Trek Mamba 29er Hardtail

29ers are versatile enough to serve XC and trail riders, and their unbeatable efficiency and momentum make them the ultimate singlespeed weapon. Upgrades from Marlin:

• RockShoxXC32 suspension fork
  • Shimano 9-speed Alivio & Deore drivetrain
  • Bontrager 29-3 tires
  • Shimano hydraulic disc brakes

• USER REVIEWS

[May 07, 2020]
    Woodthing

OVERALL
    Strength:

Good looking bike. Got a great deal on price at my local bike shop, paid no where near $1000.00. Great frame, decent derailleurs, crank and wheels. I'm 6'4 215 pounds and this bike fits me pretty well, especially coming off a 2002 KHS TEAM. I gave up a lot switching to this bike as my KHS had top of the line XTR everything but, it the small frame and was killing me on the road! Super glad I bought the Mamba - no regrets!

Weight and Brakes! Had to upgrade the brakes after multiple attempts to bleed them. Ive always had "two finger" brakes on all my bikes and these Hayes were scary

Price Paid:
    2013
    [Nov 27, 2017]
    Chris Sanford

OVERALL
    Strength:

Wheels, Frame, Brakes, Shock

Rear Derailleur, Grips, Pedals

I've had a 2013 Trek Mamba for 4 years now and put countless trail miles on the bike. The trail I ride 2-3 times a week is littered with roots, a few decent drops and a few jumps and the bike has been great. The main items I didn't like were the rear derailleur not being a clutch type and after a few years the front fork failed on a very rocky rough trail which wasn't surprising. I upgraded to a Fox air shock and eventually also upgraded to a 1x setup with a clutch type derailleur and have fallen in love with the bike all over again. This is a perfect beginner bike that can easily be upgraded as things wear and your skill level increases. I think I'm the only person on here that likes the brakes not being so touchy...

Trek XCalibur
    Trek Marlin

[Aug 26, 2016]
    graham

OVERALL
    Strength:

Awesome hardtail ,i have owned and ridden many mtb's ,Scalpel 2015, cannondale F hardtail,Felt hardtail, trek ex8,kona operater, hi-fi's and many more,this bike handles great ,brakes good and is very reliable.

Weight, it is a bit heavy ,seat is junk .

I have just bought a like new 2013 , it was never on a trail and only ridden a hand full of times. I ride Reddish Know,massanutten resort and find this cheap bike to out handle many high dollar bikes i have owned and still own,more fun than the saclpel 4 i currently own. Great G2 Geo. Strong Wheel set. I'm 240 and over 6' ,sturdy bike.

[Jun 15, 2015]
    Jbar

OVERALL
    Strength:

Excellent entry level bike. For the beginner to even intermediate this bike handles well in the corners, climbs and for a heavier bike is a fast ride.

Weight could be a weakness, but then again, it's entry level so why does weight matter and if that bothers you, it can be easily remedied. If you're an advanced rider then sure...this bike's not for you but for the average Joe or for people who enjoy riding bikes....this one really has no weaknesses. It will do what you want it to do and more than likely a bit more.

With the OE I put this bike through a very decent amount of abuse and it stood tall. I'm 6'3" and about 205 lbs. So after a year of becoming obsessed with MTB'ing, I've upgraded everything sans headset and fork (those will be next maybe..going to wear out OE first). Now my skills are advancing to another level and I'm loving my Mamba even more. I waited and got a deal on this bike. I was diligent and patient in choosing the upgrades and got deals on all of them.....and yes, I could have just spent the extra coin on a higher end bike......but now, this one is unique to me and is my own. It now weighs around 26.5 lbs and it was originally at least 32+ pounds! I'm not necessarily a weight weenie per say....I just went down the upgrade path which honestly...if you get into this....is a slippery downhill slope LOL. It gets a ton of compliments though and I loved this bike from the beginning even before the upgrades so it's a fantastic bike.

1980 Schwinn Phantom, Trek 820, Trek Wahoo, Mongoose Vinson.

[Dec 19, 2014]
    Devon

OVERALL
    Strength:

this is a great bike I have owned this bike for 1 yeah now and I haven't had to put any money into it and it rides like a dream! the brakes sometimes seam to scream sometimes but if u sand down the pads and discs they seam to be fine. I have ridden this bike hard and holds up to my standards, yes I would not use this bike for downhill biking but this bike wasn't made for that it was made for a cross country feel and I have other bikes that do this for me! for the price u cant beat it this is a solid 5 star bike.

stock tires wear fast but good for stock!
    no complaints for this bike.

