Vassago Bicycle Company Jabberwocky 29er Hardtail

Push a built Vassago Jabberwocky Frame to the limits of traction, and youAAAll leave show-pony 29ers in the dust. While other companies lumbered along with trusty tradition, Vassago played 29er mad scientist and dialed the predicable, tight handling and climb-devouring WetCat geometry. Now stodgy companies are playing catch-up with gimmicky twenty-niners. Leave the fancy paint jobs, cool-boy integrated bottle openers, and hastily developed geometries on the bandwagon; your riding styleAAAs too refined to waste on me-too-wagon-wheels.

[Jan 15, 2019]
mdavenpo2000

OVERALL
Strength:

Love the Wetcat geometry and matching ODIS fork. Excellent descender and climber. Steel is real.

Jabbernuts a little flimsy, but they do work as intended.

Price Paid:
2009
[Sep 13, 2013]
FATSS29

OVERALL
Strength:

wetcat geo, handling, fun, fun, fun!!!

jabber nuts, replaced with redline bmx chain tensioners.

I've been on this bike for 3 years now and it's the only hardtail I'll ever own! Paired up with a carbon Niner fork, Hadley's, and flow's Profile bmx race cranks and topped off with some killer Deity parts this bike rocks! Every time I ride it I can't believe how smooth it is. I liked my RL flight monocog but it beat my 250lbs up, so I went with the jabber because of the geo / longer cs and never looked back! A much smoother ride now. I don't know the weight but it's light, 50+ mile rides no problem. If you're shopping around for a hardtail this is the one!! This bike gets a lot of chili's for a reason. Well done Vassago.

Redline flight monocog,

[Jan 17, 2013]
hackshoemaker

OVERALL
Strength:

Wet Cat Geo gives unbelievable able ride. Climbs like a goat.

Jabber Nuts not standard. Not really a weakness just dont be cheap up front, they are worth it.

This bike is really on to something with the geometry. I am coming off of a '11 Kona Hei-Hei 29 deluxe. Once i put the FS down and got on this I am not looking back. Just got in a '12 Lefty PBR and can not wait to see what this bike feels like. Beware the Jabberwocky my son!

[Feb 27, 2012]
one incredible donkey

OVERALL
Strength:

Incredible "Wet Cat" geometry brings confidence into all riding situations. It's also the first bike I've ever owned in my life that doesn't produce bike envy. I can look at so many sexy bikes on MTBR "Post your so-and-so" threads and I don't even want any of them because I've got such a hot thang at home.

None that I have found in two years. The bike climbs well and descends like a raging sex-starved Norwegian king on his way to a hot tub party with Mila Kunis, Scarlett Johansson, and a pony keg of Bell's Two Hearted ale.

The Jabberwocky is arguably the best bang for the buck in 29er hardtail singlespeeds. Built well its a lightweight, versatile beast capable of anything thrown at it. And did I mention Mila Kunis and Scarlett Johannson in a hot tub with Bell's Two Hearted? It's that good.

Prior to this bike, I had a Transition Preston. I had never so much as swung a leg over a 29er but I pulled the trigger during a Black Friday sale and from the first ride, it was love. My friend tried my bike and now, not surprisingly, he has a Jabberwocky as well. I've never missed the Preston at all, and I don't think I'll ever get tired of this bike.

None.

[Nov 08, 2011]
multistrada

OVERALL
Strength:

As mentioned many times - Super sweet ride quality

none so far

Have a carbon fiber hard tail as well and the ride quality differential between these 2 bikes is astounding. The Jabber is both an excellent climber and a great smooth descender.
I also owned a Redline Monocog FLight 29er just prior to the Jabber and i really enjoyed it however what really stands out with the Jabberwocky is its silky smooth riding characteristics. I dont think it can be touched in this price range.

Redline Monocog FLight 29er

[Oct 23, 2011]
liers99

OVERALL
Strength:

Pretty light for a steel frame. Decent geometry. Great pricepoint.

