Giant testicles included.

• RockShox Sektor TK Solo Air 130mm 15mm TA fork
  • Shimano drivetrain
  • Easton XC wheelset
  • Maxxis Ardent 2.25 tires

• USER REVIEWS

[Apr 03, 2018]
    pomocanthus

OVERALL
    Strength:

Built like a tank

Weighs as much as a tank w base components

Price Paid:
    Purchased:
    New
    Model Year:
    2012
    [Oct 11, 2013]
    lotusdriver

OVERALL
    Strength:

2013 version (green) Suspension works well, the bike generally feels good to ride and more than the sum of it's parts. Gears are very smooth in operation and brakes work well with no squeaking like the ones on my Cube did.

A bit heavy but probably about right for the money. While brakes are good, you do have to pull fairly hard on the levers for fast stops. A remote lockout on the front fork would be nice.

Note this is the 2013 Tanuki Deluxe, in lime green.
    The bike looks good and feels great to ride. It climbs well and the tyres (Maxxis Ardent) seem to grip well in muddy conditions, without being too restrictive on tarmac.
    There are no obvious cheap parts, even though this is actually the second cheapest FS bike that Kona sell. I have hammered the bike on descents and it holds up well, although the front fork does eventually seem to get overcome on extreme surfaces, giving your arms a bit of a workout.
    but it is great for the money and there's nothing I have felt the need to upgrade on it.
    As standard the bike weighs 30.5 pounds according to my digital scales. The suspension claims 130mm of travel and you do get all of it, if you take time to set the air pressure in the fork/shock properly.

[Jul 30, 2013]
    jfeust

OVERALL
    Strength:

2012 Deluxe Model. Excellent geometry. Decent spec and weight for the price. This thing is a tank and can take an unbelievable beating and keep asking for more. 4-5" drops, lots of jumps. It's enjoyable the whole time. A real riders bike.

I'd like XT or even SLX shifters as an easy stock upgrade, but everything works well. I've had no trouble with the stock rear shock (2012).

Looking at bikes we can get caught up in every little component difference and every little weight difference. Riding the Tanuki Deluxe makes me forget about all that and simply puts a smile on my face. This is an amazingly fun bike to ride. It can take just about any all-mountain, xc, light downhill you can throw at it and you'll be enjoying it the whole time. This bike was made to be ridden, hard. It's pivot system is incredibly durable, it's geometry is spot on. I notice no pedal bob when climbing seated. It's a plush ride for a 130mm bike. Again, I just keep coming back to the "fun" factor. I rode a lot of other higher speced (and higher priced) bikes when deciding but the ride and fun factor of the Kona made it an easy decision.

[Feb 23, 2013]
    DaveKona

OVERALL
    Strength:

The geometry has a great overall/do everything feel to it. The head angle is slack enough for the average speedy down hill section while it can still handle a climb without entirely wasting all your energy.

I researched the bike and known issues before purchase and heard of the shock being the "weak link" on the bike. Sure enough, the very first ride the shock started leaking oil. However, Kona had a replacement in my hands immediately. The replacement shock has taken plenty of beatings and still going strong with no issues.

Replaced Ardent tires within two rides as they could not handle cornering. Upgraded to Specialized Captain and Control....faster and more predictable.

Good bike for the price, would recommend.

[Jan 31, 2012]
    Driverfound337

OVERALL
    Strength:

Frame Geometry is amazing, suspension components are butter smooth, brakes are very good,

Paint seems to scratch extremely easily

Very very good bike for a good price, I bought the 18" frame and fit me well at 5'9

Kona Dawg Deluxe

[Nov 14, 2011]
    Medicinebear

OVERALL
    Strength:

Great looking and an excellent parts pic.

None yet, but I switched out the Shimano SPD pedals for some flats because the morning of the ride I realized that I had tossed out my old cycling shoes. Have some new ones on order though.(Shimano)

This bike has it all for me. I mean it covers every thing from XC to light freeride. I forgot how awsome it is just to go out and explore a new trail, heck ,I printed out a map the night before my ride and in the morning I couldn't find it but that was ok, I rode trails at random not caring if I got lost or not ( It was only a 700 acre park)
    Now get out there and spank that mountain!

Had a Voodoo Zobop years ago and more recently a Kona Stinky Primo, Jamis Parker 2

[Nov 14, 2011]
    Crazybear

OVERALL
    Strength:

A really good parts pic for the money.
    Great handling bike, best all arround full sus I have had.

None yet, only I switched the Shimano SPD pedals for flats
    because the morning of the ride I realized I had thrown out my old cycling shoes. Have new pair (Shimano) on order.

This bike is doing it all for me, and by that I mean anything from XC to easy FR. I went with the 20" frame as I am 6'2" 215 lb. It's a great looking bike to boot! Now go spank that mountain.

Voodoo Zobop, and Kono Stinky Primo.

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.