Ellsworth Id All Mountain Full Suspension

• Rear Travel: 6 in / 5 in.
  • Shock Options: Air: Fox AVA R Pro Pedal 5.25", 5th Element 5.25" Coil: Fox Vanilla RC ProPedal 6", Romic D 6'
  • Fork Travel: Recommended 125-150mm

• USER REVIEWS

[Feb 03, 2019]
    irad

OVERALL
    Strength:

The Ellsworth Id is an all Mtn backwoods trail bike that can handle just about anything. Tony Ellsworth said the “California” mod for the Id changes out the rear shock to give it a slacker head angle to bomb the downhills. The Id is the precursor to the Ellsworth Truth. The craftsmanship of the frame is second to none. The Id is an excellent all arounder.

Weaknesses of the Id are few. It’s not for the weight weines. The bike is from a time of no through axles.

Purchased:
    Used
    [Apr 08, 2014]
    Brian Kelliher
    All Mountain Rider

OVERALL
    Strength:

This bike rocks period..... I'm on my second season on this bike. Frame,finish, easy to maintain, very quick out of the corners, stable at high speeds. Great over all mountain bike.

Tire clearance. That's it!!!

I'm 210lb on a good day :-) I wanted a rugged bike that I could ride in a aggressive manner. Well I found it. I'm fifty years old,, so I won't be going off 6' drops but I still like to rip! If your looking for a all around mt bike the Ellsworth ID is it. Its not a xc bike,but does xc very well. Its not a free ride or down hill bike, but does both well. I would recommend this bike without hesitation.

Last bike was Santa Cruz Blur LT

[May 31, 2011]
    CAVIN

OVERALL
    Strength:

Pretty finish

The worst bike company this side of Huffy. New frame was out of alignment. Replaced with a rear triangle from a different model. They kept my bike form May till the end of September. They would not pick up the phone. When they would answer they would say they were working on it and try to sell me a replacement bike. When the bike was finally returned it rode like crap. ANY POSITIVE REVIEW IS LIKELY WRITTEN BY A DEALER OR ELLSWORTH THEMSELVES. a WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY!!!

These bikes are way overpriced, and the CUSTOMER SERVICE IS THE WORST IN THE INDUSTRY. SAVE YOUR MONEY.

Too many good bike to list

[Aug 04, 2008]
    fagundes79

OVERALL
    Strength:

Amazing craftsmanship, BOMB proof finish, classy look, and TREMENDOUS warranty support that recently replaced a rear triangle NO QUESTIONS ASKED!!!

My gutters never get cleaned, my lawn is a mess, and my wife is sans husband during the summer.

Ellsworth owners never buy anything else. There's a reason you don't see many of these for sale used. This is a no-bs-point-and-shoot all mountain wonder!

Intense Spider, Titus Motolite, Scott Spark

[Apr 05, 2006]
    AP

OVERALL
    Strength:

High BB, climbing ability, stability, active susoension.

Poor tire clearance, mud/rocks/sticks/leaves jam up forming a big ball of debris between tire and chainstay.

This is a follow up review to my previous post. After many hours of riding time on this bike I can say that the ID is one fine machine. I have adjusted to the tall fork, high BB and extra weight and I am finally blasting through climbs and descents. I am rolling over most anything in my way and with the help of the high BB, my previous hesitation is no more when confronting tall log piles and boulders. This bike can climb!!! With the flick of the ETA knob on the AM1 I am good to go as the fork is compressed with 30mm to spare - all I need for even the most technical climbs. I also flick the platform knob to + on the RP3. I am suprised to clear technical, steep climbs with greater ease and control, the bike tracks well and maintains grip even on those climbs littered with loose rocks. Going downhill is also a pleasure on this bike as it eats up everything with minimal flex. Maintaining control during high speed cornering can be difficult unless I reduce the fork's travel which isn't much of a problem with the TAS function - only drawback is that you have to let out all of the air before turning TAS knob. I am not having many stability issues with the high BB as I can almost fully compensate by compressing the fork through ETA or TAS functions on the fork. Im my experience the advantages of the high BB far outweigh any disadvantages as I ride mostly techical xc terrain with many tall boulders, rocks and high logs. The bottom line is that I love this bike as it has made mtbiking more fun for me.

Cannondale and Gary Fisher FS bikes, but not even close to similar.

[Mar 28, 2006]
    Thomas Peters

OVERALL
    Strength:

Frame construction, in particular the sealed bearings on the rockers and rear triangle. I'm also impressed with the Pike and the axle hub on the Crossmax XL.

The thick rear drop-outs are nice but they don't work well with even the strongest skewer. I've opted for an old Tranz-X 5-sided allen bolt to keep the wheel from going off whack. My other issue is the rear triangle itself. A comfortable minimum fit is a 2.25" tyre, no larger. A brand such as this ought to have a metal bolt-on or a cnc-cut badge.

