Kona Abra Cadabra All Mountain Full Suspension

The Abra Cadabra's technology and geometry has been honed through the rigors of enduro racing. Kona Enduro Team members Karim Amour and Matt Slaven throw these bikes up and down mountain biking's most demanding race courses. With a new 142x12 rear axle, incredibly light and lively Scandium 6069 tubing, and a Magic Link platform that can switch from extreme up to extreme down solely based on rider and trail input, the Abra Cadabra is the ultimate do-everything ride. New for 2012, ISCG 05 tabs and cable stops for gravity dropper seatposts.

• Fox 32 Talas Fit RL 150mm w/15mm TA fork
  • Fox Float RP23 shock
  • Avid Elixir 7 brakes
  • Easton Haven wheelset

• USER REVIEWS

[Jun 08, 2020]
    Daemongrad

OVERALL
    Strength:

It truly does climb like an absolute dream and descends as though it was made to take abuse. An exceptionally light and nimble frame, adaptive/active suspension... tune this properly, keep it cleaned and well lubed, and they will continue to serve you through all types of terrain, through many breezy days and every hairy situation you might stumble across. This is my second abracadabra... both have been custom built and meticulously maintained. I have found a balance of parts which suit my every expectation... unfortunately for fox... rockshox takes the day on balance and adjustability. Up front I ride the lyric rc2 dh and in the back, the monarch is majesty redoubled. XO drivetrain with XX rear derailleur mavic crossmax SX wheels and sub out schwalbe magic Mary's for minions depending on dirt conditions. My initial frame was the coil magic link... which was easier initially to dial in... but the new frame has the air can, which took some doing, but is by far the nicest compression and release feel I've ever experienced... it almost feels as though it doesn't happen... but it plainly does.. coupled.again.. with a monarch... and full adjustability of top range parts... this thing is an absolute dream. Remember balance, control, maintenance, and love... thos is a do it all bike that will suit your needs for years.. Just one man's opinion.

They've ceased production... and I must look for abra cadabra frames else where.

Purchased:

[Oct 27, 2013]
    Richard Arapolu
    All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
    Strength:

Climbs really well. Descends well. Is very tuneable and adaptable.

Takes extra effort to manual and bunny hop in plusher suspension settings. No ISCG mounts. Heavier than advertised. Poor tyre clearance 2.2 max.

Bought frame as new old stock for just under $1k. Built it up super ghetto with only a 130mm fork 1x8 drivetrain and cheap dh style bars cranks and wheels. Frame weight with headset and shock was 3.5kg/7.7lbs.
    Climbed well and descended well out of the box with 30% sag 2mm movement on the auxiliary shock in the plush setting.
    I was amazed at being able to pedal better with so much sag than my old Coilair did running 15% sag and yet be way plusher on the rough stuff. First time at the bmx track pumping and jumping it went all psycho till I realised you have to slow the rebound to match the coil shock. once I did this it pumped great and jumped beautifully. I am looking to upgrade to the air auxiliary shock in the future so I am not restricted to 2 or three rebound settings. I have tried setting the suspension up in the firmer setting with almost no movement on the second shock. It climbed even better manualed easier and still took big hits well but was a bit harsh on the gnar. I set it easier on the switch and it overcame some of this but, I have switched it back to the plush position again and now I never touch it. I am very happy with this frame and I am sad to see Kona discontinue the magic link bikes. It could be a little slacker and lower but, the magic link with the stock fork will dip back to a 67 degree head angle from the stock 69 and I intend to put a longer than stock fork on it in the future. As for the height I'll sacrifice a little cornering for lack of pedal strikes and being able to climb over or onto just about anything. It looks great and I love the fact that it is made out of scandiminium and magnesium.

Kona Coilair 2007

[Jul 21, 2011]
    Acba

OVERALL
    Strength:

From looks to riding experience, almost everything

handlebar

Impressed... bought it because I've always liked how Kona bikes ride and despite the fact the Cadabra sounded "too good to be true". Well, it is better than it sounded and is true!!!. This jewel jumps, drops off, eats rocks so easily! Magic link if properly set up (had problems with initial set up) works wonders without you even thinking to switch on/off anything.

