Trek Marlin 29er Hardtail

29ers are versatile enough to serve XC and trail riders, and their unbeatable efficiency and momentum make them the ultimate singlespeed weapon. Upgrades from Wahoo:

• Suspension fork lockout
  • Bontrager AT-850 rims
  • Bontrager SSR stem
  • SRAM X4 rear derailleur & shifters

• USER REVIEWS

[Sep 13, 2018]
    BassistBiker

OVERALL
    Strength:

Regarding the 2018 Trek Marlin 5

-Great looking bike, clean welds, and a nice finish (mine is like a matte silver)

-Very comfortable geometry (I have the large frame), it fits well, and doesn't cause fatigue.

-Stock hydraulic brakes are actually quite good, I'd prefer a 180mm rotor up front, but so far these brakes have held up great, and stop quite good (wet or dry).

-In "stock" form, the bike is capable on the road & gravel, it'll even handle "green" & some "blue" trails...I'd be afraid to throw it at a "black" trail though.

-All in all it's a great budget minded bike worthy of some upgrades, there are some forum members that will tell you it's not worth upgrading, I disagree, with a few key upgrades (see below) this bike becomes a very capable XC machine that also likes being tossed around on the trails

-It's a budget bike, so you are going to get budget components, you just can't get around it.

My upgrades are: (WAY BEYOND WHERE YOU NEED TO GO)

-New fork...dump that coil fork and toss an air fork on....this was the single best thing I did to this bike, it's a night & day difference.

-New grips (pretty much every sub $1000 bike needs that though.

-New pedals...same as above

-New bar and stem, this was a personal preference, the stem was WAY too long, and I wanted a bar with a bit more width, and a slightly different rise.

-New drivetrain, I switched to a 1x11 (new cranks, chain ring, BB, chain, rear derailleur, shifter and rear rim & cassette), this was again more of a personal preference, I wanted to simplify things, and like the "granny gear" that the 46 tooth cassette gives me.....NOTE: IF YOU SWITCH TO A 1X DRIVETRAIN YOU WILL NEED A NEW REAR WHEEL, THE FACTORY ONE ISN'T GOING TO WORK...all that being said, the factory 3x7 is just fine, but if you decide to stick with it, I would suggest at least a rear derailleur replacement, the factory Shimano Tourney is just plain awful when the terrain get rough.

-New dropper seat post, again personal preference, there is nothing wrong with the factory seat post or seat.

-New Velocity Cliffhanger wheel set, and new Maxxis tires (set up tubeless), the wheels I got because I'm a heavier rider, and I wanted something more "stout" and I had to upgrade the rear anyway due to the 1x11, (to be fair though, the factory Bontrager double wall rims are plenty tough), the factory tires are fine, but the Maxxis are considerably better.

All together I spent a PILE of money on this bike, way more than I needed to, but I learned a lot along the way, and now that it's done, it is perfect for what I need...YMMV

PM me if you'd like specific component part #s, or tech info.

$520
    2018
    [Apr 25, 2018]
    kenseth14

OVERALL
    Strength:

Hydraulic disc brakes on a $500 bike! Great frame. The red color really looks sharp. The bike offers a great platform to upgrade some parts and end up with a great multi purpose ride.

Shocks are low quality. These are my first upgrade. Seat is a ass buster, Tires are stock Bontrager and leave alot to be desired. Grips are good for riding around town but on long trail rides you may want to get some quality lock-on grips.

$540
    2018
    [Apr 07, 2018]
    space8stars

OVERALL
    Strength:

1st real bike ive owned trek marlin 5 2017 so fare ive enjoyed it very much just light riding for the 1st 100 miles just got to try it out on a real mtb trail and it did good last time i did this trail was on schwinn ranger witch some how stayed together but was super uncomfortable and needed the handle bars tighten every 5mins the trek did grate for 500$ i was happy with the frame bars levers i did upgrade the pedals and tires but other then that all stock every thing stayed tight and worked as it should what more could i ask for loved the paint and 29in rims skipped over roots and small rocks like nothing total miles on the bike id say 135 miles

my front wheel nut seems to come lose every now and then same with the rear wheel out on the trail but nothing a little lock tight cant fix other then that the stock tires are kinda slick upgrade asap if you plan to ride any trails

2017
    [Sep 22, 2017]
    MarshallMTB

OVERALL
    Strength:

Solid frame with pretty good geometry for XC trails. Mechanical disc brakes and sturdy wheels. Shimano components.

It's a 7x3 speed bike, so upgrading the drive train isn't straight forward. The brakes aren't great. Stock pedals, seat, and grips are rubbish.

The Trek Marlin 5 (2017) is actually a decent entry level bike. Sure, the components aren't great, and the fork is like a pogo stick, but I've taken it on local mountain trails and I have jumped it, went down rocky turns, crashed it a few times, and it's still working 100%. For the price $550 it is great for getting into the sport. I'm already thinking of upgrading to something twice the price, but for the money it's a great bike.