None so far

Bought the bike used and was great buy. Rode 28 miles on it my first trip out. At first it was slow and clumsy cause I was trying to ride it like a 26er. Once I figured out how to throw it around the corners it flys. The harder you lean it the more it wants to lean. The way I have in setup its 24.5 pounds with pedals. Not bad for a steel bike. Very impressed with the ride and can't say anything bad about the frame.

Trek 7000 SS, Superfly SS

[Oct 02, 2011]
Smidy

OVERALL
Strength:

Great geometry! Big enough that my 6'5 220lb body fits it. climbs great, ESP with the 32' deity black label bars for leverage!

Paint scratches easy

This bike has made me a much better rider, I spared no expense and it Is an absolute monster, i feel like it could climb up a tree. A little slow to get going but I'm sure thAt is due to the Ardents, going to run them through the winter and switch to small block 8's. Also going to try to get an Odis fork for winter riding, Vassago is a cool company and they make a great frame, I get lots of questions and looks on this bike, truely unique! I highly suggest for anyone who wants to improve their skills, and for the a few who Are just sick....a good way to embarrass those carbon riding tight wearing elitist.

Origin8 blackOps

[Sep 10, 2011]
Flat Ark

OVERALL
Strength:

One of the lightest steel frames that I have found anywhere close to this price point. Super smooth ride for a hard tail. I've had a couple of Salsa Dos Niners and this bike "really is" just as smooth as the Dos! Great looking finish/styling! The horizontal dropouts are nice and simple as well as being light weight!

I really haven't found any. I initially had trouble with my rear wheel staying centered but a used $10 Shimano XT skewer off of Ebay remedied that!

This is a VERY smooth riding frame! You definitely feel like you are riding "in the bike".

Personally I didn't like how long/low the bike felt. I prefer my bikes to feel a little more nimble/XC'ish but I didn't want to give up on the bike because I really liked how smooooooth it rides so I tried it with an 80mm Reba Race fork, a Salsa El Mariachi fork, a Niner Carbon fork and finally a DT Swiss Rigid fork. The handling with the first 3 forks really felt pretty much the same from one fork to the next. The DT Swiss however made this bike feel completely different. The bike feels much more compact and I am back to having more of a "perched on top" feel but the rear end of the bike is still super smooth. All in all I'm really happy with the bike now!

Redline Flight 29er, GT Peace 9r, Salsa Selma

[May 14, 2011]
PAmtbiker

OVERALL
Strength:

Durable frame, excellent geometry, good vibration dampening, laterally stiff, looks sexy

Have to tighten the rear QR super tight to keep it from slipping, even with the better chain tensioners. Problem could be easily solved with a bolt on rear hub, but I don't have one... Wish there was clearance for a 2.4" tire plus mud in the rear.

This was the first 29er I bought. I like it a lot. It's the only bike I've kept for more than two years so far. It is super stable on the descents due to the long-ish wheelbase, easily scoots up technical climbs, and is fun to play around on in rocky sections. Every time I ride this bike it puts a smile on my face. That's the best review a bike can have. I do wish I could put a 2.4" tire in the rear though. 5 chilis for value ($550 for frame and fork is great) and 4 for overall because of the lack of huge tire clearance.

C-dale Caffeine/Flash 29er (both geared)

[Jan 14, 2011]
rob1208lv

OVERALL
Strength:

Solid strong Steel, Geometry, great handling, absorbs impacts well, simple, clean

Tad Heavy compared to AL, TI, or carbon frames

After reading reviews and comparing the geometry, I was a septic. They were selling the frames 1/2 off so I pulled the trigger on one. This bike handles really well absorbs hits like a full suspension. Handles way better than my E.M.D. and monocog. It's a tad heavy, but After a 25 + miler in the rough desert terrain, I feel refreshed and ready for more. Perfect ride for endurance 24hr racing.

Niner E.M.D., Redline Monocog

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.