With the exception of my Dean Duke Softail (23 lbs) the ID is the best climber I've got. It doesn't feel heavy (32 lbs) on climbs and it's stiff even without SPV. I'm sold on ICT and the simplicity of 'tracking the chain line' but I'm wondering how pivot positions could form a basis of intellectual property, but that's another issue. The ID may not popular over here but looks the business. I'm pushing 50 but I wish I'd purchased when launched 5 years ago during which period I purchased a lemon or two. It should be the 1st frame for anyone to hang on his wall. What sold me was the brand itself, ICT, the shot-peened frame, those lovely exposed bearings and Ellsworth's neck on the line.

Haro MX3 (1998), Trek Liquid 55, Klien Mantra Race (1999)

[Feb 16, 2006]
    Chris Woods

OVERALL
    Strength:

Incredible quality and attention to detail. Ano frame is almost impossible to scratch or ding.

I have found that this bike is an absolute dream to ride. I have begun riding technical terrain that I never dared to do before. This being said the bike still climbs quite well. I do find myself winding down the travel on the Talas for extended climbs. Ellsworth has done a nice job building this frame and the quality of workmanship is top notch. The high bottom took some getting used to but now I roll over downed trees and logs with ease. My only complaint is the lack of mud clearance for the rear tire. However I have probably caused this situation by running 2.4 WTB tires. I would recommend this bike to all XC or AM riders looking for a quality do it all rig.

GT LTS, GT I-drive Santa Cruz Heckler.

[Apr 23, 2004]
    Ryan Steele

OVERALL
    Strength:

Frame design. Spot peaned finish. Higher bottom bracket. Romic racing shock. Weight. Durability. Best 6" travel bike with a full size frame. Very little / no pedal bobbing at all. The front fork feels extra sturdy while going over rough terrain. Super durable frame.

I havn't found any.

Well, I've had this bike now for about 1 year and the bike has held up far better than any other bike I have previously owned. I ride more agressivly now than ever before, and I havn't had a single problem with the bike thus far. This is the best trail bike that I've ever had or ridden. The higher bottom bracket is excellent. The spot peeaned finish is very durable. The romic racing shock has a great amount of adjustabliity. I found that the SRAM X.0 works better than the Shimano XTR as far as shifting. Its nice to have a bike w/ 5 - 6" of travel that I can still peddal uphill. Bottom line, the bike has made me a much better and more agressive rider. I'm very satisfied with the Ellsworth ID. The guys over at Richards in Chicago were very helpful and professional as well. Even a year after owning this bicycle, they still give me any needed adjustments for free without hassle, sometimes on the spot! I shopped all over and found their shop to be the best. Now I even ride with the guys from Richards, whom most ride an Ellsworth ID too.

None similar, but I've had a Cannondale Gemeni, Ruckus 2.0 Hardtail

[Apr 10, 2004]
    Jim Sener

OVERALL
    Strength:

strength to weight ratio, efficiency

frame is quite spendy

I owned a TRUTH for 5 years and when it came time to buy a new bike, I went with the 2004 ID. The first week I had it, I did a one 55 mile ride and it was awesome from start to finish. It rides beatifully, climbs great, decends with confidence. If you want an all around bike that can climb like a goat and fly down, this bike is sweet.

Ellsworth TRUTH, FSR

[Feb 24, 2004]
    Jim Hill

OVERALL
    Strength:

CUSTOMER SERVICE!! It is by far they strength of this product! I feel like I bought a Mercedes, Mondo and Kathy made me feel my happiness was there priority and were very prompt with responding to the issues I took up with them. To me this goes a long way (especially after dealing with ROCKSHOX BS!) since I tend to keep nice things a long time.

None that I am aware of so far,, but if and when there are any you will be the first to know.

At this point I have not had a chance to really blast with it yet, I just finish building it and took it around the block a few times. So far so good. So all I can tell you is that it is beautifully crafted (take it from a welder, it is the friggin work of an artist!) It was a lil difficult jiggin the shifter cable through the seat stay but I got it down pat now. When I saw the gusset that Ellsworth used on the rear seat stay (D tube style) it appears to be more than enough material added to keep it together- AS LONG AS IT IS RIDDEN IN ITS ELEMENT! Before you buy this thinking that because its a 6" travel frame and others have gotten away with 6-7' drops, don't plan on it! Buy a MOMENT model or if you are extreme Freeridin fool save your pennies for a DARE, THIS IS a long travel, light weight XC-Trail bike, these frames are as good as they get for what they are designed for. Don't make the mistake other reviewers made and buy the wrong frame for the wrong application, choose wisely, but choose Ellsworth!

Specialized,K2,Diamondback,Schwinn uh basically similar in that they all had tires on them and a seat.

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.