Giant Reign 3 All Mountain Full Suspension

The Reign 3 is a monster-travel machine and a freakish value. Its Giant rear suspension and Manitou Splice fork offer 150 and 130mm travel respectively to handle whatever you can dish out. Plus, the sweet components from Alex, Race Face, Easton and Shimano are built for flawless function and durability.

[Nov 11, 2012]
Jordan Sutherland

OVERALL
Strength:

Very strong bike. Light weight, socks up the bumps very well 6 inches of travel. Rock shox Tora forks
Manatue swinger back shock Shimano LX components really good if you upgrade brakes to juicy 5

Could be better at climbing but still good

Excellent bike highly recommend buying one.

[Mar 24, 2010]
BradC

OVERALL
Strength:

Value for money. GREAT entry level ride. Makes a newbie feel like a pro.

Currently, I am weaker than the product so could not tell you.

Great entry level bike. I'm a newbie and have PUNISHED this ride (lotsa crashes) - no problems, it is tough. Has taken me down some of the harshest trails the North Shore has to offer. I'm not talking Flying Circus or anything, but it can handle Ned's, C-buster, Pipeline, etc. with no problems whatsoever. It has been fantastic. Locking out the Fox pro pedal on rear with Maestro makes a massive difference for technical climbing without bobbing - really great. Soaks up bigger drops than you'd expect for an all mountain, and even thought it doesn't have the head angle of the DH rigs you can still handle crazy steep roll outs. A great all-rounder that rides a pay grade above what you paid. Now I've got my eyes on the 2010 Reign X0...

'97 Kona Hahanna(!), and, once, a borrowed Kona Dawg

[Sep 03, 2009]
Anonymous

OVERALL
Strength:

Awesome frame and shock, mostly good components, great for up and down, pretty light, good value for money

Manitou Splice fork not so good... Seemed good at the time (due to lack of experience), and worked alright as a fork for about a year, then the bushings started to go, then the rebound went... Got some nice Marz AM3 now. Same situation with the Hayes Soles... Seemed good at the time, and worked nicely, but as time went by they just weren't up to the job. Hayes Strokers fixed that nicely. Rear shock, while good, does tend to lose air pretty rapidly. Maybe need to fill up about every 3-4 weeks, or less. Umm the LX mechs didn't work well for me. They worked, just not very nicely. Also the saddle is falling apart a bit now, but that's to be expected really. That about all I can complain about.

Amazing bike, when it's got the right components on it. Stock works absolutely fine, and could manage pretty much anything, it's just I'm a bit of a perfectionist and like my bike to run and stop nicely. Rear shock can handle the big stuff, from the drops to extreme brake bumps and high speed, and can handle equally the long climbs to the quick bursts rocky ascents. That is, when it has enough air in it. Most people saying it can't do up haven't got it set up right. When it is, it performs superbly. I can out do friends on hardtails due to the Maestro system giving me the stability on rocks and roots without the bob. So, I would defintiely recommend this bike if you're prepared to upgrade some parts, and if you aren't it will still do the job.

Rocky Mountain Slayer, Giant XTC, uhh... Apolla Vendetta...

[Aug 06, 2009]
BlackSCRunner

OVERALL
Strength:

6" Travel, Reasonably Lighweight, Awesome frame for the money, better deal than other Reign models, upgrade to suit, save money OR get it just like you like it!

Some components required immediate replacement due to my personal tastes; splice fork was junk way undersized for this rig, deraillers and shifters were terrible, this is mainly due to the foolish rapid-rise system. I swapped my old XT 9 speed triggers and deraillers in, problem solved. Stock bars are low and heavy, stock stem is to long, conti tires were terrible, trailbears rock! wtb saddle a little uncomfy for me, but not terrible...loveseat is overkill, but nice! grips were not good, oury is the way to go! The stock components work fine, I just did not like some of them. Friends have this bike stock and are happy. The bike is heavier than very high end 6" rigs, and of course high end hardtails. This is me being picky...

I haven't been looking at the newer models (from Giant or anyone else) since I bought this bike. So, I don't know if there are better bikes for the money out there now, but when I bought this, there weren't. I moved from a hardtail to this, and I rode a LOT of FS rigs (including some MUCH more expensive models) before deciding on this bike. You can ride it as is, or upgrade to suit, and the frame is killer! I only notice that my bike (sporting 2.5's) is slow/heavy on pavement or open fireroads when the XC boys blast by me, but on tight gnarly single track, steep downhills, and rock gardens, I feel right at home. I think on some stuff I am a lot faster, a lot easier on my lightweight hardtail, but on anything rough I am having a LOT more fun on this bike. FWIW I like the looks of the 2005 design better than the newer models through 08. As I look now, the '09 does look pretty sweet though! If you are looking for a 6" travel bike on somewhat of a budget, I would strongly consider throwing a leg over one of these!

