Intense 5.5 EVP All Mountain Full Suspension

Equipped with 5.5” of seemingly bottomless travel, it’s torque sensative VPP design makes it the perfect choice for all day, go anywhere, endura rides.

With ultra efficient no BOB power transfer, and superior handling, the 5.5 EVP does it all.

[Jan 06, 2019]
carlosferreira

OVERALL
Strength:

Good climbing and it is almost like a DH bike on the way down.

I can’t say anything negative. I have bad many MTBs, this was my best one

Price Paid:
Purchased:
New
Model Year:
2008
[Jun 23, 2013]
RXV_POOR

OVERALL
Strength:

Good climbing, great descending, jumps well, excellent overall handling

Upgrading the links, bearings & shock myself

I built this on a whim to see if it would make a decent Enduro style play/race bike. The frame is good the original links and shock weren't that great. The bearings were shot but it was used so what can you say. I got it off of Ebay for $350 plus shipping.

After a new custom PUSH Rock Shox Monarch shock with upgraded links, bearings & rear derailleur hanger I was out about $850 total. For a used frame that's been refreshed (The way I want it) against a new Intense frame I consider that fair. With the setup I have on it the bike flat rails. If you are a "do it yourself" type of person there is great value in older bikes and it's a hobby of mine. About $2500 total after build

Also this is my 2nd Intense bike

Santa Cruz Heckler 5.0 Fox RP23 shock/Fox 36 Talus fork; Ventana Terremoto Fox RP23 shock/Fox Vanilla 36 6.3 fork both in my garage with similar setups. The Terremoto is the benchmark for higher speed rough descents, the Heckler 5.0 is the best when you're in really tight twisty single track. The 5.5 fits in the middle but leans towards the Terremoto in the "feel" department but does not change directions in the really tight stuff like the Heckler.

[Jul 17, 2012]
atlas4gr

OVERALL
Strength:

technical climbing efficiency, overall handling, Nice short wheelbase, decent weight, made in USA

Some flex, neutral feeling of VPP= slower acceleration

This is my favorite full suspension trail bike, I've ridden all types of brands and suspension designs, but somehow I keep coming back to this bike when I want a ride that I feel I'm in total control of. Great classic geometry and nice tight wheelbase makes this thing handling tight, technical singletrack exceptionally well. Although designs like the DW-Link feel faster to accelerate up the mountain, this bike does what you want, when you want it to, which isn't something I can say about most other bikes I've ridder

Ibis Mojo SL, Santa Cruz Tallboy, Moots Cinco, Foes FXR

[Jul 05, 2012]
Uncle_Mike

OVERALL
Strength:

Overall performance, technical handling, beauty!

Slight flex in the rear

Incredible bike overall. This was originally the top bike in my fleet used on occasion, for bike vacations, or when I really wanted to rip it. (I had an Epic that I used for racing). Eventually it became my everyday bike. It was an excellent climber but really liked to dance through the high speed technical stuff.
My setup varied but always high end and settled at around 130mm front fork. This made is somewhat steep for today's geometry's but perfect if that is what you're used to. I racked up thousands of incredible miles on this bike including our local technical rocks and roots type of riding and bike vacations in Moab, Georgia, Vermont, etc.
I eventually picked up a 2010 Intense Spider II and Tracer VP. The 5.5 seemed to fit nicely between them but the geometry made the setup dissimilar, making switching between them a little unfamiliar.
Compared to the other models, it does feel a little more upright and possibly slightly less efficient, but again, once you got comfortable on this bike it could dance with you through high speed technical, climbs and swirling single track.
Last Fall I was ripping through some technical single track and snapped the rear triangle right at the weld in front of the rear derailleur. The Intense distributor took care of me when there were no replacements available and offered me a deal on a new frame. I did get the triangle welded but have yet to assemble the bike. It gave me incredible rides over several years and really owes me nothing. It'll eventually get rebuilt with a lower spec and though mostly "out to pasture" it'll return to occasional use.

Intense Tracer, Tracer VP, Spider II, Spider 29'er, UZZI SL, Specialized SJ and many others.

[Apr 15, 2012]
bradbucc

OVERALL
Strength:

Great balance of steering and stability. Stays are short enough it comes back on the rear wheel like a champ. Charges hard through everything, squishes big bumps, pedals like a mad man. I actually like it with pro pedal off. VPP system is very efficient. I use the bike for long enduro rides. Longest ride so far White Rim Trail in a day 108 miles so comfortable. Best bike I've ever owned. Built up @ 26 lbs decked out.

There is some squish under standing power but I'm pretty sure that means the rear suspension is moving.

Love the bike as my go to for everything but cross racing and XC racing. I can't seem to want to convert to 29er despite having ridden tons of high end models. 26er is just too fun.

[Apr 26, 2011]
carlosferreira1975

OVERALL
Strength:

Climbs like a goat, goes down like it should, bike is solid and I wish Intense would go back to making more of them...

Could be lighter if made of carbon fiber

I already had 2 of them... I have not tried the new stuff of Intense yet. I am not sure if the company is going down but I have noticed that there is always one less bike shop working with Intense... The Ferrari of the Mt bikes...
Intense, yOu need a better website, You need better sales people...

Trek Fuel, Yeti 575, Intense Sprider, Turner...

[Mar 29, 2011]
1gr8sailor

OVERALL
Strength:

Everything

I wish the headtube were a degree slacker, but it's a minor gripe.