[Sep 01, 2014]
    noh. odell

Strength:

back disc brake chatters on every application. took it to shop, replaced rotor, came back in the first few rides. seems to shift on its own wben it feels like it. VERY disappointed.

after owning this bike for 10 months now, im sorry I ever bought it

[Jul 30, 2014]
    ProBiiker

OVERALL
    Strength:

Very easy to handle, smooth riding, and shocks are fairly decent

Brakes & tires definitely, my bike has been to the shop twice in 1 year

All in all it is a good bike, I've done some nasty jumps and trick riding (catwalks, tricks, etc) and it holds up well.

To many bikes to name

[Jul 02, 2014]
    Blaise

OVERALL
    Strength:

fork, wheels

weight, petals, brakes, cranks, drivetrain, tires,

ugh, not much to say. this bike is good for the average person who is mainly on light trails and pavement. the forks are okay. the brakes are okay. everything is okay but nothing pops out in your mind as a great item. if you want to start a project bike then this is a great frame, but everything else is ridiculously heavy and brittle. i broke the petals in the first month (ball bearings exploded) so i got some new ones, the hydraulic brakes are horrible for the first 5 months, the bike rattles so much you need to re tighten all the bolts every time you come to a stop (thats if you can come to a stop) they are so weak. also hydraulic breaks are supposed to be great for all weather. when it rains the breaks lose 70% of their already lackluster stopping power. the fork is decent, if you plan on going off any jumps/drops higher than 12 inches then you will need a stiffer spring which i imagine you can order from rockshox. the whole thing weighs about 40 pounds on a good day. and i have accessories mounted on it so its even worse. i got to choose this bike for my birthday and honestly this is the worst birthday gift i have ever received. i have spent countless hours repairing this bike ( i work at a bike shop and mechanic bikes so its not like i don't know what I'm doing) I wanted a full suspension bike but in the words of the bike seller "you don't need it" ill show him who needs full suspension when i walk in there with a cracked frame and forks split in two. wheres my free 1 year maintenance now huh? its reliable ill give it that, it is constantly there, WAITING FOR ME TO FIX IT. i recently had a run in with a tree, literally. and snapped the rear brake lever. now i know you cant just replace the lever and you have to buy a whole new master cylinder. its a good bike for a kid who is biking to his friends house or to work couple times a week, but if your even thinking about becoming a mountain biker this bike is going to send you in the wrong direction with its weight, squeakiness, lack of stopping power, and over all poor design. i have the gary fisher edition 2013 (for the record) please excuse the spelling mistakes I'm sure i have made, but as long as i got my point through its fine. if you buy this bike, you will regret it.

[Jun 26, 2014]
    Robert

OVERALL
    Strength:

Brakes - Control
    Everything not listed in weaknesses

Brakes - Stopping power
    Stock pedals
    Tires - F&R -
    The bike has come out from under me a few times while leaning in hard on road rides.
    The rear end always slides around on me while on sand/dirt/mud.
    Depending on the surface the bike can feel uber squirrelly leaving you to constantly calculate body movement/weight distribution to avoid bailing.

Bought this bike in Aug of 2013 for $1099 CND it now has over 900km of mixed trail and road.

Swapped the pedals for eggbeaters during the first week.

Will be getting new tires for it once it crests the year mark due to them being the only real downside on my adventure thus far as noted in the weaknesses.

The Hayes breaks are amazing for control though certainly leave you wanting more stopping power, though it may just be the large amount of lever movement required. It feels like they need the air bled out of them.

I had done an awfully large amount of research regarding 26ers and components and was looking at a specialized crosstrail when the dude at my LBS showed me the mamba. Rode it around the parking lot, slept on it and bought it the next day with very little research into 29ers.
    I would certainly do it again.

None.

[Jun 02, 2014]
    Dan

OVERALL
    Strength:

Big ol' wagon wheels roll over everything, great on hard packed trails, climbs great.

A little heavy, original tires too thin, components are a little cheesy.

Great bang for the buck. I have a 26" full suspension Gary Fisher that I normally ride, I bought the Mamba as a spare bike and to ride on the road with my wife (I couldn't bring myself to buy a road bike) and Trek gave me $600 towards a new bike since I broke the swing arm on my old VRX and couldn't get a replacement part. But this season I've been putting the Mamba through the wringer. It's holding up pretty well. It's fast, climbs well and is beefy enough to take a beating. Yeah some of the components are a little cheesy but so far so good. If I continue to ride it regularly I'll probably at least change to a fatter tire and when components start wearing out, upgrade them. All in all it's a pretty fun ride.

'09 Gary Fisher Pro Caliber full suspension
    '99 Trek VRX full suspension

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.