Specialized Enduro, Bighit, I test rode a lot of bikes in this category I wish I could remember them all, but the Reign beat them all!

[Aug 06, 2009]
mtnbikerb

OVERALL
Strength:

Soaks up hits,bumps,rocks,and roots really well with little to no chain slap.

Bobs like a cork while fishing for bream. Sluggish Climbs. Rear Shock needs to be rebuilt.

Good investment for entry level full suspension but I wish I could afford a Santa Cruz or Rocky Mountain which would probably reduce the bob. Nevertheless, would recommend.

Had a GT XCR 3000 Idrive before this.

[Feb 24, 2009]
Anonymous

OVERALL
Strength:

Great Frame Design and Rear Suspension. Really soaks up the bumps and big hits. Most components are decent spec.

Hayes So1e brakes will probably break, Splice fork is heavy and not very supple, stock tires are pretty sketchy

This is a great bike to have for technical riding. The splice fork is pretty clunky and heavy. I replaced it with a Magura AM fork and everything got smoother.

The Hayes brakes are cheap. They do have good power and modulation if you're a lightweight like me (150lbs), but I can see how they would not be adequate for heavier riders. They also aren't very durable, I broke a seal or something on the rear brake after only half a season of riding.

The pedals, drivetrain, rims, and Shimano components are all top notch. If you have the scratch to go up a model (Reign 2 or 1) you may save yourself some money in the long run but this bike is perfectly upgradable down the road.

[Sep 25, 2008]
9teen8ty4

OVERALL
Strength:

Bought the 2006 model of this bike last year in 2007. Have really enjoyed riding this bike at my local trails. The frame is definitely the best part of this bike, as well as the Fox Float R that comes stock. The sram X-7 shifters and rear derailleur that come stock are great too. This bike is great for riding on challenging up and down single track trails, and some light freeride stuff.

The main weaknesses that I found are the, stock fork (replaced it with a Rock Shox Pike 454), stock wheel set (replaced it with Mavic 729 disc), stock brakes (replacing them next season with avid juicy 5's or 7's), and finally the stock tires (replaced them with Kenda Nevegal 2.35 Tomac's)

Stock, this is a good all mountain trail bike. With a few tweaks and upgrades this bike can be a great all mountain trail bike. Been riding it for nearly two whole seasons up here in Canada, and this bike has not given me any major headaches yet. Buy this bike.

Nothing.

[Sep 02, 2008]
Octiva

OVERALL
Strength:

Long travel gives more fun on stairs and lower drop-offs. Geo's very fit for me, drivetrain's fine

A little bit heavy for me. Rear Shock without lockout. Tora fork sucks so I changed a Vanilla RLC on. Stock wheelset's suck too, waiting for a new X430/XTR disc wheelset. Stock WTB 2.3 tires are weak on stairs

Not BAD!!!

[Jul 13, 2008]
sharpbrick

OVERALL
Strength:

the rear suspension is great and the ride position is good. the frame is very solid. climes very well and descends like a bat out of hell! the ground clearance it good for a bike of this type too.

the Hayes sole disk brakes [the 6in rotors are not enough] watch the rear suspension bolts, on my bike they have a tendency to come loose. [that could be because i ride hard almost every day]

this as a amazing bike for what it costs, is amazing at going downhill as well as up hill and the Maestro rear suspension is great! I WOULD RECOMMEND THIS BIKE TO ANY ONE WHO WANTS A ALL MOUNTAIN BIKE!

Specialized XC, Kona Kikapu

[Jul 30, 2007]
Nam

OVERALL
Strength:

climbs better than my old 4" FSR bike and descends a hell of a lot better. This bike has helped me really step up my game. You can fly through rock gardens with no brakes and just point the bike down and it will go there.

seat stay bearings went bad in a few months, upgraded to Enduro

for the money, it is hard to beat the package that Giant gives you. I bought the frame only so i was able to build it to my own spec, but with some changes to the stock bike it can be a sweet ride indeed.

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.