I've had more frames than digits on my hands--including 29'ers. This one is my favorite. I still keep other bikes in my small stable(a 29'er), but this one is without a doubt the one that can do it all, and does it so well. I always come off of this bike with a smile. It's hard to explain what makes it so special--It just suits my style I suppose-- plush, nimble, flickable, fast, stiff enough to not shutter in the rough, efficient uphill, awesome downhill, can still fit a water bottle in the triangle(hate that new frames usually can't). Too bad they do not make it anymore, it's a winner.

All the bikes listed in my "similar products used" were great bikes too. This one just tops them in my opinion.

Intense Spider, Specialized Epic, Intense 6.6, Kona Dawg, Niner Jet9, Niner Rip9.

[Apr 21, 2010]
trailbruiser

OVERALL
Strength:

Excellent built, rear shock Manitou SPV 4 way, killer looks, relative light weight for a 5.5 inch travel bike. Best all around bike and weighs only 27 lbs.

NONE!!!!!!!!!!!! If you consider tightening the main pivot bolts once in a while not a big deal, then NONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is now my 5th bike since I started riding almost 4 years ago. My riding style evolved from light XC to both aggressive XC and aggressive all mountainfree ride. I like to both climb and descend very fast. I also love taking the odd 3 foot drops or jumpsunny hops and attack any trail either single track or downhill fire roads. My last bike was a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro 08 with the brain. It sure made me a better climber due to the brain. However, the Stumpy twitches and bounces a lot on very bumpy and fast descends which made me feel very nervous. Got rid of the bike just after one year due to the Specialized rear shock blowing oil through the rebound knob. I was told by the dealer that the advertised Stumpy as a trail bike can't be bunny hopped or dropped any more than a foot.

Now comes the Intense. Israel Dee at John Wilkie bike shop offered me a trade-in on a used Intense 5.5 EVP. Ever since I finally found the frame that matches my riding style and never looked back. The VPP suspension of the 5.5 climbs almost as good as the Stumpy's brain technology. both bike doesn't need to be manually locked out during steep climbs. It automatically locks out when needed and absorbs bumps just when it needs to. The 5.5 though descends like no other bike I've owned. This bike definitely gave me the confidence to climb like a mountain goat and descend like a mad man on any fast downhill rough and bumpy roads. Just go down as fast as you can and not having to worry about a smooth line. You can't ride this bike and not feel the need to speed. It's not for the faint hearted, cruise in the park bike rider. The Talas 32 up front coupled with the Manitou SPV 4 way rear shock sure gives the bike a very plush without sacrificing the feel and control. Some bikes are more plush but doesn't give the feel of "you're going too fast and out of control". This bike wants to be ridden hard, kill or be killed take no prisoners approach. I've taken this bike around the tightest single tracks and swithcbacks and blew a lot of other bikers away. I've done an all day ride and not feel tired or beat up. My bike is an Intense red on a Fulcrum Red Metal Zero all red on black spokes wheelset. I just love the killer and aggressive look of the bike. I will never own a Ferrari but this bike is the closest thing for me to owning one on two wheels. The Stumpy is also an awesome frame but if you want a 6 lb, epic, climbing, descending, single track, switchbacks do it all bike and have the dough, then get this frame. Thats if you can find one as Intense discountinued the 5.5's. Thanks to Jeff Steber.

Merida Mats 500, Merida Mission 2000, Merida AM 3000, Specialized Stumpjumer FSR Pro 08

[Feb 26, 2010]
jfrederickisme

OVERALL
Strength:

Bomb proof, reliable suspension, Lateral Stiffness, Great in the climbs and fly's on the DH.

Rear suspension pivots have a tendancy to wear out and need replacement regularly.

I have thrown everything I have at this bike and it keeps asking for more. I have not been able to push its limits even after taking 7 foot drops onto flat ground. I have had some trouble with the pivots int he rear suspension but the parts are cheap and most bike shops have seen it frequently enough to easily diagnose and fix the issue. I have ridden several other bikes and have yet to find one that compares to the suspension. I love the VPP and dont ever forsee myself getting a different bike. Only an upgrade to the new Tracer. This thing is tougher than a Timex.

only 4 flamers due to linkage issues.

[Aug 30, 2009]
wilsonblur

OVERALL
Strength:

American Built, great attention to detail, CNC work is fantastic as well as the head tube gusset, great welds and craftsmanship, small things like I didn't have to shim the rear IS brake tabs differently because they were aligned from the factory, great riding up or down, I can out ride my brakes on this

Powder Coat is not great, it stains after every muddy ride, its also flaking under the seat post collar, stickers are cheap, give me laser etching, I hate the RP23 2008 LV so I switched to the HV which is so much better, the LV wrecks the ride. Really sensitive to brake dive and crown to axle heights, more than other bikes I have owned. Slightly flexy in the rear.

Great all mountain bike. If you like the VPP there's some old new stock out there to build a great all mountain bike with this as the center piece. I love it because it can almost do it all. Its perfect for me now that I have the HV RP23 and a Fox TALAS 140mm, supple on the small stuff and deep on the big stuff. I had some issues with crown to axle and brake dive on my Magura, but the Fox fixes all that combined with a King 5mm base plate. Its at home in just about any situation other than a real downhill course or Northshore trail. It climbs well and descends better. I love VPP!! Many guys have complained about bearings, but mine is an 08 and I have ridden in Les Gets France which was the muddiest place I have ever ridden, Lake District England, and Scotland this summer. All those wet and I do mean wet rides and not a peep out of the bearings. We'll see as it gets older I may do the bearings and get a better powder coat on it.

RM Element Race, Ellsworth Truth, SC Blur Classic

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.