Trek Wahoo 29er Hardtail

29ers are versatile enough to serve XC and trail riders, and their unbeatable efficiency and momentum make them the ultimate singlespeed weapon.

[Sep 18, 2019]
digitalayon

OVERALL
Strength:

The frame is the strength of this thing....I beat my bike to hell and it keeps going. I do not know what it originally had as I got just the frame and fork used.

Fork sucks!!! I hate the green.

Price Paid:
[Oct 20, 2015]
Shawn
Downhiller

OVERALL
Strength:

This bike can do it all!!!!!!!!!!!! Road Biking, Trail riding, XC races, All Mountain riding, Downhill riding, Urban/Skate park riding and Freestyle Riding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Made for XC riding and is not amazing at really anything.

This bike can do it all, and I have done every aspect of biking with my trek wahoo. I started off riding XC trails with my 29er tires, then I bought road bike tires and put them on my wahoo and road biked with it for a while (not the best road bike but it can be done!!!). Then I got into downhill mountain biking and brought my Wahoo out to Colorado and rode Key Stone, Beaver creek and much more. The bike isn't the best for downhill but it gets me down the hill in one piece!!!!! Finally, I just got into Freestyle mountain biking ( the best kind of mountain biking) and I have been hitting big jumps, road gaps, and 5+ foot drops on this Trek wahoo!!!!!!!! Winter is here and I will be going to Rays Indoor MTB with this bike and I'm sure it will do just fine!!!! IMPORTANT: it is probably important to note that I have replace every single part on this bike except the fork, but I have replace most parts with stock parts. To sum it up, This bike can do everything, all you need is a different set of wheels for whatever your doing!!!!!!!!!!

[Sep 21, 2014]
Luke Schar

OVERALL
Strength:

Price
Look

Fork, Tires, Components, Brakes

For the price this bike isn't bad although i do wish they would have used a sram drivetrain. The tires that came on mine were pathetic and made you slide all over the trail. When doing any jumps etc the fork would bottom out. The brakes are just touchy but other than that work ok. The componentry is ok when it is broke in but isn't as good as higher end.

Trek Marlin SS

[Aug 15, 2014]
Andrew

OVERALL
Strength:

Looks, Saddle, Handlebars, and the fork isn't too bad in my opinion.

Wheels, Gears, Brakes, Weight, Tires!

I have had the 2013 model now for 6 months b ought from new. So far there hang been a single thing that I have had to replace, apart from the rear tire which is getting rather low on tread. The tires do not give me confidence to ride too fast around corners and in the rain I barely reach a crawl from the lack of grip. I have also had a fair amount of punctures so far too. Initially the brakes where a joke and even after being in they where pathetic but I tried upgrading the front rotor size which made no noticeable difference. However, after some adjustments the brakes showed MASSIVE improvement and I now think they are really good (hurts my neck when I brake hard now!). The front fork isn't too bad, I'm finding it hard to justify upgrading it to a rockshox which is 60% of the price i paid for the whole bike! The preload does nothing major but luckily the fork is pretty well set up for my weight already. I have put a rack on the back and did a recent trip with around 27kg of weight loaded on the bike and everything held up great! I did need to upgrade the grips to ergonomic grips which also made the whole bike fell better controlled.

Overall I would recommend this bike because I personally don't think it is as bad as people make it out to be, and as components wear out it provides a great opportunity to upgrade parts and even learn about your bike which will greatly improve your riding experience!

[Jul 15, 2014]
Marty

OVERALL
Strength:

The longer I have it the less value I see. I have a Trek hybrid that has served me well, and still works very well after many years and virtually no maintenance. I expected the same from the Wahoo but was disappointed.

After having it for 18 months and primarily riding on asphalt bike paths and an occasional dirt road in S Florida, the front sprockets had to be replaced due to excessive wear and the bearing in the front fork is giving out (again I only ride on flat paths for the most part). I find the shifters to be mushy. On a brief trip to a hilly area in Georgia I was squeezing the brake handle as hard as I could going down a steep paved road but still could barely get to a complete stop. The pedals are undersized for a guy with size 10 shoes and my feet tend to slip off. There is only one Trek dealer in my area and that is a 40 mile round trip. Will look for another brand next time.

Poor quality components and wearing out quickly.

[Jun 18, 2014]
HOWARD

OVERALL
Strength:

Frame..brakes, seat, handlebars and front suspension forks are all passable

Gears, wheels and cranks are cheap

Have a 2012 Wahoo 29r. First let me start off by saying the frame is really nice. Slightly on the heavy side but no big deal its durable and looks really sharp. Most of the components suck though ill be honest... already warped the back single walled wheel just doing everyday dirt trail riding nothing major. id recommend splurging a little more for higher end bike with better components. Your going to end up having to replace everything on this bike down the line anyway. Really not worth the 600 when all you are getting is basically a descent frame with components that aren't up to the task with anything more than general commuting.

[Jun 03, 2014]
Dre

OVERALL
Strength:

Appearance, 29" wheels

Wheels, components don't hold up

We purchased this bike for my 12 year old son. He has ridden it to school and around town a few times, and then twice on mountain bike rides. After riding on the trails, we found the rear wheel to be excessively out of true. The second off-road visit resulted in the chain falling off and getting stuck causing the pedals not to freewheel. My call to service department at Trek gave me a "well this is a low-end mountain bike" response. I don't view nearly $600 as low end. Mid-range. Plus an 85 lb. 12 year old shouldn't cause the wheels to become out of true. He takes care of this bike, and the performance is disappointing.

[Apr 27, 2014]
Chris Fitz

OVERALL
Strength:

Price
Control is great
Saddle
29er

The fork is not the best, but its VERY good for the price. It has a double preload.

Brakes are pretty wimpy, but they are better than regular pad brakes.
Frame is really heavy, but it feels strong and handles well.

So I gave the value 5 chilis because the value is reaaaally good for the money. Everything on it is fair quality. Its more of a beginner bike, but if your just buying a mountain bike with a low budget this is a great bike.

Also if you are buying this bike just to ride on the streets i suggest not buying this bike. This is a mountain bike not a commute bike.

[Aug 09, 2013]
Alex

OVERALL
Strength:

Solid frame and perfect starter bike for the price!

Pedals and tires suck!

Mine was a 2012 but still love it! Tires and pedals are poor but easy upgrade. The way to go for a starter 29er!

[May 04, 2013]
Josh

OVERALL
Strength:

The frame.... This frame just feels right. It's not that heavy. Out of the box it's a great bike.

The tires suck and the pedals suck more.

All in all it rides awesome and it looks awesome. Could use a few upgrades that are on my list

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.