Ventana El Comandante 29er Hardtail

Ventana El Comandante 29er SS Frame: "The Commander" Utilizing many of the same features as El Padrino, our 29? single speed El Comandante allows you to not only go gearless and fearless, but also go rigid.

[Jun 25, 2019]
Old Grinds

OVERALL
Strength:

Like all Ventana frames this bike is very stiff so It rails the turns and accelerates quick. The welds are beautiful and the frame angles make it a do everything well bike.

The only weakness with this single speed bike is the rider.

Price Paid:
Purchased:
Used
Model Year:
2010
[May 09, 2012]
rootsandrocks

OVERALL
Strength:

Fast, light, stiff but not harsh, great craftsmanship, excellent customer service.

No such thing

I got the El Commandante Ultimate and all I got to say is that I love this ride. With no lateral flex in the frame, climbing feels effortless. And bombing downhill leaves a huge grin on my face. The cosmic orange color looks great. And last but not least, the customer service was top-notch. Teresa, Sherwood and the crew at Ventana were extremely helpful and willing to answer any question(s) that I had. Thanks Ventana.

[Apr 15, 2012]
David Potts

OVERALL
Strength:

Solid frame, great welds, outstanding customer service,

This bike rocks! Had tons of high end bikes in 20+ years of mountain biking. Frame is solid but does not punish or beat you up. Carves single track like you are on rails. Rocker drop outs are super easy to adjust. Ordered from my LBS, Outspokin Bikes in Woodstock GA, and got my custom color delivered in less than two weeks. Looking for a great riding singles speed or geared hard tail, buy this frame!

[Jun 24, 2011]
avidrider

OVERALL
Strength:

Speed, strength, simplicity

none so far

First Foray into 29er and so far I am in deep smit. Bike runs well maybe a bit more wiggly when climbing than my bianchi was but otherwise a blast. Keeps rolling when I take the momentary climbing pause to catch my wind. Very stable and rigid, flexes less than my bianchi did. Great product.

Bianchi Boss

[Jan 20, 2011]
mdavenpo2000

OVERALL
Strength:

Easy company to deal with; frame is strong and light without feeling harsh; can handle rough and rocky singletrack and still track precisely.

None that I can think of.

Great bike. Jack be nimble, jack be quick. Yes, my bike's name is Jack for the purposes of this review. This bike likes to go fast and hard. Corners great. Frame is torsionally stiff. On my Karate Monkey, which I rode forever, I could feel it start to wallow at high speeds in tight, rocky singletrack. The El Commandante is a huge upgrade. I'd recommend this frame to anyone. I'd also recommend visiting Sherwood at their factory if you are close enough to drive. Worth every penny!

Surly Karate Monkey, Santa Cruz Tallboy

[Nov 08, 2010]
UT Badger

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, great geometry, climbs great

none so far

This is absolutely the best bike I have ever ridden. I got the frame from Ventana's summer sale, then spent way more than I was originally planning for the rest of the build up - but every time I ride it I know that it was worth every penny. This is the most comfortable bike I have ridden - that's saying alot for a rigid SS and comparing it to my FS cross-country bike. Put some tubeless wheels/tires on this and the ride is awesome. Without trying I built up the bike to only 22.7 lbs. If you spent the cash you could easily get it under 20. I was a bit nervous about going with aluminum for a rigid, but this frame gives an incredibly smooth ride for aluminum. My previous rigid SS was an aluminum and carbon fiber mix and it wasn't anywhere near as smooth a ride as the Ventana. I love how responsive and flickable the bike is without being jarring. Its just a blast to ride. This bike makes me want to, and enables me to ride longer. Since I got it I've been doing 4+ hour rides every weekend along with 2-3 shorter rides during the week. Longest ride was 78 miles. Definitely comfortable and fast enough to race on. I have adjusted the EBB when playing with a couple different cogs, but never cleaned it since putting it together and I have has no problems whatsoever - not the slightest creek. Would recommend this to anyone who wants a fast, responsive, and fun bike that they can ride long on.

nothing comparable

[Apr 12, 2009]
smoen81

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, Stiff, custom geometry fits me perfectly, color (custom)

none so far, maybe the fact that longer waterbottles don't fit easily into the cages. That's not really a frame flaw, as much as it is due to the small size of the frame.

