Surly Big Dummy Cargo Bikes

• Tire clearance: 26 x 2.5" with fenders

[Sep 26, 2013]
minte

OVERALL
Strength:

Excellent build quality
Simple and strong
26 " platform means you can use all those leftover wheels, tires and other parts you have lying around

None noted so far

This bike has been transformative! I use it as my everyday commuter bike and I've only driven a car to work once since I've owned it, and that was so I could go get new fenders. I have a short three or four mile commute to a busy job. That three or four miles is about the only time in my day that I don't have to focus on anybody else and can just enjoy a few minutes of quiet. I always have to wear dress clothes at work and need to haul a laptop often. None of this is an issue with this bike. You really don't need to worry about how you pack or how much you need to bring and its wonderful. Want to go to the gym after work? Bring an extra pair of clothes and shoes for that. Not an issue. See a garage sale on the way to work? Stop by, who knows what you'll find. I can shop for groceries if I feel like it, and don't need to worry about the size of backpack or panniers that I bring. Lock? Its always in there somewhere. Need to bring a dress jacket for a meeting? It fits fine. I talked the family into heading out for a long ride down a rails to trails path. I ended up hauling lunch, extra water, locks, tools, tubes and several jackets for everybody and none of this was a problem. Riding along the mostly flat tree lined trail turned into one of the most memorable rides I've ever had. It was by no means epic in the traditional biking sense; it was unplanned, highly disorganized and we averaged about 5 mph. This bike enables you to have all of that, and still make it a great time.

I love this bike and I can't remember when I've had a bike that I enjoy more. Above all else, its just a really nice bike to ride. It feels solid, well built and predictable; with functionality that still blows me away. Surly probably won't like this comparison, but its a bit like having a mini-van. You can throw a bunch of crap inside it; haul whatever you want to, and just not worry about it. It may not be as fast as that anorexic little high maintenance, moody, carbon fiber speedster in the garage, but its always there to ride when you want it, however you want to, with plenty of room for when the in-laws come to visit.

This is hands down the most useful and enjoyable bike that I've ever owned.

All mountain Kona Dawg
Specialized flat bar hybrid road/commuter bike
Salsa Mukluk snow bike

[May 30, 2013]
NZPeterG

OVERALL
Strength:

Large load carrying capability, Nimbleness, Colour (love the green :-) )
New Dummy Bags, Racks, and Top Plate.

Cost.

I just got my New N.O.S. Dummy last week and I have not been on my MTB for the last week! I can ride into town and then think O' I need to go shopping to the weeks food shopping, with the Dummy I can just go around to the shop and do the shopping it just fit's into the Big Bags.

[Jul 12, 2012]
bicyclenomad

OVERALL
Strength:

Carrying capacity - shopping, DIY, children, adults, kayaks and general luggage
Good handling with load (well secured) - including technical mountain biking (singletrack) and pavement
Standard parts compatibility (apart from extended chain/cabling) vs other load-carrying options.
Robust - only frame problem over 28000km off-road was a broken kickstand plate (welded in Mexico). Frame and bike build stood up to a lot of punishment that I wouldn't have trusted a standard Xtracycle build to manage.

Compared to pannier systems, Freeloader bags are relatively slower to load and unload, but flexibility off loading more than offsets this.
Heavy to pick up and throw over fences etc compared to standard wheelbase unloaded bicycles.
Possible to carry too much stuff - doesn't encourage packing minimisation! :-)

Review based on a mostly off-road tour from Canada to Tierra del Fuego (www.bicyclenomad.com) - 28,000km over 20 months. (also see more detailed review with photos here: http://bicyclenomad.com/2012/07/10/reckoning-tour-testing-a-surly-big-dummy/)

Overall, given that I can happily run narrow slick tyres and go fast on-road, pop in to the shops without forethought and offer people lifts, and ride technical singletrack together with my already mentioned touring experience on it: possible the most flexible, useful bike I could ever hope to own.

[Jun 01, 2012]
bugly64

OVERALL
Strength:

The Surly Big Dummy combines nimbleness with large load carrying capability. The Dummy acclimates to touring better than any other cargo bike as well.

Some think it expensive. Not many color options.

The Big Dummy works well with the leasurely trip to the store or shopping for the week for a family of 6.

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.