[Jan 24, 2017]
    omarlin29

OVERALL
    Strength:

highend frame with stable G2 geometry for aggressive riding.

forks and brakes suck ass, crankset and wheels are cheap and bulky

Have had this bike for about 3 years now and have fully built it up. I beat on this bike and it holds up like a high end machine. have fallen many times and have crashed down tube first into the corner of a stone wall, leaving only a small dent. im a 5' 10" rider with a 17.5in frame and think its a bit small but i can maneuver the bike how i want and forget how small it is when descending. I use this bike mainly for XC/Trail/DJ/Aggressive street riding (use to ride bmx) . Great all around bike after a few mandatory upgrades(forks, brakes, bigger bars, DH tires)

[Sep 18, 2016]
    Jack

OVERALL
    Strength:

The frame is great and it hasn't failed me. The geometry is pretty good too.

The grips are horrid, the back brake never worked properly from the start so I had to go get a new rotor and pads, the shocks are rock hard and they blew out on my yesterday, and the chain stretched out in 6 months of riding and broke my back cassete and hub.

This bike is great for its price, but it is beginner level only. After taking it out on some blues, blacks, and jump trails, this bike completely failed me. From the start I had replaced the grips, and I had to keep taking it in for various back brake problems. About 8 months after buying the bike I just got a new back rotor and pads. That fixed that problem. Two problem free rides and then my back cassete stopped engaging. I took it to a bike shop and they said my chain had gone through its life. In six moths?!
    The chain stretching ruined my back cassete and I had to replace it. Now that that that is fixed my fork is shot and it blew both seals.
    I will say that this bike is great for the price if you are a beginner, but every ride I have had on this bike something breaks.

[Mar 01, 2016]
    Jeff Buhrmann

OVERALL
    Strength:

Great price, responsiveness, 29" wheels

Components could be better, mostly the rear derailleur

I recently purchased this bike. My main uses are for commuting to work, and attaching a trailer for riding with my kid, and some light mountain biking.

I have really been enjoying the bike. I think it is a great bike for the price point.

I did the usual upgrades you get when you buy a new bike. Swapped out the pedals for spd's, changes the tubes to prestas, and added lizard skins to keep the goat heads from puncturing the tubes. Took off the reflectors, and of course added a saddle bag.

The biggest cons I have found about the bike are the rear derailleur needs to be upgraded. In my experience, even with cheaper mtn. Bikes. The derailleur is usually a better quality than the front.

I also found that the seat is too soft. I feel like I am sitting on a lazy boy couch. I will be upgrading the seat to something harder. I am not sure why others have found it to be so hard, but then again I am used to riding a road bike with an extremely stiff seat.

Great bike, glad I bought it.

Trek 4500

[Nov 01, 2015]
    Sean Bolden

OVERALL
    Strength:

Hydraulic disc brakes

Cheap pedals, some may find sea hard

Overall great bike. It is the cheapest you can get hydraulic disc brakes. The pedals are quite cheap and some may find the seat uncomfortable (It feels great to me as the one on my old bike was WAY worse!)

[Jan 20, 2015]
    Shane

OVERALL
    Strength:

Hydraulic disc brakes (Marlin 6), Frame, Style, G2 Geometry

Rims (single wall), Pedals, Seat, front and rear derailleur

2014 Trek Marlin 6 - After putting some miles on the bike and taking it on a few trails I have to say I am very please with this bike. For the price range I would say it is one of the best options if you want a new bike. A lot of the reviews on here call this a beginners bike, but I would say it is as least intermediate I take this bike on blue, and black (expert) trails every weekend and have not had any issues. That being said I am not on down hill trails with large jumps, this bike was not designed for that, and I would not recommend this bike for that type of ridding.

Now for the bad - Even though I have not had a problem with the bike yet, I know from past experience with other bikes the single wall rims are going to fail on me. The front and rear derailleur work but they are the cheapest for a reason. Peddles are junk replace them I put MG1's on the bike for $30 and they work great. The stock seat is not comfortable.. I added a XLC suspension seat post and Zefal Journey seat and now my bike is super comfortable.

In closing, if you are looking for a new bike and want to spend less then 600 this is a good buy. Go test it and a few others and see what fits you the best.

Trek 3700, Diamondback Overdrive, Trek 4300, Trek 3900, GT Timberline,

[Sep 21, 2014]
    Luke Schar

OVERALL
    Strength:

I have the Marlin Singlespeed so it is pretty light. Also the bike came with Maxxis so the tires are awesome.

The stock Fork and the brakes

I upgraded the Fork to a Rock Shox XC32 and love it. Its not a terribly expensive fork (only a few hundred) and rides very nicely. I also like the maxxis tires i have on it. The 29er wheels save ur butt a lot when riding to fast. I purchased it from my LBS at a very good price (379) so i got a lot of bang for my buck

Trek Wahoo

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.