Of course there's always room for improvement and better components and bla, bla, bla... could be added but then you can just pay the extra 1000 for the abra cadabra I guess. A taller handlebar will be my next move, but this is totally a personal preference.

... oh and did I mention the looks???? you can bet there will be no more elegant and better looking bike wherever you go

[Jun 11, 2011]
    Prestige

OVERALL
    Strength:

Magic link! Super fun coming downhill, carries speed much better than any bike I've ridden before. Feels really solid and well balanced.

None so far. Only thing I'd swap is 10mm bolt trough axle for the rear wheel, but Easton wheels don't allow that.

Review is for 2011 model. Really love it! Looks great and works really well. At first i was little suspicious about the 150mm talas, but that has been very plush and solid. I've already ridden everything with it, done one enduro race with it, few days in bike parks riding some DH tracks and lots of trail riding. Bike felt perfect at all times. Feels very light and is about 30 pounds with my setup, and thats size L. I'm surprised since I loved my Meta before, and this beauty climbs and descends better! Would recommend to anyone who's after great all mountain machine.

Commencal Meta 55, 2006, 2007, 2010

[Dec 07, 2010]
    nickhead

OVERALL
    Strength:

Stiff, strong, fast and bloody good pedalling. easton haven wheels!!!

the saddle dosent agree with my but. the gips only had one lock ring and moved near the ends.

i was incredibly surprised at how efficient a climber this bike is. it just eats up the trail and gave me a huge amount of confidence straight away due to the stiffness and plush suspension. it does exactly what is claims. i havent actually needed to use propedal yet and i dont think that i will.

[Aug 08, 2010]
    bipedillusionary

OVERALL
    Strength:

Aggresive climber, nimlbe and secure dowhills. I am enjoying this bike more and more each and every ride. The MagicLink system would best be described as a mathmatical pivot that simply functions under pressure. This truely is a just get on it and ride type of bike.

I have found that this bike (possibly tires, etc.) reacts swiftly in loose material....(loose gravel, sand, etc.) I notice this more on the uphill sections as the back tire will spin out under these conditions.

I truely am happy with this bike/purchase. I spent 6 weeks researching, testing, riding, diffrent bikes. I had narrowed it down to several bikes. Specialized Stumpy Elite, Trek Fuel EX9, Cadbra, Cannondale Rize 3. All of these bikes had pros and cons. The Stumpy was a sick bike, however I really felt like the Kona was a more comfortable climber, I really love the power and acceleration it offers in technical sections. So I crossed the Stumpy off the list. Trek was nice bike as well, but after testing riding it several little things happened, the seat clamp was loose and couldn't be retightned, and the brakes seemed to act differently in same scenarios making me lose confidence quickly. Trek was crossed off. The Cannondale actually got the least testing but felt really good. I was a little sketched on the Lefty fork, and the componetry was lacking for the price I felt.
    So I test rode the cadabra, and honestly felt super comfy on the bike immediatley (even though I was coming off of a ten year old bike that is considerably more raked out) The guys at the bike shop were super professional but also really down to earth. Through talking with them, having them tweak out the bike for my test rides (which no one else did) and never pressuring me to buy. They were the a solid team to buy from. So after lots of deliberation the Abra Cadabra has become my bike of choice.
    In a nutshell, aggressive climber, smooth downhill dominator, sexy.

Klein Adept Comp

[Dec 04, 2009]
    Downhiller

OVERALL
    Strength:

Lightweight, nimble handling, bottomless feel, aggressive pedaling, loves to accelerate and stand up under power. Much better lateral stiffness than the G1 Magic Bikes

Not sure how it should be spec'ed...

Been fortunate to test the Magic Link bikes since the conception with early prototypes. And in 3 years time, I can say this particular bike is chiseled and refined, and may be the very definition of "All-Mountain". At 6.4" travel and build-able from 26 lbs, this bike may turn the AM class upside-down . But the hell with my word go demo this bike. Haters beware. Straight up nasty.

Coilair 08, 09, 10 other Magic prototypes and reproduction

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.