This is the fastest, best bike I have ever ridden, period. I opted for the semi-custom geometry and I have never had a bike fit me as well as this one. I would highly recommend this frame to anyone and everyone looking for a singlespeed. It goes exactly where you point it and tracks amazingly. great bike.

Fisher Rig, Vassago Jabberwocky

[Aug 08, 2008]
robotkiller

OVERALL
Strength:

Looks cool, pretty welds, rides great, EBB just works

Stickers. Downtube clearance issues.

Basically, this is the best bike I have ever ridden -- even better than my custom IF. Alot of this has to do with the huge advantages of 29" wheels. The bike builds up light, carves nicely, is stiff as hell and is beautifully welded. It's the first bike I've ridden that just feels perfect. I literally wouldn't change a thing about how it rides.

It isn't completely perfect though....

I wish the stickers were clearcoated b/c they tear easily.

The biggest problem I had was with downtube clearance -- I had to modify my fork to clear. I think they may have remedied this with newer models. When I bought my frame, gussets were an option, so 80mm is the max travel that can be used. This, however, is not a problem for me, as 80mm is my preference.

The paint color (Superdust) looks cool, but the paint doesn't compare to the IF. This is not a surprise at all, so I wouldn't count it against the Ventana.

The EBB works well, has not budged and is a clean solution. No complaints there.

Whether it's design or the 29 inch wheels, I can't say, but this bike rides better than any hardtail I've tried. It's so smooth over terrain that I swear it reminds me of riding full suspension. There isn't a trace of harshness, contrary to conventional wisdom about Al frames. To top it off, this is probably the stiffest frame I've ridden, with tremendous efficiency and control.

The combo of a stiff frame, 29 wheels and perfect geometry adds up to bike that makes you feel invincible. This is the only hardtail that is as fun to ride as a FS with greater efficiency and quickness than any FS could ever hope to match.

Indy Fab Steel Deluxe, Santa Cruz Heckler, Turner Burner

[Jul 29, 2008]
willem3

OVERALL
Strength:

Where do I begin!! This frame is superb. I have ridden many hardtails and this is the best by far. The geometry, stiffness, quality, finish, welds, etc are all incredible. The support from Ventana was great as usual. Thanks for designing a great singlespeed 29er frame Sherwood!

None. Bullet proof!

Superb!! I have another Ventana, an X-5. This bike is the perfect compliment. I am a happy man! Highly recommended. I bought the frame from Ventana directly. It is a 2007 18 inch Superdust El Comandante.

Jamis, Other Ventana's, Kona, etc.

[Apr 28, 2007]
Manny

OVERALL
Strength:

Light,stiff,Ventana craftsmanship

It causes you to overtrain since you want to ride it all day every day, it is making me not want to order a FS geared frame

By far the best bike I have ever owned(and I have owned many over the years i.e Litespeed, Merlin, Intense, C'dale, Fat City, IF, and other Ventana frames) to name a few. There is really nothing I would change about this bike. Climbing is seemingly effortless and the bike inspires the confidence to descend like a FS bike. I can't really explain it except that I start riding and four hours later I can't believe I have been riding that long. The 29er wheel really makes a big difference in smoothing out the ride of an aluminum hardtail. For those looking for a geared 29er hardtail, the El Padrino is the geared version of this bike although you don't get the beer bottle opener that was put to good use tonight after riding. Mr.Gibson really outdid himself with this frame. It is expensive thus the 4 chilis for value, but like they say, you get what you pay for.

Have ridden or owned too many to list

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.